PDA

View Full Version : L-100 versus L-110 Poll.

Don C
05-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Let's just say, hypotheticaly, that there was going to be a raffle. And the raffle prize was a set of restored vintage JBL loudspeakers. Which raffle prize would be better?
1 JBL L-100s, the most popular and well known model.
2 Or, the model that JBL replaced the L100 with, JBL L-110s.
Do not be too concerned about the condition, as they will be restored. Dog not included.
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/jbl/1.jpg
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/jbl/3.jpg
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/jbl/8.jpg
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/jbl/9.jpg

Mr. Widget
05-15-2004, 10:39 AM
How much for the dog?:D

speakerdave
05-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Yeah. Marketing says L100.

speakerdave
05-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Great garage-sale-ing, Don!

Figge
05-15-2004, 01:21 PM
i must go with the L-100. since iv´e heard both of them.

Don McRitchie
05-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Given the choice of just these two, I'd go with the L100 as well given it has the highest name recognition.

Don

boputnam
05-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Don McRitchie
...it has the highest name recognition. You got that right... :banghead:

Now back to the dog - and Widget, you steal any more of my lines and, well, I know where you live... :rotfl:

4313B
05-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Yeah but Bo aren't you just dying to hear a pair of charge-coupled L100's? :p

boputnam
05-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Actually, that was what I was going to post - in suggesting the L100's - but in unusually demur fashion, I elected to not offer-up you services so wantonly... :slink:

Mr. Widget
05-15-2004, 07:13 PM
In lieu of the dog I'll vote for the L-100s.;)

sonofagun
05-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Where will the proceeds for said raffle go?

Yes, I can furnish new grilles.

johnaec
05-16-2004, 09:13 AM
I initially put my vote in for the L110 before I realized these were for a raffle instead of personal use. For a raffle I too think the L100 would have more name recognition.

John

Don C
05-16-2004, 10:13 AM
"Where will the proceeds for said raffle go?"
The proceeeds would be used to support the Project May loudspeaker team.

Charley Rummel
05-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Is that your "Sub Woofer" in the picture?? :rotfl:

Gee, I'll bet 'Jingle Bells', by Don Charles and his Singng Dogs comes through with a new sense of realism!! :rotfl:

I know, don't tell me: your wife got fed up with your interest in audio, and now you're living out in the dog house!!!:rotfl: And that's a picture of your new landlord telling you to turn it down!!! :rotfl:

I couldn't resist. That's an adorable chocolat lab, by the way.

Regards,
Charley

BTW, I vote for the L100's

Don C
05-16-2004, 03:34 PM
I find that my JBLs sound much better with the dog sitting in my lap. She is way too big to be a lap dog, but she doesn't know that.

BigBamBoom
05-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I have to say L100.
Much better woofer with the L100. The surround type (accordion/pleated/corrugated????) ....I never did really know the proper term....The type of surround used is simply the very best design, period.
But, L100 with those exellent componets......would be fabulous in a larger cabinet with a different Xover design
Just my 2cents....Russ

Mr. Widget
05-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by BigBamBoom
I have to say L100.
Much better woofer with the L100. The surround type (accordion/pleated/corrugated????) ....I never did really know the proper term....The type of surround used is simply the very best design, period.
But, L100 with those exellent componets......would be fabulous in a larger cabinet with a different Xover design
Just my 2cents....Russ

Like this in the C-70 Alpha?

Figge
05-18-2004, 12:40 AM
hey! cool speakers. is thet the same LF:s? never seen before. sound?

theres probaply a good reason why jbl stoped uning that surrounding. but i like it too. u never have to change it.

boputnam
05-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Hey, Widget...

Pertty cool. Is one each of them a PR...? Never seen that one before.

And, where'd you get the lawn... ;)

Don McRitchie
05-18-2004, 07:10 AM
They are very rare. They only show up in the 1969 and 1970 catalogs. The driver complement is the same as the original L100 but with the addition of a passive radiator. The system actually predates the L100 which would not be released until late 1970.

They were very expensive in their day due to the woodwork involved in the large furniture grade cabinets and this probably hastened their demise. BTW Widget, how did you came across that picture?

Don McRitchie
05-18-2004, 07:58 AM
The surround type (accordion/pleated/corrugated????) ....The type of surround used is simply the very best design

From the perspective of longevity and ruggedness, the pleated surrounds are superior. However, from an accoustic perspective, they are wanting and it is for this reason that JBL never uses them in systems desinged for accuracy and low distortion. Quite simply, the pleated surrounds cannot be made to respond linearly with displacement. Conversly, the half roll foam surrounds are extremely linear and have better damping. That is why they are exclusively used on JBL's later monitors and home systems.

johnaec
05-18-2004, 08:30 AM
There's been a pair of those Alphas on eBay in the last few days, but I can't find them now. It seems to me they were calling it something else, though...

John

boputnam
05-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Yea, Don.

The content of this Thread remind me of Technical Notes, Volume 1 Number 3A (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/notes/tech1-3a.htm) which is certainly referred to on this Forum, but it wouldn't be bad to refreshen for our newer contributors... ;)

Mr. Widget
05-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
Hey, Widget...

Pertty cool. Is one each of them a PR...? Never seen that one before.

And, where'd you get the lawn... ;)

Yep, each box has a PR. Those PRs are very rare as well.

The lawn resides in Ohio.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=3096290021&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Over the years I've noticed these a couple of times. They are basically a supersized 4310.

Don, they have several nice shots of them from that auction. I got your message about the Project May photos. I'll try to get them shot before my resident photographer takes off again. I don't own a camera. Since my wife is a commercial photographer I just haven't needed one.

Widget

Don McRitchie
05-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Widget

Thanks for the link. They look to be in wonderful condition. Even though they were in production for only two years, they must have sold a few since this is the fourth pair I've seen on Ebay. That is certainly more that I've seen of the Aquarius 1 and 2 from the same era.

Thanks for making arrangements for the photos I requested. I look forward to seeing your wife's work.

Regards
Don

porschedpm
05-21-2004, 03:03 AM
I voted for the L100's. But hey, as long as the L100s have to be refurbished anyway, why not hot rod them with some 4312a/b/c drivers and x-overs.

4313B
05-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Much better woofer with the L100.That would be your opinion...

It would probably be best for people to A/B a fully functional pair of L110's against a fully function pair of L100's before deciding which they preferred.

Regis
05-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Having thought about this for a number of days, I am going to submit my vote for the L-110's. I've heard the L-100's and I believe JBL got it right when they came out with the L-110's. The eight inch woofer is a powerful little unit and for a bookshelf speaker it delivers surprisingly good bass, that's tight and accurate. The LE5 delivers a decent amount of midrange that's very well balanced out against the other components and comes through with a rich and filled out sound. Finally, the 033 IMHO, has to be superior to the LE-25, the dome dispersing the highs quite well and with surprising clarity.

While I was working on the L-150's off to the side, I decided that the little L-110's can sit on the floor and serenade me. They sounded so good, that I had to stop working, open a fine English Stout and sit on the couch, just to appreciate how excellent they sound. Lou Rittenour and David Benoit poured melofluidly out in a rich flow of sound. An underrated little champion for sure, that doesn't have the infamous L-100 moniker going for it, but does the job of delivering quality sound quite well.

4313B
05-25-2004, 10:17 AM
"The eight inch woofer is a powerful little unit and for a bookshelf speaker it delivers surprisingly good bass, that's tight and accurate."

Well, you're talking about an LE10 that has the same motor as those goofy pancake twelves and roughly half the mass to move with it. ;) It's no shocker the LE10 was an engineer's favorite.

"The LE5 delivers a decent amount of midrange that's very well balanced out against the other components and comes through with a rich and filled out sound."

Kind of amazing how G.T. tamed that little screamer down eh? Some people have complained that the L110 and L212 lacked the presence of earlier JBL systems. Duh! That's the point! Some people don't require the "extreme" presence of an L100 to appreciate recorded media.

"Finally, the 033 IMHO, has to be superior to the LE-25, the dome dispersing the highs quite well and with surprising clarity."

The larger one inch coils and smaller radiating diameters of the 066 and 033 went a long way in improving JBL high frequency response.

"Lou Rittenour and David Benoit poured melofluidly out in a rich flow of sound."

:rotfl: Ok, agreed. It's Lee Ritenour though. ;)