PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a new category?

Ducatista47
01-10-2009, 10:08 AM
The traffic in subwoofer related posts seems to be increasing, short of exponentially but impressively none the less. Perhaps a topic who's time has come. It does not fit neatly into Bo's wonderful "Lansing Related Gear" section, as much of the posting is about JBL drivers, but what the heck.

It is not just DIY, but also usage, theory, market price and tweaking inquiries and FYI's that seem to be on the rise.

Clark

boputnam
01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi, Clark...

Interesting idea. One drawback, 'though perhaps minor, is that folk making subs out of JBL stock can have those threads stay in the JBL area, where they might attract more attention from JBL'ers.

It's fine with me if all subs stuff gets aggregated to one category, but is everyone else OK?

Ducatista47
01-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Not exactly an avalanche of comments. I admit the idea collides squarely with JBL/Altec sub projects and questions, and that alone could render the concept diffuse. Maybe still worth a shot for all non diy posts?

Clark

hjames
01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi, Clark...

Interesting idea. One drawback, 'though perhaps minor, is that folk making subs out of JBL stock can have those threads stay in the JBL area, where they might attract more attention from JBL'ers.

It's fine with me if all subs stuff gets aggregated to one category, but is everyone else OK?

I vote YES - center all the sub posts together!
Maybe create two - a DIY subs area as well as a JBL factory Subs?
After all, those are two different crowds/markets

boputnam
01-17-2009, 09:47 PM
A few Mods have been kicking this around. We are not united, so I morphed this into a Poll. Let us hear from you.

FWIW, ProSoundWeb does have a separate category for subwoofer projects and it "seems" to work there.

Let us know your thoughts, if you care at-all...

Zilch
01-17-2009, 10:07 PM
In all of my infamous bloggery here, I never blurred Lansing and non-Lansing but for an occasional mention of BMS drivers. O.K., more than "occasional" in the case of the Altec Valencia studies.

In any case, that fundamental distinction has been significantly smeared of late, and I don't consider that to be a trend worthy of codification. If we desire a separate "Subs" category, there should be two of them, one Lansing, and one "Other."

The poll is too narrow. It should include that option, and "I don't give a whit," as well, the apparent prevailing perspective, presently.... :yes:

Ducatista47
01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I had been thinking along the line of an area with all subwoofer questions and comments - placement, use, theory and all that sort of thing - but that is cool.

Clark

Zilch
01-17-2009, 10:41 PM
There's plenty of application specific JBL/Altec Sub technology to be documented and discussed without having the distraction of Panasonic Thrusters in the same subforum.... ;)

Ian Mackenzie
01-18-2009, 01:26 AM
I think it opens a can of worms because of the previous history of the bluring if diy and technical help.......:blah: .....where we ended up with a lot of mis information in tehnical help.

If you search the forums 4313B has coverall most of the JBL sub stuff on numerous occassions. In light of recent events the older 2235 and 2245 / 2242 are about the only available drivers any way.

Perhaps one option is to open a Read Only reference area for JBL subs..tech sheets or a reference tread(s) like Heather organised.:)

Zilch
01-18-2009, 02:14 AM
I think it opens a can of worms because of the previous history of the bluring if diy and technical help.......:blah: .....where we ended up with a lot of mis information in tehnical help.All fixed in one fell swoop, as I recall, Ian.... :thmbsup:

SMKSoundPro
01-18-2009, 02:27 AM
I think that the "sub" world would then be broken into home theater and pro dance club.

That's two very different worlds, and I appreciate both. That being said, I would not run 8-2241's at home, and vice a versa, 1-B460 at the club. I have learned so much since I joined this group!

scotty.

demon
01-18-2009, 04:06 AM
hi!

i didnt vote yet because i dont really know what i want. personally id like to discuss the now very popular (at least on german speaking boards) open-baffle subwoofer, in all its possibilities, but i wouldnt know where to put it with the options given above, so i would need a third category (exotic LF concepts), and then again wouldnt need a special category at all. general audio would be good enough.
thinking of the structures of this forum, id rather say not to open any new category because im a big fan of simple structures, and flexibel usage.

better encourage the users to clevery use the search+tags-function, that could help finding info if the few categorys given are too loaded with too many threads to quickley find desired stuff.

this forum is about lansing heritage, right, so that should be the main point in dividing any categorys, subwoofer or horn or whatever comes second thats for sure.

sorry if this has gotten complicatd to read -be assured it was even more to write for me

:o:
cheers,
mikey