PDA

View Full Version : 4333a

Rolf
05-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Hi.

Anybody have, or know where to find original fabric for 4333A? I mean the blue fabric on the front.

Please let me know.

Regards from Rolf

Mr. Widget
05-13-2004, 02:05 PM
It has been discussed on at least ten threads. Search grille or grill cloth.
The short answer is we can't seem to find any. I am thinking about buying some white cloth and dyeing it from:

http://www.speakerworks.net/grill_cloth.html

from what I can tell in the photos it looks very close to the JBL cloth.
Audiobeer recently posted that he has a dark blue that is similar but not exactly the same as the JBL Blue.

The quest continues....

Widget

4313B
05-13-2004, 02:25 PM
If someone wants to follow up on this rumor feel free -

LBI Boyd
1-800-472-7891
The production number of the cloth is allegedly "ACT-7210 LT BLUE (NM)"
I think whomever calls will have to go straight to the top echelon. Rumor has it they did something "large" in JBL Blue and can do it again but the production run would have to be large.

John Nebel
05-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Giskard,

Just plugging in numbers...

Don said there were 2000 studios worldwide who could use large-format monitors. Assume JBL bought enough cloth for 1000 monitors at a time - which would seem to fit the definitions of large given the market.

@ 1yd each that would be 1k yds

@ $5/yd that would $5,000.

Does this seem anywhere near correct?

John

4313B
05-13-2004, 05:16 PM
The rumor is they will do a run of 100 linear yards. I figured it was a rumor someone in CA could investigate at some point.

The last known price I have on the JBL Blue from JBL was $1.54 a square foot.

John Nebel
05-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Giskard,

So this may actually not be too expensive. I'd suspect that JBL marks it up several times over cost.

I've called them and was told to call back tomorrow and talk with Pete.

This is the missing link, now that Bo has rediscovered the paint formula!

John

4313B
05-13-2004, 05:30 PM
It might not be too expensive spread over everyone who wants some on the forum.

I hope Pete has some good news and this isn't just another wild goose chase.

Mr. Widget
05-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Being very interested in getting some of this stuff and in CA, if there is anything I could do to facilitate the purchase let me know. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a large amount for the group, and then shipping smaller amounts to those that need it as desired.

Widget

Hofmannhp
05-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
Being very interested in getting some of this stuff and in CA, if there is anything I could do to facilitate the purchase let me know. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a large amount for the group, and then shipping smaller amounts to those that need it as desired.
Widget

Hi Widget,

that's a word.....let's start a new thread about this and a poll where everybody can mark the needed sq ft (or mē) .
HP

Mr. Widget
05-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Let's see if we can get the stuff... if it looks like it will be possible, then by all means we will need to get a list together.

Widget

Hofmannhp
05-14-2004, 02:26 AM
Let's see if we can get the stuff... if it looks like it will be possible, then by all means we will need to get a list together.
Widget

Hi Widget,
that's great.
I can imagine, that one of the forum (perhaps you) handles the blue fabrics part.
I also can imagine, that there will be a frequently asking for more than 100m as a summary, so a good pricing can produce a little biz as donation for the forum.
Maybe that Bo handles the JBL-blue color part in the same way.

HP

PS: as I saw, the forum budget is negative with about 2k $

boputnam
05-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Hofmannhp
Maybe that Bo handles the JBL-blue color part in the same way.
Na, the JBL Bleu (sic) schenanigans are courtesy. It counts against, and for, nothing. I do it for the luv... ;)

On the fabric - and I forget - don't JBL fab large format monitors in Japan, and don't these use a blue fabric (that looks right)? If I'm not making this up, it might be a resource to pursue through some of our international members...

John Nebel
05-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Giskard,

It looks like the price is $10/yd and the fabric is either 54" or 66" wide.

It would take around 7-10 days to make it.

Pete says that someone sent him a sample, was that you or someone else?

He did have it in his computer as "JBL blue speaker cloth" but there is a chance it would not be exact, however, I've not seen anything remotely close elsewhere.

I can ask him a few more questions, but it would be handy to know the source of the sample first.

The minimum order is 100 yards which roughly translates into 100 speakers worth.

John

johnaec
05-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Not personally having any JBLs with the blue cloth, is the blue a "stretch" type similar to the brown cloth on my L65A and L150 speakers?

John

Hofmannhp
05-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by boputnam (edited by HP)
Na, the JBL Bleu (sic) schenanigans are courtesy. It counts against, and for, nothing. I do it for the luv... ;)

very gentle offer from you Bo,
thanks for this offer in the name of thousands of forum members:D
here's my offer: when you send me a can, I give a donation of 20bucks to the forum (shipping cost you will of cause get separately by PayPal). Is that ok?
HP

boputnam
05-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Hey, HP...

You, sir, can do ANYTHING you wish with the money. I do love the idea, tho... ;)

I will get a tin off today - and, it will be QA/QC's so as to ensure it is suitable shade (no more of that nonsense! :no:

pm me your address (again...).

Best,

Tim Rinkerman
05-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Ok, I own a pair of 4333's with purt'near perfect Original BLUE grills and I also have a pair of L-100's with the standard "foamzgon" grills which I have been holding off building 4333 type grills for until I could find the real Mcoy grill cloth.
If it's as good as you fellow James B. fan's say it is, put me down for $100.00 worth. My L-100's are screamin' for it, and I'll have enough of it left to (god forbid,)I should have to re-cover my big guy's if damage should ever occour..:cat:
I'll keep watching to see how this turns out :thmbsup:

Mr. Widget
05-14-2004, 10:37 PM
As per John Nebel's request I have sent a sample of the coveted fabric to Peter. With luck we will know more next week.

Widget

4313B
05-15-2004, 05:04 AM
"He did have it in his computer as "JBL blue speaker cloth" but there is a chance it would not be exact, however, I've not seen anything remotely close elsewhere."

"As per John Nebel's request I have sent a sample of the coveted fabric to Peter. With luck we will know more next week."

Well it took me quite awhile to finally get a lead and I sincerely hope this is the "real deal". I was told they have extremely sophisticated scanning and matching equipment so hopefully once they get the sample I sent Mr. Widget it will either match their part number or they can do a match. From what I've heard through the wire it should be a dead ringer but the LT in the part number had me a bit concerned. That's why I thought someone in CA could check it out. I know it's a big state but I figured someone must live close by. :p I guess this is going to work just as well though. Thanks John and Mr. Widget. :)

Mr. Widget
05-26-2004, 01:46 PM
They sent me a weave sample today. It looks great, but I need to compare it to the real deal. Hopefully I can get a look at a local sample soon and I'll report back.

Widget

4313B
05-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Oh. They didn't send the sample I sent you back for comparison eh? I guess they wouldn't since it is a work in progress. :)

This is exciting! :p I hope it works out.

boputnam
05-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
...I sincerely hope this is the "real deal". I sincerely hope y'all don't go through the frustrating (and embarrassing... :o ) false-starts I did. But, you're more adept at all this than I... :yes:

John Nebel
06-03-2004, 06:35 PM
From left to right: (1) 44x grille cloth (2) sample from possible supplier which could, he says, be dyed to match one of the JBL blues (3) 43x grille cloth.

The original scan from which this image is cropped can be downloaded from

ftp://atlas.csd.net/jbl/grille4.jpg

(8.5mb file - 100mb uncompressed)

It includes grey scale and color control strips to check monitor calibration - all 20 grey scale bars should be distinguishable and there should be an exact match to Kodak Color Control Patches if the monitor has been properly calibrated.

Bottom line is that the grille cloth quest is still in progress. Both Widget and I have ordered other samples.

John

http://www.csdco.com/grille4_crop.jpg

boputnam
06-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Hey, John...

Can you scale that for us? We (at least I...) need something to relate to - er, the fabric, I mean...

John Nebel
06-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Bo,

See the file from which the small image was cut.

Naturally it includes a scale as well as color and luminance info. :)

John

boputnam
06-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by John Nebel
See the file from which the small image was cut. Got it. Nicely done. :yes:

Mr. Widget
06-04-2004, 09:51 AM
To the naked eye the weave of the sample to be dyed was looser looking. It seemed to be a bit more transparent with coarser thread. Looking at the scan it still seems coarser but it looses the open feeling.

Widget

John Nebel
06-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Widget,

No telling how many different variants of JBL grille cloth there are, but you are correct that the 44x cloth I used in the scan has a tighter weave and is a heavier cloth.

Backlighting would show this more clearly, but would present an interesting scanning problem.

Why are you making me think, it's too hard!

As you said in one of the PMs, it's a tolerable match, but a pretty expensive one @ $36/yd.

Not there yet.

John

Bike ride time - back in a while :)

Mr. Widget
06-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Got the samples from Speakerworks.

http://www.speakerworks.net/grill_cloth.html

They sent a swatch of black and of their beige. The beige looks very similar to the sample sent us from Los Angeles. I don't know if it is able to be dyed however. The black looks pretty good to me and only $12/yrd... dark blue would be better.

When you get your samples maybe you could post another scan with them.

Widget

John Nebel
06-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Widget,

The samples are up at

ftp://atlas.csd.net/jbl/7_swatches.jpg

warning - 6.6mb download

The Speakerworks cloth is the lightest weight of the bunch.

I spent a couple of hours over the weekend searching on the net and have three or four places to get samples from and will do that.

John

Mr. Widget
06-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Looking at the TIFF (which took forever to download) it seems that the Speakerworks material is a bit closer than the material from LA.

It is a different beige though. I doubt it can be dyed.

Widget

Wardsweb
07-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Is there anything new on this cloth search?

John Nebel
07-05-2004, 01:53 PM
The latest was the price on the not-quite JBL weave, but dyed to order was $35 or so per yard.

There are links in this thread to photos including the discovery that JBL blue differs in weave and color between 43x and 44x.

The Speakerworks black doesn't appear too bad for something cheap.

I've got a list of firms to get samples from, but haven't yet.

Widget was also looking into this.

John

Wardsweb
07-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Anyone ever seen this blue from EFX? Thought I might see if they would send me a sample.
http://www.scosche.com/efx/products/carpet/speaker_grill_cloth.asp

droh
07-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Wardsweb
Anyone ever seen this blue from EFX? Thought I might see if they would send me a sample.
http://www.scosche.com/efx/products/carpet/speaker_grill_cloth.asp

I bought some of that one, it's quite a bit lighter than JBL blue, it's really not a navy blue, more of a medium blue. I can post a pic if you like.

Mr. Widget
07-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by droh
I can post a pic if you like.

Please do. How is the weave? Do you have an example of the 43XX cloth for comparison?

Widget

droh
07-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Please do. How is the weave? Do you have an example of the 43XX cloth for comparison?

Widget

The Scosche "Navy" blue is on the left, a 4401 grill is on the right, I don't have any 43XX cloth but I have a 4301B that looks just like the 4401 so I think this is right? I would say the weave is pretty close, maybe closer than this pic makes it seem, but the color is certainly off.

Wardsweb
07-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Man, that isn't anywhere close to the picture they have on their site.

droh
07-06-2004, 05:49 PM
I just checked the box that fabric came in, I thought it was Scosche but actually it was from a different vendor (www.selectproducts.com) they call it "dark blue" but I'm pretty sure they said it was navy blue when I bought it in 2001. I'd still bet that Scosche fabric will be too light since both vendors are selling cloth to match car interiors. But the sample I showed IS NOT actually from Scosche. Sorry for confusing things.

BTW I've bought similar fabrics, all called navy blue from fabric stores. On occasion I've found the more open weave like JBL but never the right color.

Wardsweb
07-07-2004, 10:05 AM
I emailed Scosche and in turn they called me. Bottom line is they are sending me a sample of the blue speaker cloth. I will post a high res pic when I get it.

Wardsweb
07-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Here are some samples Scosche sent me. Let me know if you would like a closer scan of any individual swatch.

Wardsweb
07-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Here is a closer scan of the blue. It's dark blue but not what I would call navy. Kind of one shade lighter than navy. Does that even make sense?

speakerdave
07-14-2004, 06:13 PM
It looks pretty close to the Indigo that was one of the options on the L55.