PDA

View Full Version : 4312A Woofer

G-Rock
01-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Nice forum you have here.

I've picked up a pair of the 4312A's and one woofer is dead. Using the search function here it looks like the same woofer was used in the 4311B & 4312. Is this correct? What is a reasonable price to pay for a replacement woofer on an auction site like Ebay?

Thank you for your time!

SMKSoundPro
01-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Welcome to the forum. Please see link: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/4312A%20ts.pdf

You will notice that the woofer is a 2213h. Be careful not to use a 123 or 2212, as their polarity is reversed.

Use the search tab above and you will find a plethora of information.

Scotty.

ratitifb
01-19-2009, 02:29 AM
used 2213H : be careful about crack(s) in white aquaplas layer ... ;)

cohearent
01-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi,

I've bought quite a few on Ebay with good results. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for more pictures from sellers. If you are patient you can find a pair for around $125. Haven't looked for singles, but I'm guessing maybe $75? Try to pick up locally to save shipping.

Best,

Kev

robertbartsch
01-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I suppose I would test the "dead" driver before you proceed. I suppose you could do this (1) using an Ohm meter to the + and - woofer leads when disconnected from the crossover, or (2) swap the two woofers from right to left.

I would consider re-coning the pair rather than buying a used woofer that you don't know much about from Fleabay.

G-Rock
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks to all for the info!

I did hook the wires going to the woofer to another speaker to verify the woofer was the problem. I e-mailed a place that re-cones JBL woofers for a price but have not heard back from them. Maybe I'll get lucky and snag one off Ebay.

Regards,

GH

SMKSoundPro
01-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Sincerely Submitted,

I have bought a boatload of JBL drivers from ebay over the past ten years, and the quality of the drivers is very hit and miss!

I am at the point of only using ebay JBL drivers as recone-able baskets. Buy them knowing that they really need to be reconed from a factory authorized reconer. There are many members here that are exactly that.

Only in this manner can you guarantee a true JBL as-new driver. As far as I know, the C8R2213 recone kit is still available, as an owner of 8 pairs of L100s, 4311s an 4312s, I can vouch for keeping them working to their true specs, instead of a ratty old 2213 stripped out of another 4312.

Do you see my point?

Good!

Scotty.

robertbartsch
01-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I would also work in pairs. Therefor, you should have both woofers re-coned at the same time. Why? Well suppose you re-cone only one woofer now and then the other blows out later but by then, you can no longer get factory parts?

...believe me, following this advice on working in pairs will save you more headaches in the future.

Do not use non-JBL (aftermarket) parts and use a factory authorized service shop to perform the work.

This way, you will save yourself a bunch of grief in the long run!

G-Rock
01-21-2009, 08:18 PM
I am at the point of only using ebay JBL drivers as recone-able baskets. Buy them knowing that they really need to be reconed from a factory authorized reconer. There are many members here that are exactly that.

I may go that route (recone).

Who on this forum do I need to contact and what can I expect to pay for the service per woofer?
I'm in SW Oklahoma any semi locals?

Thanks,

GH

JBL Dog
01-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Nice forum you have here.

I've picked up a pair of the 4312A's and one woofer is dead. Using the search function here it looks like the same woofer was used in the 4311B & 4312. Is this correct? What is a reasonable price to pay for a replacement woofer on an auction site like Ebay?

Thank you for your time!

PM sent. I have a couple of 2213H that are in fine shape.

:D

SMKSoundPro
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
There you go!

Ping user Edgewound. He does good work and can help you. They may be others here too.

JBL Dog
01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
PM sent. I have a couple of 2213H that are in fine shape.

:D

I just checked, I have a pair of the alnico magnet 2213's. Sorry!

G-Rock
01-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks anyway for the offer JBL dog.

I'm enjoying these speakers in a near field set up (low volume) hooked up to a Pioneer SX-880 receiver. I can't decide which is better....... looking at or listening to the rig. I caught myself,only briefly, thinking about these speakers while the wife and I were engaged in some pastime activities:eek: <<<probably too much info from the new guy.

Anyway given the fact that I'm not really challenging the speakers I think I will just try to find a used woofer instead of getting this dead woofer reconed. I appreciate the recone offers that were sent via PM.

GH

gsb001
01-25-2009, 09:04 PM
I did a recone on a 2212 a few months ago. Cone kit was $280 plus $30 for labor. Very expensive part.
Steve