PDA

View Full Version : Records are Back!

jblnut
01-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Greetings all,

Although I'm not as active on this forum as I once was, I do check in from time to time to see who is doing what. I thought I'd contribute a little here as I'm very excited that vinyl seems to be making a real comeback. I went up to my local music store the other day (Newbury Comics, Boston area) and was quite surprised to see a small section of brand new records. I was even more shocked to find audiophile versions of classic recordings and not just 12" R&B/House singles. They had many, many things to choose from and I know where my free money is going in the months to come.

Long story short, I left there with brand new, 180 gram copies of:

Van Morrison "Moondance"
U2 "Joshua Tree"
Santana "Abraxas"
Hendrix "Axis Bold as Love"

I had to leave behind AC/DC, Allman Bros, Clapton, Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, Floyd, etc. All were 180 gram audiophile records and most were reasonably priced (under $30). Some were under $20.

I'm excited as hell to be listening to absolutely stunning copies of classic records again. I invested in a new preamp finally (Mac C220) and an outboard MC step-up preamp (Pro-Ject Tube Box II) and once again the 250's have proved they still have more detail to give. I keep upgrading components over the years and every time they prove to me why I bought them.

JBL and classic vinyl...it's 1983 all over again, only better :).

jblnut

Mr. Widget
01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
JBL and classic vinyl...it's 1983 all over again, only better :)Vinyl never left my favorite local record store... Amoeba Records, but your report is very good news indeed!

I don't go into audio shops much these days, but in the last year I did manage to pop into a couple and I have noticed far more turntables that I saw in them a decade or so ago.

BTW: How is the Joshua Tree album? I have the original CD and it is very disappointing.

Widget

Robh3606
01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
They have a whole row of vinyl at my local Best Buy.

Rob:)

SEAWOLF97
01-18-2009, 07:28 PM
go here .... http://www.musicdirect.com/free_catalog.php

get catalog ....nearly EVERYTHING is available on vinyl.

they even have LP's @ 45 rpm

prices OK ....its a great read, if nothing else. :)

In this months Stereopile magazine , they mention that LP's have many , many more titles available , and greatly outsell SACD's

jblnut
01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
BTW: How is the Joshua Tree album? I have the original CD and it is very disappointing.

Widget

Well...it's a whole lot better than the CD I can say for sure. There were two different LP releases at the store, both on 180 gram disks. One was a single record and the other (for a few $ more) had it split onto two. I bought the two record set and I really like it. These guys aren't exactly studio wizards (or even really serious players but that's another discussion) but they can write a good song and this is one of their strongest releases I think. Bono's voice comes across very well but the mix is a bit dense at times. I think it's too much echo/delay on the guitar mostly.

I get where you're coming from - an "audiophile" recording of U2 is a bit of an oxymoron but this comes pretty close.

Hope I haven't offended any U2 fans here. I'm just talking about the recording and the mix - the music speaks for itself.

jblnut

scott fitlin
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes, there is small batch vinyl available, BUT, as for SERIOUSLY EXTENSIVE CATALOG of CURRENT POP MUSIC genres I don't know.

And those 180gr pressings are good, but, for the current pop, dance, etc, I don't know if we will ever see vinyl as we once had in abundance, that way.

Take the DJ/Club market for example, we used MORE vinyl than anyone, and Technics just DISCONTINUED The 1200 Turntable. This was a SERIOUS SELLER, and so was our vinyl.

Small batch, audiophile vinyl never actually went away. And, yes, Vinyl still has that Vinyl character everyone loves.

Mr. Widget
01-19-2009, 11:19 PM
These guys aren't exactly studio wizards (or even really serious players but that's another discussion) but they can write a good song and this is one of their strongest releases I think. Bono's voice comes across very well but the mix is a bit dense at times. I think it's too much echo/delay on the guitar mostly.I have always enjoyed the Rattle and Hum soundtrack versions of the J. Tree material better than the original studio mixes... I also enjoy the DVD, but it too is sonically challenged. Ultimately it is the music that matters, and especially back then, these boys connected.

Widget

jeenie67
01-21-2009, 07:04 PM
....................don't forget the Salvation Army....19 a copy..just hold them up to the light and go for it. And Goodwill....25 cents each..so what if you get a bad one I put em' under my plants to protect the carpeting.....and garage sales.........

maxwedge
01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I have about 400 records from the 60s, 70s and 80s and don't even have a turntable anymore! Got rid of my cheap TT meaning to get a better one but never did, because cds are so damn easy!:banghead:

Audiobeer
01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Send me a list I'll take them! :D
I just bought a Technics SL-1210M5G turntable and Denon 160 cartridge.

Mr. Widget
01-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Send me a list I'll take them! :D
I just bought a Technics SL-1210M5G turntable and Denon 160 cartridge.I'm much closer... I'll pick 'em up!

Widget

maxwedge
01-22-2009, 06:12 AM
No No No those aren't for sale.:D I've been lookin' for a turntable, really.:p

jeenie67
01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Just received an absolutely mint copy of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. $6 delivered from the bay. Brings back memories. Fired up the B&O TT to play it, just for those old feelings of........happiness....excitement with a new record! And ....oh..... just what I used to do years ago...call up some friends....come on over! BYOB .... I just got....and they came! ....again! love and miss the times gone by..relive em' I say!. Bought The Who, Who's Next on CD for $5 too this afternoon. Great album oops CD. Playing it now. Everything sounds great. Maybe it's the mindset....who cares....We had a great time all afternoon. Classes start Monday so we take advantage of this last week. I'll tell ya' these guys..and girls too..come over, take a seat and know they're about to have an experience, every time. One always follows me to the TT and watches as I swipe the grooves and dust the needle...smiling looking at me like I'm a scientist or something. Watching my every move. Everybody just stares at the rack of stuff and little blinking lights and ....... absorbs every wave of music! I think there's nothing like the series of operations one goes to putting on an album. It' a ballet of preparation for the opus. A time to discuss the content of the selection or who knows what. It's how I did it before and how I do it for my friends and me now, with no discerning words about the format or anything else. These guys (and girls) know better...they know they're in for something special...something they can't experience elsewhere...to me just a good stereo...to them, KILLER DUDE!!!

scott fitlin
01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Just received an absolutely mint copy of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. $6 delivered from the bay. Brings back memories. Fired up the B&O TT to play it, just for those old feelings of........happiness....excitement with a new record! And ....oh..... just what I used to do years ago...call up some friends....come on over! BYOB .... I just got....and they came! ....again! love and miss the times gone by..relive em' I say!. Bought The Who, Who's Next on CD for $5 too this afternoon. Great album oops CD. Playing it now. Everything sounds great. Maybe it's the mindset....who cares....We had a great time all afternoon. Classes start Monday so we take advantage of this last week. I'll tell ya' these guys..and girls too..come over, take a seat and know they're about to have an experience, every time. One always follows me to the TT and watches as I swipe the grooves and dust the needle...smiling looking at me like I'm a scientist or something. Watching my every move. Everybody just stares at the rack of stuff and little blinking lights and ....... absorbs every wave of music! I think there's nothing like the series of operations one goes to putting on an album. It' a ballet of preparation for the opus. A time to discuss the content of the selection or who knows what. It's how I did it before and how I do it for my friends and me now, with no discerning words about the format or anything else. These guys (and girls) know better...they know they're in for something special...something they can't experience elsewhere...to me just a good stereo...to them, KILLER DUDE!!!The Who! One of my favorite who songs is " Eminence Front " and I have that on 12in, and IF I put my TT,s back, IT STILL SOUNDS WICKED!

After I finished my days work, I got an urge to fire the BIG Eldorado sound system up, cause I havent played it in a few weeks, I started spinning some fresh downloads, MAN, I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE UNDER MY FEET, I DO!

BUT, I have all the SpaceTek arms formy computers, and CD TT,s, I HAVE been toying with the notion of putting some TT,s back on their rubber band suspensions in my console!

We will what way I decide to go, I been gettin an urge to spin some vinyl.

:applaud:

scott fitlin
01-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Now if I could only remember which one of my storages I have MY copies of the YESSONGS albums stored in!

ROUNDABOUT, :applaud:

jeenie67
01-23-2009, 01:27 AM
And the Gods made love. As the ancient goddess Minerva pondered an alternative to her mundane existence, a question of meld...It came in a vision....the Greek God Eros.... a proposition presented. Furor abounded. Minerva, undaunted, set the sails. She would in all clandestine maneuver....meet. Circumscriptions agreed...the stratagem advanced. Eros procured the necessary artifacts and bounded aloft towards the heavens. Minerva elated, followed at pace.
Eros positioned this drawn marble disc in circumlunar course. Minerva drew a sliver of her silken hair and with a flare of solar cooperation, crystallized not only the knife of transferal, but the vehicle of adulation. Eros with coruscation, stationed the object of their ardency. "Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon" 30th Anniversary Edition on 200 gram vinyl.

Thanks Tom and Scott.

jblnut
01-23-2009, 10:33 AM
You sure it wasn't the Cisco records recent release of Steely Dan's Aja they were after ? I just got mine after reading one rave review after another all over the web. This may be one of the best - if not THE best - record I've ever heard. :applaud::applaud::applaud:

If you're a Dan fan and still into vinyl, this one is worth every penny.....

jblnut

jeenie67
01-23-2009, 11:13 AM
...so little resource. Thanks. Another to add to the list. When an opportunity arises, the list comes out of my pocket and a choice is made. Every time I'm shopping, I scan the racks of media looking for anything interesting or of such value that a purchase is made. Yesterday a welcomed find...The Who, Who's Next. It's been on my list for a while and here it pops up for $4.99 on CD. Don't know the manufacturer, doesn't matter. It does sound excellent, Pete's acoustic guitar and electric circular pounding of a Gibson Les Paul, or SG. Saw Diana Krall in the rack too, Best hits or something. Read the label, already have most of the cuts on other discs. Now a suggestion by you. I will look for it, maybe find a sample online. Either way suggestions by others too have expanded my library with a multitude of music genres, all worth an expenditure. This site has been beneficial not only to my understanding of high-end audio, but the consequential media to be enjoyed everyday I exist. I have heard cuts by Dan on the radio, it's a matter of what for how much. The importance you've communicated in your suggestion has placed it in the find it category. Total agreement with you on this one warrants a star too. Enjoy ! Jeenie.

jblnut
01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
They sent me the catalog with my record....OMG...so many, many things I'd like to hear. Gotta prioritize.....

:-)

www.musicdirect.com (http://www.musicdirect.com)

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
They sent me the catalog with my record....OMG...so many, many things I'd like to hear. Gotta prioritize.....
:-)
www.musicdirect.com (http://www.musicdirect.com)
jblnut

thats what I was trying to tell you all, its a very nice catalog, lots of BG on the featured albums,,,they just sent out the SACD/DVD-A catalog yesterday, its puney in comparison.

Mr. Widget
01-23-2009, 12:03 PM
You sure it wasn't the Cisco records recent release of Steely Dan's Aja they were after ? I just got mine after reading one rave review after another all over the web. This may be one of the best - if not THE best - record I've ever heard. :applaud::applaud::applaud:

If you're a Dan fan and still into vinyl, this one is worth every penny.....

jblnutI just cruised over to MD's site and read Fremer's review... I guess I'll give it a shot. This quote sold me, "The Mobile Fidelity piles on even more blobby bass and while the half speed high frequency groove etching is incredibly detailed and well-focused, it’s also been bleached and brightened and the upper mids have been sucked out to make the high frequency transients stick out.

This reissue’s bass is tight yet lithe, well-focused and harmonically complex, texturally detailed, solid and revealing. You'll follow the bass line tune with new ease."

I have always felt that all of the MoFi half speed discs were bloated on the bottom. I was very thrilled by the UHQR series which sounded fantastic, but the standard issue MoFi stuff was always not quite right... it sounds like this "audiophile" version might be worth checking out. Thank god I haven't played Aja in a decade or more... I heard it enough for a lifetime back then. ;)

Widget

jblnut
01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I hear you - I've played every Dan album to death over the years. The funny thing is that I'm not sick of them. I think that's the mark of a truly great album - you can hear it over and over and always find new and interesting things in the mix.

I find the highs on this particular album to be even more interesting that the bass. I can hear every nuance of Bernie Purdie working the cymbals. You can almost "see" him hitting them in a slightly different place each time, giving each beat a different texture. You won't hear that on your iPod :).

My only vinyl copy of this was the (very crappy) MCA re-release, so it was pretty easy to justify. I do have the MoFi gold CD, which is pretty damn good. But this is better....

And kudos to Mr. Wolf again for pointing us all to the musicdirect website in the first place :). My catalog has lots of magic marker in it already...so much to buy...so little free cash....

jblnut

I just cruised over to MD's site and read Fremer's review... I guess I'll give it a shot. This quote sold me, "The Mobile Fidelity piles on even more blobby bass and while the half speed high frequency groove etching is incredibly detailed and well-focused, it’s also been bleached and brightened and the upper mids have been sucked out to make the high frequency transients stick out.

This reissue’s bass is tight yet lithe, well-focused and harmonically complex, texturally detailed, solid and revealing. You'll follow the bass line tune with new ease."

I have always felt that all of the MoFi half speed discs were bloated on the bottom. I was very thrilled by the UHQR series which sounded fantastic, but the standard issue MoFi stuff was always not quite right... it sounds like this "audiophile" version might be worth checking out. Thank god I haven't played Aja in a decade or more... I heard it enough for a lifetime back then. ;)

Widget

jaynemo
01-23-2009, 12:32 PM
No flames intended, but you guys should take a little time off from staring at your JBL's and get out more often.

jblnut
01-23-2009, 12:52 PM
It's winter here in case you hadn't noticed - this is the time of year to stay inside and enjoy the stereo. Once the warm weather gets here I'm outside doing a million other things.

If you've got something to contribute to this thread, by all means speak up. But heckling the moderators is not a hobby I'd encourage you to pursue.

jblnut

No flames intended, but you guys should take a little time off from staring at your JBL's and get out more often.

jeenie67
01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
.....simply that, I concur. Funny my copy of MD and Acoustic Sounds is riddled with Sharpie circles too......the only problem is that for every order I compile, I'm looking at a C-note plus! I have to restore a couple radios and offer them on Craig's List to fund these excursions. So much fun and I've learned some basic electronics in the process. A win win situation across the board. I will not go into much detail on those adventures in tube radio resurrection, but tell you this. There's no better way to listen to the blues program Sunday mornings than on an old tube radio. Weekday mornings with breakfast on AM, early country and western music by the old standards of the genre. Sets the tone for the day!

scott fitlin
01-23-2009, 03:05 PM
.....simply that, I concur. Funny my copy of MD and Acoustic Sounds is riddled with Sharpie circles too......the only problem is that for every order I compile, I'm looking at a C-note plus! I have to restore a couple radios and offer them on Craig's List to fund these excursions. So much fun and I've learned some basic electronics in the process. A win win situation across the board. I will not go into much detail on those adventures in tube radio resurrection, but tell you this. There's no better way to listen to the blues program Sunday mornings than on an old tube radio. Weekday mornings with breakfast on AM, early country and western music by the old standards of the genre. Sets the tone for the day!In the last two years of DJ,s using vinyl, the prices SKYROCKETED! 12in singles domestic went up to $10.99US, and import singles went up to $15.99US. And to boot, our long standing NYC specialty record retailers no longer had the selection as they once did, either a certain selection hadn't been pressed on vinyl, or the stores didn't order, because they didn't want to get stuck with stock they couldn't sell. AND the price increase DID affect sales, once upon a time our DJ vinyl shops were PACKED on Thurs, Fri, and Sat, but with the price increases the same stores were now empty, without customers. Basically, 5 records for almost $100.00, and people really began using CD,s!

And, now, the famous DJ,s that fly all over the world finally accepted the CD, because the cost wasn't nearly as high, the weight of lugging around record cases compared to 1 or 2 CD books, the vinyl shops not having selection, and that was that.

SEAWOLF97
01-31-2009, 03:05 PM
I was having problems with the cart howling when using the near proximity speakers or skipping with near footsteps.

Was cleaning the other day after reading about all the expensive anti-vibe solutions in the catalogs ( 4 antivibe feet for just $200 !!! etc etc ) , and found these 4 semi rigid hollow rubber thangs ....slipped them under the TT so that the hard rubber factory feet are just suspended in the air and = PRESTO !! = .....the TT now sounds fine under all conditions, even with bass that I can feel in my feet...they are about an inch tall.

Dont know what these are, or where you get them, but they sure worked for me :D

SEAWOLF97
02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I bought "The Best of ELP" today, have never seen this cover and thot it was cool, cannot find it on Google...lots of other covers for this disk.

jblnut
02-05-2009, 07:30 AM
I bought "The Best of ELP" today, have never seen this cover and thot it was cool, cannot find it on Google...lots of other covers for this disk.

Nice One!

I've played piano since I was 5 and have always been in awe of Keith Emerson. He did things that were seemingly imposssible. Like:

Being strapped to his Steinway and having it lifted over the stage and rotated end over end while he played a piece of dazzling complexity.

or

Playing another of his dazzling compositions on a digital keyboard and then getting up halfway through and walking to the BACK SIDE of the keyboard and proceeding to play the rest from the WRONG side! Left is right and right is left, the black keys are in your way, etc, etc, etc. INSANE !!!!

ELP can be a little too serious and I like it in smaller doses these days, but DAMN could they play. My favorite is probably still Palmer's side on Works Vol 1 with some great guest work by Joe Walsh....

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
02-05-2009, 10:07 AM
ELP can be a little too serious and I like it in smaller doses these days, but DAMN could they play. My favorite is probably still Palmer's side on Works Vol 1 with some great guest work by Joe Walsh....
jblnut

Smaller doses is good... :D

I went to Amazon and could not find this cover pic, and their "Best of" CD has different tracks, the Japanese cover LP has:

SEAWOLF97
02-06-2009, 05:22 PM

In this months Stereopile magazine , they mention that LP's have many , many more titles available , and greatly outsell SACD's

got my catalog today from AcousticSounds here==>>

http://store.acousticsounds.com/freecatalog.cfm

recommended, nice, glossy and with pretty good prices :applaud:

Hoerninger
02-07-2009, 02:12 AM
A visit at PALLAS-Group 2008: (http://www.pallas-group.de/)
http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=41288

Many pictures, text in German

scott fitlin
02-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Album cover art was great. :applaud:

jblnut
02-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Talk about timely - my local paper ran an article today about the comeback of vinyl. There's even a picture of the store where I bought the records that started this thread.

http://telegram.com/article/20090211/NEWS/902110402/-1/eworcester&template=eworcester

The sales are up almost 90% from last year. Even a brain dead music exec can understand growth like that :). What do you know - people *will* spend $20 on a single record if it's a quality product. Imagine that....

Oh - I also checked my local Best Buy this week and they only had a few scattered box sets so I don't think they are quite on board yet.

New this week for me - Roxy Music "Avalon" and SRV "Couldn't Stand the Weather". Both are 180 gram new releases that sound terriffic.

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Talk about timely - my local paper ran an article today about the comeback of vinyl. There's even a picture of the store where I bought the records that started this thread.
jblnut

cool, thanx for the link JBLN

took this tt in on a trade the other day...have covered up the name to see if you guys can guess what it is ?? :bouncy:

jblnut
02-11-2009, 03:26 PM
But you didn't cover up the model # ...

:)

Congrats on the new J......

There are some good reviews out there on it - I'm curious to hear what you think.

jblnut

Krunchy
02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
The sales are up almost 90% from last year. Even a brain dead music exec can understand growth like that :). What do you know - people *will* spend $20 on a single record if it's a quality product. Imagine that....jblnut

What's the going rate $ on a basic record, the non import type . Seems to me that paying $20.00 for a (lets say) talking heads LP would kinda tick me off since I could get if much cheaper on cd. I'm just curious, I have all my records from when I first started to get into music and recently friends have given me boxes of old records (which I gladly and wholeheartedly accepted) that they are never going to touch again...dont ask me why:dont-know

Point is, unless I was scoring them/lp's like Tom regularly does, I dont think I would be too willing to part with a $20 for a record, vinyl or not! Are a lot of people buying NEW vinyl or are the figures more directly related to used vinyl sales?
Are most of us who still like records willing to play regular albums in decent shape or are there different schools of thought on this. Meaning that some people would only consider vinyl if its the higher quality stuff that is also considerably (I would think) more expensive?

:blink:

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2009, 06:39 PM
But you didn't cover up the model # ...
jblnut

yeah, I saw the model number after posting, sure does look like a Denon ?

What's the going rate $ on a basic record, the non import type . Seems to me that paying $20.00 for a (lets say) talking heads LP would kinda tick me off since I could get if much cheaper on cd. I'm just curious, I have all my records from when I first started to get into music and recently friends have given me boxes of old records (which I gladly and wholeheartedly accepted) that they are never going to touch again...dont ask me why:dont-know

Point is, unless I was scoring them/lp's like Tom regularly does, I dont think I would be too willing to part with a $20 for a record, vinyl or not! Are a lot of people buying NEW vinyl or are the figures more directly related to used vinyl sales?
Are most of us who still like records willing to play regular albums in decent shape or are there different schools of thought on this. Meaning that some people would only consider vinyl if its the higher quality stuff that is also considerably (I would think) more expensive?

I think you've hit on something there, Fred...most of my LP's cost from .50 to $2 and very rarely over that..for that rate, its a fun hobby if you have the access to the associated gear, media.

but.

If starting from scratch, buying new, ...it may not be economically advantageous in comparison to CD.

jblnut
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I bought some new non-audiophile (not 180 gram) records for $10-12. They still sound great too and audiophile or no, it's still vinyl. They aren't quite as quiet as the more expensive ones but that's the main difference.

I love 'em all, as long as they don't skip and they aren't groove damaged by a bad needle. Some pops and clicks don't really bother me that much. I still buy used ones both locally and on ebay. If you buy enough you can get 'em for $1 each or less.

I only spend $20 and up for records I *really* like - and - I know are well produced and will dazzle sonically.

jblnut

Krunchy
02-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I think you've hit on something there, Fred...most of my LP's cost from .50 to $2 and very rarely over that..for that rate, its a fun hobby if you have the access to the associated gear, media.

Exactly! that would be my approach...low cash output, big Fun dividends! :applaud:

I bought some new non-audiophile (not 180 gram) records for $10-12. They still sound great too and audiophile or no, it's still vinyl. They aren't quiet as quiet as the more expensive ones but that's the main difference.

I love 'em all, as long as they don't skip and they aren't groove damaged by a bad needle. Some pops and clicks don't really bother me that much. I still buy used ones both locally and on ebay. If you buy enough you can get 'em for $1 each or less.

I only spend $20 and up for records I *really* like - and - I know are well produced and will dazzle sonically.

jblnut

Yup! I think we are on the same page here guys, I wud do the 20 but only under those conditions or for something old & rare. :)

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I love 'em all, as long as they don't skip and they aren't groove damaged by a bad needle. Some pops and clicks don't really bother me that much.
jblnut

I usually have the woodstove going, so the pops of the fire drowns out the pops of the vinyl. :D

I wud do the 20 but only under those conditions or for something old & rare. :)

old & rare ? you talkin' about me ?

There are some good reviews out there on it - I'm curious to hear what you think.
jblnut

We will never know...it had some issues, so I traded it for some speakers with some issues ...:D , but I can better deal with these ....cabs are actually very nice, logos are there and only 1 dustcap is pushed in...sound fine.

LATER: geeze,,talk about a slow economy ....it took almost almost a hour and half to sell these.

Hoerninger
04-05-2009, 08:57 AM
James Last in Los Angeles
the legendary 1975 Record Plant Studio sessions

In 1975 James Last released "Well kept Secret" in the United States. Even though James Last - "Hansi" - found worlwide success, particularly in Great Britain for example, he had never reached American's ears so far. This LP was recorded with American musicians and conducted at the Record Plant Studios.

This record has been rereleased as "James Last in Los Angeles" on 180 g vinyl in 2008.
The music is a sort of funky jazz. Some regard it as the best James Last ever, I bought it, I do so too.
The LP is well produced. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51sUjDKG-RL._SS500_.jpg

Hoerninger
04-16-2009, 10:56 PM
James Last gets 80 today.

SEAWOLF97
04-18-2009, 06:59 AM
"There's nothing as glamorous to me as a record store," said Paul McCartney. "When I recently played Amoeba in LA, I realised what fantastic memories such a collection of music brings back when you see it all in one place. I hope that these kinds of stores will be there for us all for many years to come."

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/04/record-store-da.html

Record Store Day: How will you celebrate?

Apr 17, 2009, 04:34 PM | by Simon Vozick-Levinson

Mark your calendars if you haven't already: Tomorrow, Saturday April 18, is Record Store Day (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home). The holiday started a couple years back as a way to honor America's rapidly vanishing independent music retailers, a noble cause if I've ever heard one. Now it's grown to the point where all sorts of artists big and small are playing intimate in-stores and offering exclusive products at participating indie shops across the U.S. A very abridged list of some of the most notable Record Store Day specials is after the jump, but there are zillions of these things happening. Click over to the official site for much more complete info on releases (http://www.recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/1408) and in-stores (http://www.recordstoreday.com/InStore), plus the all-important list of participating vendors (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Venues). Then let us know in the comments section how you'll be stimulating the moribund music-retail economy this weekend!
Exclusive releases:

Bruce Springsteen, "What Love Can Do"/"A Night With the New Jersey Devil" (http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/10/springsteen-dev.html) 7" vinyl single
Bob Dylan, "Dreamin' of You"/"Down Along the Cove" 7" vinyl single
Crosby, Stills, and Nash, live double vinyl album
The Smiths, "The Headmaster Ritual"/"Oscillate Wildly" 7" vinyl single
New Order, "Temptation"/"Hurt" 7" vinyl single
Tom Waits, "Lucinda/Ain't Goin' Down to the Well"/"Bottom of the World" 7" vinyl single (live recordings from 2008's Glitter & Doom tour)
Grizzly Bear, "While You Wait For The Others"/"He Hit Me" (live on KCRW) 7" vinyl single
Sonic Youth/Beck, split 7" vinyl EP
Flight of the Conchords, "Pencils in the Wind" 7" vinyl single
Vetiver, "Wishing Well" 7" vinyl single
Blitzen Trapper, "War Is Placebo" 7" vinyl single
Iron & Wine, Norfolk 6-20-05 live CD
Wilco, bonus downloadable concert for anyone who purchases Ashes of American Flags DVD (http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/04/wilcos-new-dvd.html)
Jane's Addiction, "Mountain Song" 7" vinyl single
Cold War Kids, live EP
The Dandy Warhols, Earth to the Remix EP, Volume Two
Cursive/Ladyfinger (ne), split 10" picture disc EP

In-store shows:

The Cannabinoids featuring Erykah Badu, Dallas, Tex.'s Good Records (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/34912)
The Breeders, Cincinnati, Ohio's Shake It Records (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/34916)
Eagles of Death Metal, Claremont, Calif.'s Rhino Records (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/35017)
Chris Cornell, Minneapolis, Minn.'s Electric Fetus (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/34960)
Talib Kweli, New York, N.Y.'s Fat Beats (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/34957)
Mark Olson & Gary Louris, Austin, Tex.'s Waterloo Records (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/35066)
Prefuse 73/The Pains of Being Pure at Heart/Bill Callahan, New York, N.Y.'s Other Music (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/35003)
Ra Ra Riot, East Lansing, Mich.'s Flat Black and Circular (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/34818) (acoustic performance)
Silversun Pickups, Berkeley, Calif.'s Rasputin Music and DVDs (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/350015)
The Bird and the Bee, L.A.'s Fingerprints (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/35032)
DM Stith, Bloomington, Ind.'s Landlocked Music (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/34921)
Uncle Murda, Brooklyn, N.Y.'s Basement Mix Records (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Event/34956)

And much, much more...

Audiobeer
04-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Some records that I find have never been put on CD. For the longest time I was looking for a tune called Sephia Sister from the album On the Frontier by a group called Shoot. Then one day boom it's on Ebay. There is a lot of good cuts out there that never made it from vynil.

Mr. Widget
04-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Hmmm... I wonder if new albums that are released on vinyl exclusively sell more copies than the more easily ripped digital versions? Just a thought. If that is what it takes to keep high fidelity alive, I'll buy in. :applaud:

Widget

jblnut
04-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Hmmm... I wonder if new albums that are released on vinyl exclusively sell more copies than the more easily ripped digital versions? Just a thought. If that is what it takes to keep high fidelity alive, I'll buy in. :applaud:

Widget

From what I've seen, many new LPs come with coupons for free digital downloads of the material. Imagine that - they actually save you the trouble if you just buy a new LP.

Is the music industry finally getting a clue ?

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
gotta love a tracking force gauge for a buck and $7.50 speaker stands

hjames
05-05-2009, 10:23 AM
gotta love a tracking force gauge for a buck and $7.50 speaker stands
I SURE don't remember AR turntables being shock resistant!
I remember them being VERY prone to bass feedback - a friend had one and we had to hunt all over the room to find just the right place where it didn't jump every time the record had bass or a thump!

We have Emma's old AR table in storage ... if needed - but the Denon does good for the times we play vinyl.

MikeBrewster77
05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Well it should tell you something that their advertisement indicates that a $1 tracking force gauge is accurate enough to be used in their plant - especially given that it has a 10% margin of error! :blink:

Heather, any chance you'd be willing to get that turntable out of the attic and smack it with a hammer a few times while it's playing - y'know, just for a scientific test of AR's truth in advertising? :p

Best,
- Mike

hjames
05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Well it should tell you something that their advertisement indicates that a $1 tracking force gauge is accurate enough to be used in their plant - especially given that it has a 10% margin of error! :blink:

Heather, any chance you'd be willing to get that turntable out of the attic and smack it with a hammer a few times while it's playing - y'know, just for a scientific test of AR's truth in advertising? :p

Best,
- Mike
No doubt Emma would yell at me for abusing her gear -
nope, it stays in the attic - baking away!

MikeBrewster77
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Excellent idea. :idea:

I've been trying to figure out to do with this POS Kenwood receiver my better half brought home with the best of intentions, without hurting anyone's feelings.
Shove it in the attic for a few years until it melts - problem solved! :wasnt-me:

hjames
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Excellent idea. :idea:

I've been trying to figure out to do with this POS Kenwood receiver my better half brought home with the best of intentions, without hurting anyone's feelings.
Shove it in the attic for a few years until it melts - problem solved! :wasnt-me:
yeah, I got an old Dual and a Sansui 3000 receiver a few months back - ought to hook them up and see if they even work, but been busy with yard projects - and the L100T interests me a lot more ...

pierce
05-07-2009, 01:55 AM
I had a high fallutin Dual all through the 80s, I think it was from the late 70s, had a Shure V15 Type II cartridge :blah:

Got smashed in the 1989 Loma Preita Earthquake when my whole stereo case tipped over and landed on it. :banghead:

Replaced it 'temporarily' with an inexpensive Technics belt drive quartz job, put a $75 Grado cartridge on that $80 turntable... damn, that setup sounded cleaner than the old Dual had, was nicer to use, and everything. Also less prone to feedback. Still using it, never bothered to upgrade. Probably due for a new stylus on that grado, tho... good thing they still make a compatible stylus, heh.

Hoerninger
05-21-2009, 03:21 AM
Smallest self-running record player in the world licensed by BMW:
http://www.razy-works.com/shop/shop_e/index.html

MikeBrewster77
05-21-2009, 06:06 AM
Best that can be said of that little gadget is that the name is a very accurate description of it's function: It does indeed kill vinyl. Been around since the 70's in various incarnations, including a VW bus, which makes sense given that you would have to be tripping on acid to enjoy sound out of the tiny, moving speaker all while not worrying about destroying your vinyl collection. :o:

SEAWOLF97
07-27-2009, 12:34 PM
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/07/apple-working-with-record-labels-to-boost-full-album-sales.ars

Industry insiders say that the big four record labels are working with Apple to boost full album sales, as individual songs have come to dominate digital downloads. A project called "Cocktail" is reportedly underway and set to launch this fall, which will bundle interactive "booklets" including artwork, liner notes, and other content with a full album purchase.

"It's all about recreating the heyday of the album when you would sit around with your friends looking at the artwork, while you listened to the music," one executive familiar with the plans told Financial Times (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0b7b66fa-7a45-11de-b86f-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=rss). The problem is that most of today's digital music audience has little or no recollection of the album's heyday.

No doubt Emma would yell at me for abusing her gear -

If it has the AR rubber platter cover..store it somewhere else...they melt inot a goo thats nearly unremoveable.

Oh no!

With only 50 DB of dynamic range compared to 96 DB with 16 bit 44 KHZ CD's. And not to mention that any sound below 200HZ is in MONO. And that each time you play it, it wears . PLus the friction of the needle .

Thanks but no thanks.

then by ALL MEANS dont spin records if they are SOooo bad....leaves me more to pick up..
bet the SACD and DVDA boys say similar things about your CD's ...and the lossless digital guys say similar things about them.

MikeBrewster77
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
If they would just bundle real cocktails with the albums, they might be on to something. ;)

CONVERGENCE
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh no!

With only 50 DB of dynamic range compared to 96 DB with 16 bit 44 KHZ CD's. And not to mention that any sound below 200HZ is in MONO. And that each time you play it, it wears . PLus the friction of the needle .

Thanks but no thanks.

louped garouv
07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
From what I've seen, many new LPs come with coupons for free digital downloads of the material. Imagine that - they actually save you the trouble if you just buy a new LP.

Is the music industry finally getting a clue ?

jblnut
the latest Depeche Mode Album on vinyl came with the CD on disc too...

sba2
08-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Here's a little article on the history of the music industry's transition from mostly performances to mostly recordings. It appeared in the Financial Times last week.