PDA

View Full Version : LE14A magnet can heights? first post

ROSSO
01-18-2009, 09:39 AM
OK - it starts here. First post. After lurking as a visitor for for a couple of years, I have officially come clean and registered as an addict.

I did several searches for this, but came up empty. I have a pair of LE14A drivers I bought on the usual web-auction. Is it common or usual for the cans around the magnets to be different heights? One can is 2-1/8" tall (measured from the back of the frame) and the other is 2-3/8" tall. The serial number of the short can version is 60545 and the tall can is 61396. Am I correct in understanding that the wrinkle-painted surface is not the actual magnet but just an enclosure?

They are both dated 5/4/87 in orange pencil or felt tip pen on the backs of the cones in a location that could only have been put there before the cones were set in the frame. Also the initials "CP". They have white cones front and back and appear to have always had gray foam surrounds. Any way to tell from the serial numbers if the 4/87 date was the original production date or the date of a recone?

John
01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Recone for sure. Alnico motors were gone by the early 80's

ROSSO
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
OK - recone it is.

Does anyone know why the Alnico covers are different heights? Doesn't look like they have ever been disturbed, no gaps, etc. Same spacer ring under each one.:dont-know

Thanks,