PDA

View Full Version : new to this forum.. Hi.. need some reccomendations for the JBL C60 Soverign

aaronz28
01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and have some questions regarding extracing maximum performance from my JBL Soveriegns.

Mine are the ones with the 375 horn and the bullet tweeter.

For years, I ran a McIntosh C26 preamp into a McIntosh 2505 (50 wpc) into my JBLs,

but a fellow audiophile turned me onto the idea of bi=amping and then tri=amping once i was able to upgrade.

the speakers are completely original and sound fantastic... but i could use some help with suggestions on matching the best gear to that system.

i wasn't able to afford, or find, a decent crossover that would do three way, but i did find a unit by Pyramid... which appears to be a dj type crossover.

it has multiple crossover adjustments, but fixxed slope of 12db per octave,, which i'm not sure is a good thing for these speakers.

I'm using my Mac 2505 into the horns and tweeters, and a Soundcraftsman pa2x200 (which is 200wpc) into the 15s.

can anyone tell me what the ideal setup would be?

I am currrently bidding on a Pioneer SF850 crossover (as i'm told that is about as good as it gets for vintage crossover gear without spending thousands.)

and i just came into a McIntosh MC275 amp...

i am thinking about selling the Soundcraftsman amp, and using the MC275, but i'm not sure i want to mix solid state and tube amps on the same speakers...

i have to have my MC2505 fixed, so that might wind up for sale as well, in which case i'd find a second Mac tube amp.

can anyone lend some advice as to what the absolute best thing to do with these speakers would be?

I listen to all types of music... classical to classic rock and jazz.

many thanks

aaron

[email protected]

jbl_daddy
01-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Bi-amp the C60's, use a pair of Crown PS-400 amps with a VFX-2 Crown crossover. Very clean, I have a close family member who uses three PS-200's to tri-amp a Paragon. The results are impressive.:)