PDA

View Full Version : Problem with BARON C38

drummerorso
01-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi to everybody, it's a pleasure to join this forum, I found a lots of good suggetions.
I'm writing from Italy and so, first of all, I apologize for my bad english.
I restored a pair of JBL BARON C38 030 (D130, 075 N2400) but I have a problem with high frequencies, they sound a little padded, it's normal?
I've to say that I am a beginner from a technical point of view, I'm just a musician, so I use only my ears to check if something sound bad.:p
Maybe the problem is with crossover 'cause are the only things that I did not check (the potentiometers aren't original).
I tried to turn them in all of their positions and I noticed that the soud changes, but Is not clear at all.
I hope that you understand what I wrote.
I hope that someone helps.
Thank you very very much
Ciao Giacomo
My stereo system is:
MARANTZ 1200
MARANTZ 120 Receiver
MARANTZ 5025 Tape Deck

JBL Dog
01-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi to everybody, it's a pleasure to join this forum, I found a lots of good suggetions.
I'm writing from Italy and so, first of all, I apologize for my bad english.
I restored a pair of JBL BARON C38 030 (D130, 075 N2400) but I have a problem with high frequencies, they sound a little padded, it's normal?
I've to say that I am a beginner from a technical point of view, I'm just a musician, so I use only my ears to check if something sound bad.:p
Maybe the problem is with crossover 'cause are the only things that I did not check (the potentiometers aren't original).
I tried to turn them in all of their positions and I noticed that the soud changes, but Is not clear at all.
I hope that you understand what I wrote.
I hope that someone helps.
Thank you very very much
Ciao Giacomo
My stereo system is:
MARANTZ 1200
MARANTZ 120 Receiver
MARANTZ 5025 Tape Deck

Welcome to the forum. You may want to have your 075's checked. I had the same problem in my Metregon. The 075's were working, but sounded very flat. I pulled both 075's and put a different set in and they sounded fine. The diaphragms in your tweeters may be original and can deteriorate over time.

Good luck!

:D

robertbartsch
01-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I suppose, one possible cause may be old crossover components (e.g., capacitors) that need to be replaced.

I'm currently re-building a set of 075 bullet nose tweeters for a system; the rebuild includes re-charging the magnets and replacing the diaphragms.

drummerorso
01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Thank you both.
I use new diaphgrams bought from U.S.A.. I hope that someone here in Italy can re-charges the magnets.
I'll try to use another crossover to check if the problem depends on it (I hope so..., it will be easier)