PDA

View Full Version : New guy here looking to restore some 4333A's

tyler477
01-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Picked these up the other day for a song, looking to do a quality restore no expense too high (within reason) here are some pictures;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34292127@N05/

Have yet to test any of the drivers, but will so tomorrow with a report. woofers have full movement, cones are pretty dirty but all there.... I'm willing to do what is necessary to restore these to a new condition! any suggestions?

Thanks! Also any parts you have that you may think I'll need I will be interested in. I have some l100t's and some 122a's To trade as well as other stuff if anyone is up for some bartering!
Ty

grumpy
01-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Kenrick Sound sells repro lenses (fits in front of horn to modify pattern).
A properly done pair of recones, a pair of grilles done up in JBL blue, and
possibly a freshy set of diaphragms, and you're off to a good start.

Nice return on the song :)

tyler477
01-17-2009, 01:29 AM
I can't decide if I should get the repro lenses or hold out for a nice original set.... Does anyone here have details on remaking some grill brackets for this speaker?

John
01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
If there were no JBL lens to be had, then I would go for repo ones but if you want 100% restoration?

grumpy
01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
some light reading:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10273

grilles come later in the thread...

tyler477
01-17-2009, 01:44 AM
some light reading:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10273

grilles come later in the thread...

awesome! just what I needed! those frames look pretty intense to build! looks like fun.

tyler477
01-17-2009, 01:45 AM
If there were no JBL lens to be had, then I would go for repo ones but if you want 100% restoration?

100% is the goal, but time is not limited, I'd like to wait for the right deal.

richluvsound
01-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Congrats ,:applaud:

they look in pretty good condition. There are a few of us that have refurbed
these beautys. I'm sure you'll find all the info you need .

Take into account you skill level and the final use, keep or flip.

Richluvsound

Fred Sanford
01-17-2009, 05:18 AM
Welcome to LHF, this is the right place for all of the advice & resources to make those come out right. Glad you were able to grab them and give them the attention they deserve.

je

Mr. Widget
01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Picked these up the other day for a song...Congratulations!

If you don't find original JBL lenses, I'd second the Kenrick Sound recommendation. You will need lenses for them to sound right. Sometimes the 2308s or L91s are falling from the trees... other times you will have to pay way too much or wait months. The 2308 and L91 are both the exact same JBL part, the L91 was the original designation before JBL Pro existed. Some early L91s are slightly different, but would also work.

Also Kenrick Sound makes excellent grille mounted name plates if you decide to make new grilles with the Zilch Blue.

Widget

Rolf
01-17-2009, 02:09 PM
The 4333A's was my first "big" JBL speakers. I love them almost as much as I love my 4343B's.

Fix them. You will never regret it.

boputnam
01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
...they look in pretty good condition. I'd say cosmetic beauties!! Wow.

Fix them. You will never regret it.Get some recones done. Those are a real find.

tyler477
01-17-2009, 05:53 PM
ok, so I found some replacement drivers, let me introduce you to the most mismatched frankenspeaker ever;
the CS-4333A ;

I added more photos of the drivers to my flickr for you to peruse if interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34292127@N05/
Man, I didn't know JBL made a kabuki speaker!! I hooked it up to An old lafayette amp I had in the garage. All the drivers worked, but I think the lafayette wasn't putting out the full spectrum because the super tweeter had a hiss when playing but silent when not. hmmm, I'm just thankful all the components were correct and everything is operational...
I was listening in mono in my garage but the woofer sounded like shit. Think I could manufacture some lenses out of window blinds?? that would round out my dirt cheap rebuild!!:D

grumpy
01-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I think you should pay me to take them and save yourself further pain and
embarrassment ... ;)

BMWCCA
01-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I think you should pay me to take them and save yourself further pain and
embarrassment ... ;)People keep telling me "Good things come to those who wait."

I've been waiting thirty years.

Well, I did get three wonderful daughters and I'm still in love with the same woman (yeah, she's my wife! ;)).

Now I just need some BIG monitors before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

My birthday's next week!!! :wave:

So much for the meticulous restoration:
I plan on restoring them by the book and holding on to them for long long time. . . I'll post MANY elaborate pictures of this project, hopefully it can be used as a resource later on on the proper way on going about it. I'm really excited now, can't wait until tomorrow. Possibly If I document the process of restoration meticulously then I can get around sending the woofs to JBL, (Proof of quality job in pictures/videos) Think that would fly?

tyler477
01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
People keep telling me "Good things come to those who wait."

I've been waiting thirty years.

Well, I did get three wonderful daughters and I'm still in love with the same woman (yeah, she's my wife! ;)).

Now I just need some BIG monitors before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

My birthday's next week!!! :wave:

So much for the meticulous restoration:

I'm still going to restore, I just am ancy to hear them in all their glory!
Kendrick's lenses look AWESOME! how long has he been doing that?

tyler477
01-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Picked up some original lenses after 4 hour car trip (thanks neanderthal!)
They look almost mint and I paid 130 for them (same as the repros)
check em out!

Fred Sanford
01-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Nice grab! Glad to see you're going at this with good judgement.

You're going to enjoy these, don't worry...

je

grumpy
01-19-2009, 01:44 PM
cool. nice to see another example of this place working out for members.