PDA

View Full Version : Affixing JBL logos on cloth grills

AmericanPie
01-04-2009, 01:24 AM
I just acquired a pair of L15s that are missing the grill logos. Do these take the logos WITHOUT the pin on the back (i.e., the ones that are attached with velcro tape)?

Can anybody give me some tips on how to properly go about attaching the logos (when I find some)? I see there are some on Ebay that have the pins on the backside; would it be sacrilege to get these, then grind off the pins and use them? :crying:

The only other JBL grill logos I'm familiar with are the ones from my L100s, which have no pins and are affixed with velcro.

rdgrimes
01-04-2009, 06:36 AM
The L15 uses the pin-type logo. Held in place by a push-on clip. Easy enough to use a dab of glue or spray adhesive to hold them in place.

BMWCCA
01-04-2009, 07:20 AM
You could also use the repros from RJ Timmerman which attach with small magnets on the back. They're not original and are made of plastic, but the magnets work pretty well if the idea of plastic doesn't bother you.

AmericanPie
01-04-2009, 10:37 AM
The L15 uses the pin-type logo. Held in place by a push-on clip. Easy enough to use a dab of glue or spray adhesive to hold them in place.

So you attach the logo by puncturing the cloth with the pin? Looking at the logos on Ebay it appears ends of the pins are rather blunt (almost like a "peg"); wouldn't that tear and ruin the cloth when you force the pin through it? I don't see any holes in the cloth from this being done in the past so I'm concerned about butchering them.

However I could just sharpen the points of the pins and then use the push-on clips you mention, if I can find some. Or I could cut off the pins and attaching with adhesive or velcro if that's a better way to go.

The plastic logos aren't an option; I want to keep the speakers as original as possible.

hjames
01-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I've had pin-type metal JBL logos for a couple of speakers I refurbed - (B380, L36, L100, etc). The weave in the cloth is somewhat open, so often you can just wiggle the pin at the point of insertion and the cloth will separate to some degree . You are not ripping through the threads of the cloth, you are displacing the threads to allow the pins in ...

But if you used a tighter weave you could always use a nail/tack/pushpin to start the hole before using the pin end of the logo ...

However I could just sharpen the points of the pins and then use the push-on clips you mention, if I can find some. Or I could cut off the pins and attaching with adhesive or velcro if that's a better way to go.

The plastic logos aren't an option; I want to keep the speakers as original as possible.

AmericanPie
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Good idea! I'll first get some logos and I'm sure I'll figure it out somehow.