PDA

View Full Version : Belle Aire Clone

Minatogawaman
01-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello Everyone from Japan

I have an pair of JBL D216 drivers in excellent condition and would like to make a clone of the famous Belle Aire speakers or something similar. Ultimately, these would be driven by a 2a3 flea-powered amp in my office with a subwoofer handling the deep bass.

My question is what HF driver to use. I have a pair of HF 2404 drivers that are 8 Ohms and could be coupled with the D216 by using either a crossover or some kind of filter with an L-Pad. This is the cheaper option. Will this put a strain on my amp by combining a 16 Ohm mid-woofer with an 8 Ohm HF driver?

The more expensive option is to go for it and get the 075 or 077 in 16 Ohms, which might be a little more "beamy" but would have good esthetics matching the Belle Aire theme of mid-century ultramodern.

Does anyone know what size of box I would need for the D216s? Is it a bad idea to make the boxes out of hardwood instead of MDF? I have lots of cherry sitting around but I am not sure how well it would work acoustically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Chris aka "minatogawaman"
Takasaki City, Japan

Mr. Widget
01-11-2009, 06:54 PM
You need to talk with John W... he has made many outstanding JBLs... like these:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8495

Widget