PDA

View Full Version : JBL Control 29AV-1

01-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Has anyone ever heard or used these speakers? Seems to be a more robust version of the Control 28.

Thanks.

Slare
01-06-2009, 03:11 PM
I own both. I assure you that the 29's are a HUGE upgrade over the 28's. Granted, they are a lot bigger but this is one case where the specs don't really tell the whole story well enough. Looking at both speakers on the JBL site would have you think the 29 is just a minor upgrade...

I picked up some 29's when a local retailer was closing down (Steve & Barry's). All the S&B locations are closing down and each store had a huge lot of these installed so there is a glut of them available right now in the used market.

Based on their performance, I also picked up a pair of 28's for a song when they popped up locally, thinking they would be similar. They are not. The 29's are far superior with much better bass output, sound balance, dispersion, greatly increased overall power handling, and a huge upgrade in maximum volume output.

This is not to say the 28's are sub-par, but the 28's have bass capability and output levels that you'd expect from a normal 8" 2-way bookshelf. The 29's will play extremely loud and clear and will fill a very large room with sound. If paired with a sub and crossed over they would satisfy all but the most demanding applications.

It should go without saying these are not sound quality speakers, but the 29's at least are great "party" speakers.

01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah, just bought one today. Using it to augment the bass response of the JBL Control 28 I have setup. They sound great, but the Control 28 is much more sensitive and efficient (at least it sounds that way). Highs are also better than the Control 29, but that's a given. For some reason, the Control 29 sounds much more "muffled".

Here's a photo. (I know, not your typical home stereo. Some of you are probably crying at my setup right now, considering it's not "audiophile grade".)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/UniversalStudiosHollywood/IMG_3112-1-1.jpg

Don't be too harsh. :D

Slare
01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I can see the point about treble response and sensitivity for casual listening. But at higher volumes the 29 should be clearly superior, and its maximum output capability is much, much higher. This was obvious to me using just 100-150w rms amplifiers.

I'd pop the grille off that 29 and take a look at the shielding foam, tweeter, and horn orientation. The tweeter can be rotated in the 29's...

short_circutz
01-08-2009, 10:24 AM
We installed four of the 29AV speakers as part of an install we did at a theatrical performance venue here. I was impressed by their sound for their size.

The install consisted of the addition of FOH mains (subs are ones that were previously installed), front fill, reinforcement to the rear of the venue, and aplification and processing for speakers installed.

In a lot of cases, the operators at the venue xconfigure the system to use only the 29AVs and the front fill speakers for smaller presentations/shows.

If I had the money, I'd likely purchase enough units to do my home theatre setup instead of the mishmash of JBL gear I'm about to start using for speakers.

http://kctc.ca/technical_specifications.htm

01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I can see the point about treble response and sensitivity for casual listening. But at higher volumes the 29 should be clearly superior, and its maximum output capability is much, much higher. This was obvious to me using just 100-150w rms amplifiers.

I'd pop the grille off that 29 and take a look at the shielding foam, tweeter, and horn orientation. The tweeter can be rotated in the 29's...

Just switched the horn around, and allowed some time for the speaker to break in. Now the difference is real apparent, and man can this thing play loud.

I would hate to see how loud the Control 30 could get.

38 Hz to 17 kHz frequency range
(-10 dB)
250W pink noise, 500 watts continuous program power capacity
120 x 110 degree coverage horn
150W, 75W, 38W at 70V/100V (plus 19W tap at 70V only)
8 Ohm Bypass
Outdoor-rated screw down input terminal strip (with MTC-PC2 sealed entrance cover)
Available in black or white (Control 30-WH)
Dimensions (HxWxD): 593 mm x 372 mm x 345 mm (23.3 in x 14.6 in x 13.5 in)
Net Weight: 18.9 kg (42 lb)

I'd be scared to turn this thing up.

merlin
11-20-2016, 01:26 AM
It's been a long time for me and a long time for this thread.

I've been away from the forum because modern life has taken it's toll but I'm heading off to a remote beach with my partner to run a small restaurant to support the local orphans.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u496/airwise2/14924071_1871750209724518_1530376120_o_zpsqvnemtt4 .jpg

I wondered how many Pro guys we had here who could help? At home I still have these

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u496/airwise2/IMG_1842_zpsi3hebpyx.jpg

Now what I want to do is to provide a listening experience in the restaurant and in front which allows people to really appreciate what makes the likes of my K2's so special.

An impossible dream? Perhaps but, given the location I thought some 29av-1s might be the right choice.

I do however know nothing these days about pro audio and, with my illness, cannot retain information anyway so there's little point in trying to learn :)

The restaurant is only 20' x 20' but open and and suggestions would really be appreciated.

Oh and you are all invited for some fresh sea food and some quality tunes....

M