PDA

View Full Version : JBL L65 Jubal ??????

bookasan
05-30-2003, 09:46 AM
I just purchased a pair of JBL L65 speakers for $90 from a thrift store.
The one's I bought do not say "Jubal" on them and they have 122A woofers. I have noticed some have 126A woofers in them and some are marked Jubal.
What is the difference between the ones marked "Jubal" and the ones marked just L65?
Are the 126A's prefered over the 122A's?

4313B
05-30-2003, 02:48 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107&highlight=jubal

My favorite stock Jubal was the L65B.

If I had L65's today I would most likely try the 128H-1.

In my personal opinion it is easily the best of the JBL 3-inch voice coiled 12-inch LF transducers.

I'm not sure if the 122A will take the 128H-1 cone kit or not. I probably wouldn't go with alnico anyway for that kind of recone.

In any case, for $90 you're way ahead of the game.

"Are the 126A's prefered over the 122A's?"

Not unless you stick dirty old socks in the ports :D

MikeM
05-31-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by bookasan
The one's I bought do not say "Jubal" on them and they have 122A woofers. I have noticed some have 126A woofers in them and some are marked Jubal.
What is the difference between the ones marked "Jubal" and the ones marked just L65?

I have you beat there! I found a pair of Jubals 11/2 blocks from the house got them for $40.00. Needed new glass tops and cabnets were banged up. I parted them out on ebay for around 700.00 even the cabnets. :)

BigBusa
06-02-2003, 09:20 AM
I almost had you both beat!

I went to the salvation army a couple month back and sitting by the door with sold signs on them were a pair of L65 Jubals. They were mint but the woofer surrounds were going bad. Even both glass tops were there and perfect.

I asked the guy what he pair and he said $20 for the pair!

5 mins earlier and they would have been mine! :o

The tweeters in the jublas sell for around $500 a pair on ebay!!!!!

lpd
06-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Hands down I think I have you both beat. $150 Canadian (which is about..... $100.00 US) a pair of JBL 4333AWX speakers!!!

delta287
01-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I think I beat everyone up. I was in a used furniture store and found 2 Jubal in very fair condition, Asked to the owner about the price and he said - Those........are very old and are using to much space. I dont want to see them anymore, take it :jawdrop:
Got them my living room.
Sorry guys I saw them first. Best regards:applaud:

brad347
06-23-2008, 12:06 AM
got my pair of Jubals, very nice shape L65As, for $50 this weekend! :applaud:

Regis
06-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Now that's a deal! The L-65's were my very first pair of JBL's thirty years ago and I paid $630 for them at the Military PX store in Okinawa (they retailed for $1,200 the pair, back then!).

The L-65 is a very capable performer and will play just about any kind of music easily. Do have the woofer's checked out and make sure the suspension (the 'spider' as it's called, a circular reddish tan accordion fold piece under the speaker cone) is not worn or sagging.

Not sure what kind of stereo equipment you have, but make sure it's got ample power. A reciever or amplifier with 200 watts per channel is a good choice, as underpowering these big speakers can damage them if you overdrive the amplifier and cause the signal to clip (square waves are death to speakers!).

brad347
06-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Now that's a deal! The L-65's were my very first pair of JBL's thirty years ago and I paid $630 for them at the Military PX store in Okinawa (they retailed for $1,200 the pair, back then!).

The L-65 is a very capable performer and will play just about any kind of music easily. Do have the woofer's checked out and make sure the suspension (the 'spider' as it's called, a circular reddish tan accordion fold piece under the speaker cone) is not worn or sagging.

Not sure what kind of stereo equipment you have, but make sure it's got ample power. A reciever or amplifier with 200 watts per channel is a good choice, as underpowering these big speakers can damage them if you overdrive the amplifier and cause the signal to clip (square waves are death to speakers!).

The 122a drivers are getting re-foamed as we speak. They look clean as a pin, like new, except that one of them had some slight foam rot. I'm refoaming both for good measure.

In all honesty, I don't listen to music very loud, I'm in the music business and I have to protect my hearing. When I listen at home I keep the volume quite low, a comfortable listening level only, and I listen to mostly classical and jazz.

I do not have a high-powered amplifier, but rather a medium-power (35WPC) tube amp. I would never tolerate the sound of clipping, so I'm not too worried about damaging them with clipping, even though they're (maybe?) not as efficient as some others by JBL standards (about 78dB at 1w at 15ft, or 92 dB at 1m, if i remember right).

To be honest, though the concept of "underpowering" speakers is a bit new to me. Would anyone listen to clipped amplifier output, anyway? How do guitar and synth players get away with sending square waves through their amplifiers? How do intentionally distorted signals and square-wave synth sounds, etc. in modern recordings keep from damaging speakers?

I'd assume, also, that the manner in which a tube amp clips is much safer than the manner in which a solid-state amp or digital device clips. Tubes 'round off' and gently compress and fatten up first, long before any flattening takes place. You have to drive a tube amp pretty hard into distortion to get actual square waves.

But I'd love to hear more on the subject. I'm not too paranoid about it, but if there was a real danger at low listening levels, I'd want to know about it.

brad347
06-24-2008, 08:33 AM
After some more asking around I have found that the DC produced by a clipping solid-state amp is what's really the killer more so than the square waves. Tube amps, even when driven to clipping, almost never put out that kind of DC.

BMWCCA
06-24-2008, 09:41 AM
But I'd love to hear more on the subject. I'm not too paranoid about it, but if there was a real danger at low listening levels, I'd want to know about it.

Here you go: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

Though I'd still have my Fisher SA-1000 amp if the tubes hadn't become unavailable to normal college kids back in 1973, I've been operating solid-state high-power amps now for over 34 years with no failures. I think the trick is buying quality equipment with a good reputation. In my case that has always meant Crown, and all seven of those are still working perfectly. But then when I find something that works for me, I don't look for a reason to change. I've used the same brand of speakers continuously since I was 5-years-old (still have that one), same brand of motor vehicle since 1971 . . . and married to the same wife since 1981 (though we began the "test-drive" in 1975). ;)

SEAWOLF97
06-24-2008, 10:19 AM
. I think the trick is buying quality equipment with a good reputation.

I just had a Bryston 4B go DC on me 20 minutes ago :banghead: and it took out the woofer of one of my 4315's. I could test everything out with the remaining good side of the Bryston but, that might be acting stupid twice! Right now I want to throw it in the gargage.

Looks like quality equipment with a good reputation, is not always a guarantee, but then what is ?

Mannermusic
06-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Brad, BMW - Yep, been using "low powered" amps for 40+ years with no difficulties. The tube jobs were Fischer and Marantz 8B and the SS Crown, which I still have, like BMW. I'm also a player (trumpet) and I think our sense of proper volume is related to what we've learned playing in our various groups over the years. I can tell you that my Crown D60 will fill my 20X22' listening room with a Big Band or full orchestra with a sound level that is all I can stand and have never heard any semblance of clipping. If I feel like going insane I have a D150 and a SAE 2200. By the way, the SAE has power indicators on the front and the most I have ever seen is 10 watts (peak) which is painful - not good for a musician's ears, as you say above. A typical listening level is about 1 watt for my big system (S8+) and a bit more for my smaller system (4313B derivative). Actually, what happens is that in a small room like we use for listening, the reverb simply overpowers the environment and any semblance of "Hi Fi" is lost. It's just LOUD. Can't hear anything. Who is kidding whom? Maybe we should all rent an auditorium then we could really crank it up . . . but I'd rather hire the musicians. Mike

grumpy
06-24-2008, 11:15 AM
for Brad... in your application, you should be just fine. If you like the bass
that comes with that pairing of amp/speaker, then you're done (which is
nearly an impossible feat for a bunch of us ... being "done") :)

So... congratulations on a remarkable purchase, that I hope you enjoy for
quite a while. -grumpy

BMWCCA
06-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Looks like quality equipment with a good reputation, is not always a guarantee, but then what is ?The most complimentary thing you'll hear me say about Brystons is they sure do cost a lot! :applaud: Don't mean squat, apparently. :(

Heck, when I was ten I used to play my mono 030 system out of the headphone jack of a ChannelMaster transistor radio. That 030 is still alive today and in my living room.

DFXNoCal
04-27-2009, 07:05 AM
I have a pair of L65s in my garage. The foam ring is shot on the woofers. I want to get these replaced and sounding good again. Where can I get this done?

We got these speakers in the mid-70s when my Mom worked for JBL. I grew up listening to these speakers and loved their sound. What are they going for these days? Just curious.

DFXNoCal
04-27-2009, 07:09 AM
I have 3 of these units complete, looking for $300 apiece. All are in good condition. Is this price right?

JBL Dog
04-27-2009, 07:32 AM
I have a pair of L65s in my garage. The foam ring is shot on the woofers. I want to get these replaced and sounding good again. Where can I get this done?

We got these speakers in the mid-70s when my Mom worked for JBL. I grew up listening to these speakers and loved their sound. What are they going for these days? Just curious.

L65's will sell for $400 - $1200.

JBL Dog
04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
I have 3 of these units complete, looking for $300 apiece. All are in good condition. Is this price right?

Used prices are depressed on large format pro gear. $300 would definitely be on the high end. $225 - $250 per set is more in-line with current market conditions (assuming everything is in good shape).

I would recommend trying to sell your components on Craigslist. I just sold a nice set of 2446J's on the local CL. I couldn't get a bite on eBay. I put them on CL for the same buy-it-now price and they sold within 48 hours. I came out ahead by about $33 selling them locally for cash.

Good luck!

:D

infinityQ2
05-01-2009, 07:14 PM
I almost had you both beat!

I went to the salvation army a couple month back and sitting by the door with sold signs on them were a pair of L65 Jubals. They were mint but the woofer surrounds were going bad. Even both glass tops were there and perfect.

I asked the guy what he pair and he said $20 for the pair!

5 mins earlier and they would have been mine! :o

The tweeters in the jublas sell for around $500 a pair on ebay!!!!!

Iv'e got you all beat. L65As (FREE) from craigslist and the guy delivered them to my house. Everything mint except woofer surrounds, I gave him some basil from my garden and we called it even. That was a good day:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Pony Boy
10-11-2009, 06:42 PM
:barf:I got all you guys beat!I found a pair of these JBL L65 Jubal speakers at a yard sale right near me last week for $10!They worked,but the woofers needed to be refoamed.I got this done for $110 and they sound good!Cabinets are nice too.I also bought a Marantz 4240 receiver from the same people for $20.The lady's father bought them both new.I also got the owners manuals with them too:bouncy:.

BMWCCA
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
That's great. We're all so happy for you.

Please feel free to show us pics of your catch with their re-surrounds.

Do you think you could keep you voice down? It's past some of our bedtimes. :banghead:

Pony Boy
10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
:barf:I'm in Los Angeles.I just bought a pair of these same speakers last week at a yard sale near me for $10.The woofers need to be refoamed.Theres a place in North Hollywood California I go to thats real good.Its called GSS.They reparied a bunch of items for me over the years.They're the only place I go for speaker repair.Good Luck.:blah:

twistytony
04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I have some L65's, 122a woofer, LE5-5 mids, 077 Tweets. They say L65 on the tag.
I have been offered some Crossovers from some JUBAL L65's that evidently had and 126A woofer in them.
The crossover's from the JUBAL L65 look very different from my L65 (not marked Jubal) are they the same in function? Compatible? What was the difference between the 122 and the 126 woof?

I'm looking for cabinets to restore my speakers. i need to re foam the 122's, and the cabinets are toast...one of the crossovers has some mouse pee on it...

Can someone share some knowledge with me about these speaks and such?

rfghz
04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
what you have is a pair of L65A's...look down to the right I believe, (below "Model L65" on foilcal) and you will see a teeny little "A".....your port is on the bottom left, yes? (notice I used the word yes instead of right!)......methinks the port on the bottom looks much cooler :) asfor me I ripped out the crossover and tossed them in the can....used electronic crossover/ tri-amped....wish I saved the X-over at this point as the L65's seem to command a high price on e-pay these days....

Hey19
10-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Got these at an estate sale today. $5, my first real steal. Will go through all drivers and crossovers and spruce up the wood. About an 8 out of 10.

1audiohack
10-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Wow that is a steal! They might as well have been free, your lucky day indeed.

Lee in Montreal
10-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Holy Batman. $5.00?

Congratulations.

Triumph Don
10-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I have been looking for a score like this for 30 years. Did OK recently with my 222's, but for five bucks? Wow. Enjoy them for awile before you sell, you might just want to keep them! I still have a pair, as do many forum members. R.Cobb you have a new customer!

Hey19
10-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Pulled the 122A's , made sure to reverse polarity=green to black, red to black. Pots were cleaned set to zero and off I went. Sounds good. Now, must buy the foam surrounds and redo the 126's. May put them back in the L166's. Here are a few pics.

shaansloan
10-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Check these out JBL Dog..the price is goin up for nice L65's.... $2000.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/150666202869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

mech986
11-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Hey19, nice score. And very nice collection of vintage JBL's and a rare metered Dynaco ST400 too!

All these L65 scores is astounding and also baffling, especially within the last 2-3 years. Don't any of these sellers do any homework? OTOH, gives us lots of incentive to keep looking, scores are still out there.

JBL_620
11-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Some people just have all the luck finding something like this. What a real score there.:applaud:

Enjoy!

Hey19
11-03-2011, 05:27 AM
Hey19, nice score. And very nice collection of vintage JBL's and a rare metered Dynaco ST400 too!

All these L65 scores is astounding and also baffling, especially within the last 2-3 years. Don't any of these sellers do any homework? OTOH, gives us lots of incentive to keep looking, scores are still out there.

are a restorers dream. They make the speakers look hopeless and worthless. Nice to know the repairs are cheap and relatively easy. I'm concentrating on Estates sales where the owner just leaves the house full of goodies and the company doing the sale wants to move it.And times are tougher for getting high prices unless they are on Ebay.

Lee in Montreal
11-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Are those Altec 19 on the right? :D

Lee

Edit.
Your nickname most likely reflects that they are indeed Altec 19s... ;-)

Hey19
11-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Are those Altec 19 on the right? :D

Lee

Edit.
Your nickname most likely reflects that they are indeed Altec 19s... ;-)

but, one woofer is rubbing and needs to be sent to Great Plains. I'm switching between the 80t's and the Jubals.

Hertzz
11-06-2011, 04:28 PM
:eek:
That's great. We're all so happy for you.

Please feel free to show us pics of your catch with their re-surrounds.

Do you think you could keep you voice down? It's past some of our bedtimes. :banghead:

Hey19
11-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Some of our senior citizen members are like those two. Sometimes they are quite funny.:lol_fit:

BMWCCA
11-06-2011, 06:58 PM

It's just a text thing. Like all-caps. No worries!

markd51
11-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Check these out JBL Dog..the price is goin up for nice L65's.... $2000.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/150666202869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hello Shaan,

Gotta say that is a very extrordinarily super clean pair of L-65A's. Probably not another pair this clean in existence unless one found themselves a factory sealed pair tucked away somewhere.

I can understand why the bidding topped out at such, as many recognized the rarity of ever finding such a clean, unmolested pair.

The four Jubals I have are almost as clean, with just a couple small minor tiny indentations-dents on the front edges of a coupe of the cabinets. All of mine were modded with high quality X-Overs to factory specs , and also dumped the stock Binding Posts, for all solid Copper Edison Price 5-ways.

But the 4430 Monitors you helped me get are as clean as these L-65's you show. Been real happy with these. Mark

Hey19
11-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Hello Shaan,

Gotta say that is a very extrordinarily super clean pair of L-65A's. Probably not another pair this clean in existence unless one found themselves a factory sealed pair tucked away somewhere.

I can understand why the bidding topped out at such, as many recognized the rarity of ever finding such a clean, unmolested pair.

The four Jubals I have are almost as clean, with just a couple small minor tiny indentations-dents on the front edges of a coupe of the cabinets. All of mine were modded with high quality X-Overs to factory specs , and also dumped the stock Binding Posts, for all solid Copper Edison Price 5-ways.

But the 4430 Monitors you helped me get are as clean as these L-65's you show. Been real happy with these. Mark

1) He had every conceivable packing slip, tag, manual and box that came with the original purchase. 2) His pictures were many and from every angle with excellent closeups. 3) His speakers were of exceptional condition. These three things make for a profitable auction. A rare situation.

markd51
11-07-2011, 10:50 AM
1) He had every conceivable packing slip, tag, manual and box that came with the original purchase. 2) His pictures were many and from every angle with excellent closeups. 3) His speakers were of exceptional condition. These three things make for a profitable auction. A rare situation.

Gotta totally agree with what you say. I too have basically everything with my four L-65 Jubals, but they technically cannot be called an "unmolested" set of four anymore, when I changed X-Overs, L-Pads to 100W units on the backs of the Cabs, and the Edison Price Binding Posts.

Sadly, I had little choice, 30 plus years of hammering them, took their toll, the L-Pads went wonky, two of the X-Overs had bad components, and I was never a lover of the cruddy little Push Pin Speaker Terminals.

No longer do I have Iron Core Inductors, those were substituted with Goertz Alpha Core Air Wound Inductors, (1mh 300W rated for the 126A drivers) Solen Caps throughout. All wiring was upgraded as well, to 12ga from Binding Posts to X-Overs, and onto the Bass Drivers, and 16 ga used otherwise throughout.

Twice I went through total recones of all four 126A's. Sadly, the kits are not available anymore, so I'll have to be careful with them in the future.

All sadly sit tucked away, as the 4430's have taken center stage in my main system. Damn shame I don't have the room here to set the Jubals up, I have two very nice Sansui Quad Recievers (QRX 7001-7500)t could be used with them. Two Quad Teac decks as well.

Shaan helped me with the shipping of the 4430's. Would've easily cost me more than double, compared to the prices he got me, to have the pair shipped 1100 miles to me.

Also a many thanks to Tom Tatman, from Catamount Studios, where he had stumbled onto my unmolested 4430 pair that never were used in a studio envoirnment. Mark

Mr. Widget
11-08-2011, 10:33 AM
1) He had every conceivable packing slip, tag, manual and box that came with the original purchase. 2) His pictures were many and from every angle with excellent closeups. 3) His speakers were of exceptional condition. These three things make for a profitable auction. A rare situation.That seller's photos made one of TiDomes threads look positively lacking in detail... geez, it's great to be able to see all of that detail. I have to say, it was something of a nostalgia fest just to look at his pictures. Those L65s seem to have some how managed to avoid the aging process... pretty remarkable.

Widget

bmrtoyo
01-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Gotta totally agree with what you say. I too have basically everything with my four L-65 Jubals, but they technically cannot be called an "unmolested" set of four anymore, when I changed X-Overs, L-Pads to 100W units on the backs of the Cabs, and the Edison Price Binding Posts.

Sadly, I had little choice, 30 plus years of hammering them, took their toll, the L-Pads went wonky, two of the X-Overs had bad components, and I was never a lover of the cruddy little Push Pin Speaker Terminals.

No longer do I have Iron Core Inductors, those were substituted with Goertz Alpha Core Air Wound Inductors, (1mh 300W rated for the 126A drivers) Solen Caps throughout. All wiring was upgraded as well, to 12ga from Binding Posts to X-Overs, and onto the Bass Drivers, and 16 ga used otherwise throughout.

Twice I went through total recones of all four 126A's. Sadly, the kits are not available anymore, so I'll have to be careful with them in the future.

All sadly sit tucked away, as the 4430's have taken center stage in my main system. Damn shame I don't have the room here to set the Jubals up, I have two very nice Sansui Quad Recievers (QRX 7001-7500)t could be used with them. Two Quad Teac decks as well.

Shaan helped me with the shipping of the 4430's. Would've easily cost me more than double, compared to the prices he got me, to have the pair shipped 1100 miles to me.

Also a many thanks to Tom Tatman, from Catamount Studios, where he had stumbled onto my unmolested 4430 pair that never were used in a studio envoirnment. Mark

hey ill buy those jubals if you have no room for them ,??? bmrtoyo:confused: