PDA

View Full Version : 4435 Diy

Hofmannhp
05-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi All,

I think it is worth a new thread......

here's the first pic as pdf (also available as ACAD file)
the front view:

HP

Guido
05-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey HP!

You safe me a lot of work :)

Believe it or not, I wanted to make the drawings for my 4435 DIY tonight. But I do not have ACAD. I would have done it the old fashioned way with pencil and paper.
Do you have side views and a parts list also?

Hofmannhp
05-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Guido
Hey HP!
You safe me a lot of work :)
Believe it or not, I wanted to make the drawings for my 4435 DIY tonight. But I do not have ACAD. I would have done it the old fashioned way with pencil and paper.
Do you have side views and a parts list also?

Hi Guido,
nice to hear, yes....I will do all parts as drawings. If it's a help for you, I can do some printouts and send them to you (when ready) I think that I need tomorrow for this.

BTW: think about to get your version of ACAD.
i.e. ACAD- LT 2003 is a fine and not expensive tool for all things to do and easy to handle.
HP

Guido
05-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the printing offer HP!

Be warned!

Ralf and me want to meet in Frankfurt on one of the coming weekends. I think this is the time to meet.
Last time the night before the music fair was just tooooo long to do anything else than driving home when finished the fair stress.

Cheers :cheers:

Ralf
05-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the printing offer HP!

Be warned!

Ralf and me want to meet in Frankfurt on one of the coming weekends. I think this is the time to meet.

Do you like Cuba-Libre? Guido brings a bottle canarian rum....

And what kind of music do you hear? We should try out how good your 4435 are...

I think it`s better to send your neighbours in vacation...

:rockon1: :cheers: :thmbsup: :band: :cheers: :cheers:

ngccglp
05-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi,

If I cannot get the baby cheek, can I add horns like the 2395 on the top probably with the 075? Will the bass be correct?

Thanks.
David

Hofmannhp
05-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Ralf (edited by HP)
Do you like Cuba-Libre? Guido brings a bottle canarian rum....
And what kind of music do you hear? We should try out how good your 4435 are...
I think it`s better to send your neighbours in vacation...

Hi you two too....

of cause I like Cuba Libre....as drink and in reality.:D
Don't forget your girls or wifeys....(think of drunk and drive)
21st of may (free time) or 22nd will be fine.
I like to hear nearly all kind of music....like R&R, R&B,...Stones, John Lee Hooker, Pink Floyd, Clapton, Eagles, Doors, BB King, Muddy Waters, also good country rock......etc.

I think Guido can get his drawings when you are here.

here's another smash:

HP

Hofmannhp
05-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by ngccglp
Hi,
If I cannot get the baby cheek, can I add horns like the 2395 on the top probably with the 075? Will the bass be correct?
Thanks.
David

Hi David,

a nice idea, which I tested some days before......but I can tell you, if not gettin the 2344, try it better with the 2397. This sounds great.
It may get a system like Ken's (Westlake).
When using the 2441 with the 2397, you don't need 075 with priority.

HP

PS: anyone agrees???

Hofmannhp
05-13-2004, 03:03 AM
Hi All,

here's the inner side of the backwall with bracing.....

Later some other drawings will follow, also a list of parts.
Easiest and "like original" construction is posible with ready walnut veneered chipboard 3/4" for the sidewalls and top plate.
HP

Hofmannhp
05-13-2004, 03:05 AM
hi again,

here's the grille base construction.......
Material 1" chipboard.
HP

Guido
05-13-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by ngccglp
Hi,

Thanks.
David

Hi David!

Try the P-Audio PH316. It is very similar to the 2344. PM me for details if you are interested.

Hofmannhp
05-13-2004, 04:16 AM
sorry...pressed wrong button...here it is again
the grille construction.

HP

Hofmannhp
05-13-2004, 04:53 AM
Hi all,

here's the baffle, made from chipboard 3/4", surface smoothed and painted black matt.

HP

Hofmannhp
05-13-2004, 04:55 AM
Hi again,

here's the subbaffle, made from fiberboard 1", surface smoothed and painted black matt.

HP

Hofmannhp
05-13-2004, 06:44 AM
Hi again,

here's a little help for bracing.....not easy to understand.

HP

Guido
05-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Perfect Work!

Thanks again!

Ralf
05-13-2004, 06:26 PM
:thmbsup:

I would have wished myself, I would have such a thing received for my 4430...

:banghead:

Ralf

Hofmannhp
05-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Ralf
:thmbsup:
I would have wished myself, I would have such a thing received for my 4430...:banghead:
Ralf
thanks guys,

I know what you mean...I had only a brochure from the new 4333B in the year 1979, to take the size and look for my DIY versions. Thats why they are not exact in size, but they look great and sound great.

HP

PS: some drawings from yesterday have little mistakes in measurements, as I found out (bracing, grille and baffle). I will post new versions when ready. So..... switch off the desk saw.

Guido
05-14-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Hofmannhp
PS: some drawings from yesterday have little mistakes in measurements, as I found out (bracing, grille and baffle). I will post new versions when ready. So..... switch off the desk saw.

I'll anyhow do some modifications. Especially the wall junctions will be different and thus will have different measures.
Do you think it will bring advantages to enlarge the cab a bit. I don't think the cabs will reach the specified 5 quft.

Hofmannhp
05-14-2004, 04:31 AM
I'll anyhow do some modifications. Especially the wall junctions will be different and thus will have different measures.
Do you think it will bring advantages to enlarge the cab a bit. I don't think the cabs will reach the specified 5 quft.
Hi Guido,
the original cab has 4,923 qft/chamber without subtraction of bracing and speaker volume. I think those volumes are virtualy compensated by the 1" fiber wool, which covers all inside surfaces except the baffle.
I think there's no problem to vary the cab.....there are some points to do a little optimizing.
When doin the measurements, I scratched my head sometimes, how they assembled the cab, cause all the walls have been put together at first.....and then the bracing....

:hmm:

HP

PS: If it's a project for me, I would try to copy it 1:1 in detail.

4313B
05-14-2004, 05:31 AM
"I think those volumes are virtualy compensated by the 1" fiber wool, which covers all inside surfaces except the baffle."

Yes, there should also be a bit extra fiberglass in the chamber with the horn/cd. Can you please measure the tuning frequency of each chamber HP?

Thank you very much for the drawings. :)

Hofmannhp
05-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
"I think those volumes are virtualy compensated by the 1" fiber wool, which covers all inside surfaces except the baffle."

Yes, there should also be a bit extra fiberglass in the chamber with the horn/cd. Can you please measure the tuning frequency of each chamber HP?

Thank you very much for the drawings. :)

Giskard->
your absolute right.....in the horn chamber, there's a lot more fiberglass....I will post some pics soon.

HP

Hofmannhp
05-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Giskard->
your absolute right.....in the horn chamber, there's a lot more fiberglass....HP

here's the first pic.
View through the woofer hole under the horn upward.
You can see the front to back bracing, which also holds the driver magnet. This construction is not yet in my drawings.
HP

Hofmannhp
05-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

here's a pic with the sidewall bracing near the duct. Fiber is lighly lifted to see the bracing 3" x 1".
HP

Hofmannhp
05-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Hi again,

here's a pic with the bottomwall bracing under the right woofer. Fiber is lighly lifted to see the bracing 3" x 1".
HP

PS: the woofer with the green cabling is below the L-pad baffle, so Giskard you can take a look to the crossover schematic that this is the " to 800Hz-woofer, or the to 100 Hz woofer"

Alex Lancaster
05-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Could someone pls explain why the speaker "sees" a bigger volume with more īglass?; Better minds than mine tell me so, I believe it, but cannot understand; īGlass not being very elastic, more hysteric. (sounds like a religious problem) :D .

boputnam
05-14-2004, 03:31 PM
It's not the glass, per se, but the air that is trapped within, and how it is trapped, by the fiberglass...

Ralf
05-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
Could someone pls explain why the speaker "sees" a bigger volume with more īglass?; Better minds than mine tell me so, I believe it, but cannot understand; īGlass not being very elastic, more hysteric. (sounds like a religious problem) :D .

That`s my Explanation:
Air in the glass wool moves more slowly. If you put more glass wool in the box, the air needs more time to the wall and back. It`s the same effect as a longer way, a larger enclousure...

Don`t know, if I am right.

Ralf

4313B
05-15-2004, 07:21 AM
"Could someone pls explain why the speaker "sees" a bigger volume with more īglass?"

Besides the classic references this may help as well.
You can get a copy from www.aes.org

4313B
05-15-2004, 07:32 AM
"PS: the woofer with the green cabling is below the L-pad baffle, so Giskard you can take a look to the crossover schematic that this is the " to 800Hz-woofer, or the to 100 Hz woofer""

According to the schematic the green & green/black go to the "LF" and the white & white/black go to the "MF".

Alex Lancaster
05-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Giskard, Thanks.

Hofmannhp
05-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Ralf
That`s my Explanation:
Air in the glass wool moves more slowly. If you put more glass wool in the box, the air needs more time to the wall and back. It`s the same effect as a longer way, a larger enclousure...
Don`t know, if I am right.
Ralf

ok Ralf,

thats the correct physical definition....the main reason is the longer way for the pressure waves through the wool and back. This is the same like a bigger cabinet. Please don't forget that when using a lot of wool, the efficiency (2 f ??) goes a little less in cause of some energy of the pressure waves goes lost as (little) heat in the wool.

Let's discuss it a little deeper 21st of may
HP :cheers:

Guido
05-24-2004, 02:05 PM
HP does both chambers have the same tuning?
Or in other words is the port exactly the same for both chambers?

Thanks

4313B
05-24-2004, 02:54 PM
It would be real nice if someone with a pair of 4435's would measure the actual tuning frequency of each chamber. I'm curious to see what the actual Fb is.

Hofmannhp
05-24-2004, 03:54 PM
It would be real nice if someone with a pair of 4435's would measure the actual tuning frequency of each chamber. I'm curious to see what the actual Fb is.

Hi Guido and Giskard,
I will of cause do a measurement........short after my pay jobs..
I'm also curious whats the result....
Have to carry some PC stuff to the living room.

Guido: the two chambers are geometricaly the same (as my drawings show) For a fb measurement I will also change the woofer cabeling from the left the right.
A fact is (like Giskard wrote) that the lost volume of the high/mid horn/driver is balanced with the additional fiber in this chamber.
The two ports have the same size.
HP

sa660
05-27-2004, 03:58 AM
This should go to the lansing web site for cabinet plans?

Bravo,
:D

4313B
05-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Definitely!

Perhaps in a member's plans section.

Hofmannhp
05-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Definitely!

okok,...fine, but please let me complete them before and correct some mistakes.

HP

PS: in cause of a lot of (non JBL) pay work, I hadn't start with the measurements.....sorry

Guido
05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
This is my definition of a 4435 crossover

Guido
05-31-2004, 10:18 AM
HP, any news regarding the corrections?

Thank you!

Hofmannhp
05-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Thank you!

Hi Guido,

I'm workin on them.
But I can tell you, there aren't not that much.
i.e. some bracing woods are a little different and the horn baffle in the main cabinet has no square hole..its a round hole.

maybe tomorrow.....I stored some dwgs in the office.

HP

PS: also the long weekend left his marks.....we had three very long evenings in my living garage with a lot of drinks and a good sound. (you have to try Steve Ray Vaughn's: Tin Pan Alley with good speakers)

boputnam
05-31-2004, 11:23 AM
This is my definition of a 4435 crossover

:coolness:

Guido
05-31-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
:coolness:

:rotfl:

Sure you meant the crossovers

Figge
05-31-2004, 11:10 PM
hi great thread! awesome speakers! lets say if i wanted to build these speakers what drivers/horn/xover do i need to get? maybe a schematic on the xover if maybe possible to build yourself.

Hofmannhp
05-31-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Figge
hi great thread! awesome speakers! lets say if i wanted to build these speakers what drivers/horn/xover do i need to get? maybe a schematic on the xover if maybe possible to build yourself.

Hi Figge,

you can get all informations in this forum.
The 4435 need 2 x 2234H, 2426H , 2344 horn and needs a crossover, with 1kHz.
Very special is, that only one of the woofers works in the 100 to 1kHz section. Both woofers work below 100Hz.

HP

Ian Mackenzie
06-01-2004, 01:48 AM
I think the extra fibreglass in the enclosure surely helps suppress midrange reflections back though the 2235H.

When I heard John's 4435's in Boulder I was quite surprised by the midrange, smooth and no woofer overhang usually attributed to large driver covering the midrange.

Quite a nifty design actually although I undeniably prefer the 2123H with the 2344a horn after the Robert Hamell audition at Long Island NY, but thats the beauty of diy JBL, roll your own.

Ian

Guido
06-01-2004, 03:26 AM
Hi Figge,

you can get all informations in this forum.
The 4435 need 2 x 2234H, 2426H , 2344 horn and needs a crossover, with 1kHz.
Very special is, that only one of the woofers works in the 100 to 1kHz section. Both woofers work below 100Hz.

HP

Hi Figge!

Let me try to define HPs post a little for you:

2234H is a rare driver but you can recone a 2225 or 2235 to a 2234. Just keep out the massring
2426H is well known I think. You can also use a 2425H
2344 Horns are extremely rare but they are at german ebay right now. Do a search I do not have the link at hand. But hurry. They have a low Buy it Now!

The crossover can be found at:
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network%20Schematics/3135%20Network.pdf

Good luck

Hofmannhp
06-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Thank you!

ok....here's the main front baffle.
differences to my first drawing is the hole for the high frequency unit 2344 .

(If the pdf is poor, let me know)

HP

Hofmannhp
06-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi again 4435 builders,

here's the sub baffle for the high frequency horn 2344 and the L-pads.
changes only the hole for the horn. The horn is mounted on a 1mm thick and 1/2" wide neoprene strip under the edges of the horn.

HP

Hofmannhp
06-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Hi again ,

here's the frame and bracing cut for the high frequency horn 2344 and the 2426 driver. If you want to use another driver, pls check the diameter. The driver motor is softly isolated from the frame woods with 1/2" damping material.

HP

Hofmannhp
06-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi once more ,

here's the bracing top view in the height of the high frequency horn 2344 and the 2426 driver.

HP

(pls give a sign if the pdf is in poor quality, or ask for dwg's)

Hofmannhp
06-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Definitely!

well dear friends,
will be nice.....also for other speakers.

Giskard and Don: you may let me know in which format we can mention about to post the drawings (format and scaling). For this application I think to revise them again...like a DIY kit.

HP

high123bid
03-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks for me also, Do you have the full drawings or just the front view, please?

Regards, Bo Andersen

Hi All,

the front view:

HP

high123bid
03-16-2006, 07:29 AM
could you post the 4435 ACAD file, please?

Thanks very much, Bo

Hi All,

the front view:

HP

Hofmannhp
03-16-2006, 09:03 AM
could you post the 4435 ACAD file, please?

Thanks very much, Bo

Hi Bo,

ACAD Files cannot be posted here as an atachement.
But if you leave me your email adress, I can send it to you.

HP

boputnam
03-16-2006, 10:53 AM
And, delete the recently started 4435 construction Thread - it is redundant. Bo Andersen has found his way! :applaud:

stevem
03-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi David!

Try the P-Audio PH316. It is very similar to the 2344. PM me for details if you are interested.

Remember this is a 1.5" throat horn. The 2344 has a 1" throat.

Zilch
03-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Bo's won the right horns.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-4435-Studio-Monitors-complete-package_W0QQitemZ7397089122QQcategoryZ23794QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[Wrong woofers, tho....]

Uncle Paul
03-16-2006, 03:53 PM
I understand the difference between the woofers is the mass ring that is installed behind the dustcap. The 2235 has it and the 2234 doesn't. Would it be possible to convert a 2235 to a 2234 with a little dustcap surgery?

Guido
03-17-2006, 04:26 AM
I understand the difference between the woofers is the mass ring that is installed behind the dustcap. The 2235 has it and the 2234 doesn't. Would it be possible to convert a 2235 to a 2234 with a little dustcap surgery?

To cut out the dustcaps isn't a problem. To find replacement dustcaps and glue them in isn't a problem either.
There is a small chance that you'll find no mass rings under the dustcaps because maybe the former owner made 2234 out of 2235 cores.
Ok, but what if you find massrings?
I removed massrings with MEK, BUT this is a dangerous work !!!! :shock: The MEK could solve other glue points or you can damage the voice coil or....

But you have nothing to loose. If you want 4435 you need to recone anyway. So try it :coolness: