PDA

View Full Version : Ideas/Suggestions? I want to build a 2x14 bass guitar cabinet

oldsoundz
01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Just as the title reads. I've got some Le14h's that the original owner refoamed poorly and on the wrong side, not to mention, one of the cones has been punctured.

I was looking at this empty TruSonic cabinet I have and thought of how cool of a bass cab that would be with a couple of 14s. Does anyone have any clue on how far off I am here?

Is it a complete waste of time? Ideas to make it viable?

Allanvh5150
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Although I have never tried Bass with LE14's, I would think that you will smoke them in no time flat. Best to go with an E140 or the like.:)

Fred Sanford
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I would never do it with foam-edged drivers, myself. I've never seen any good come from that practice, only bad.

je

sonofagun
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
What is the application? Just for practice at moderate SPL or high SPL for gigs? What kind & power of amp will be used?

jcrobso
01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
A LE14 will not handle the power levels! I use D140F, K140F or E140 for bass.
You could use 4 K120/E120s in a cabinet but you may not get the deep lows with them. If you want 4 speakers make 2 cabinets with 2-15", this will easier to handle and mover around than a huge box with 4-15" in it. John

oldsoundz
01-21-2009, 05:06 PM
What is the application? Just for practice at moderate SPL or high SPL for gigs? What kind & power of amp will be used?

Definitely just for at home practice. I don't need to break out any windows. I might occasionally want to "rock out" but I don't require earthquake accompaniment.

I have an old Crown Com-Tech 410 laying around that I considered... it does 205 per channel or 425 into 8 ohm bridged. Of course, I don't have to give it full power. I am also open to any other suggestions here.

Thanks for your replies

subwoof
01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
"give it full power" ?

There are no "power" controls on amplifiers, just gain. A peak that generates enough voltage swing will kill the woofers no matter where you set it.

Figure the LE14s to last about 1 song. Did that for a bass player back in the 80's and he was a lounge lizard.

sub

jcrobso
01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Definitely just for at home practice. I don't need to break out any windows. I might occasionally want to "rock out" but I don't require earthquake accompaniment.

I have an old Crown Com-Tech 410 laying around that I considered... it does 205 per channel or 425 into 8 ohm bridged. Of course, I don't have to give it full power. I am also open to any other suggestions here.

Thanks for your replies
When Fender started using JBL speakers they took stock D130s, they didn't last very long. So JBL started making the "F" series which could handle higher power levels and the demands of "live" music. John

Fred Sanford
01-22-2009, 05:26 PM
When Fender started using JBL speakers they took stock D130s, they didn't last very long. So JBL started making the "F" series which could handle higher power levels and the demands of "live" music. John

Harvey's gone into the "why we created the F series" here a couple of times, I think I remember it being more because of Fender over-tightening the speaker frames than higher power handling. I could be wrong, though.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16704

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14876

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10552

je

sonofagun
01-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Oldsoundz, have we answered your inquiry?

Doctor_Electron
01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
If you are interested in a more novel design, I would, from experience, suggest you get ahold of the Speaker Builder Mag issue from the early 1980's, with the article "Build a bass tri-horn cabinet for live bass guitar" (Title approximate). When equipped with the preferred of two feasible drivers, an EVM 15" bass speaker, this design is a marvel of engineering. It features [relatively] light weight, superior portability, and above all excellent performance. I think the JBL K or E 140 was also
a compatible choice but the designer preferred the
EV for ultimate performance in this design. The project is also fairly easy to construct and has a low materials cost.

oldsoundz
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I appreciate you all saving me from an upset :applaud:

I just picked this all tube Ampeg VT-22 up last night, with original Altec 417-8h Series II's. 100 watt (conservative) RMS.

This is my second VT-22, I love them. Any ideas on how the EVM15(b?) design would match up? Can it handle the power?

The VT-22 is the same as a V4/V4B which has a history of being used for bass and for guitar.

sonofagun
01-29-2009, 06:25 AM
How much (I'm sitting down)? :blink:

stephane RAME
01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Hello,
My old Fender Twin Reverb Silverface amplifier was equipped with JBL.
Very good sound.
Stéphane :)

oldsoundz
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
How much (I'm sitting down)? :blink:

I paid the modest sum of $300 for this little gem.

In further looking at it, I find that the dolly it sits on is Ampeg and was probably purchased with the amp. Aside from the obvious ugly on the grill cloth, this amp is in VERY GOOD condition.

All original 7027a power tubes look perfect. The gent who I acquired it from said he played it twice in the 12 years he owned it and one of those times was to let me check it out. WOW!

I am going to take it and have it checked by my amp guy and have any needed work done. Get a new grill cloth and this thing will be like new.

BTW Stephane, nice lookin Fender! I think those are the first orange ferrite drivers I've seen.

What did you give?

stephane RAME
01-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Hello,
Instead, I have a Fender Amp Hot Rod Deluxe fitted with a speaker close to 12 inches and amended by adding a second speaker of 10 inches.
Lighter and sounds good.
Stéphane :blink:

b3keys
04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I ran keyboards thru 2 D140F's for about 30 years. One heckova speaker (I destroyed the original Fender 12"s, and the replacements (can't remember the brand they replaced the originals with). Seems I paid an EXTRA $400 for the pair of JBL's (which I believe Fender said they would warranty for life)
They are still going! Too heavy for me to haul around anymore... should sell 'em but.....

jerry_rig
04-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Any ideas on how the EVM15(b?) design would match up? Can it handle the power?

The VT-22 is the same as a V4/V4B which has a history of being used for bass and for guitar.

Hi Oldsoundz,

In the mid 1970s, I used an Ampeg V4B to drive a horn loaded 15" JBL (with an accordion surround, perhaps a 2216) with very good results. Nothing like a good tube power amp for bass -- at moderate levels. If you want to shake the rafters, then solid state is the only way to go.

Jerry