PDA

View Full Version : What latest Floor Standing JBL Model should I buy?

dennisl59
01-03-2009, 10:21 AM
OK, I've have a pair of L100T's since 1986. Working perfectly, no cabinet finish issues, and had the foam replaced on the woofers a couple of years back. So, every now and then I think, "If I have say $2,000 max to spend on a new pair, what model should I buy?" Should I even stay with JBL? Or go with Polk or all the other "usual suspects" in that price range? And for that much money, would I really get a superior speaker than what I've heard for over the last 20 years? Would I have to spend $4K and up?

A/B 'ing the L100T's against other JBLs, as most know, would be impractical.

Has anyone ever done this vs the newest models?

Thanks for the feedback!

Caio'

SEAWOLF97
01-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Stereophile magazine writers ( who seem like a bunch of ninneys) ..did a cover story on DT Mythos STS called "Something special for $3K"...that if spending big money for a new pair, I wud surely look into these.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/808dt/index.html

and said

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

Holy crap! Did I just say the Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower puts out 20Hz? It's actually rated to 16Hz, but I'm not sure my room can sustain that note. Certainly, the STS lacked nothing in the deep bass. Down there, it had power and glory.
There's something special about a speaker that can do that, but where the DefTechs really shone was in their effortless creation of a sonic holograph of the original musical event. Those events sounded real, they sounded right there, and they sounded solid enough to reach out and touch.
Is the Mythos STS perfect? Not quite. There's that slight glassiness I heard in the upper mids—an effect that wasn't so much a coloration as a difference in articulation. Some listeners will react to this more intensely than I did.
But that's little more than a mote in the eye compared to the timber balks of things the STS did right. It looks stylish, and it visually disappears into a room—if those qualities matter to you. And if performance is your thing, it has gobs of that. It just might be the best loudspeaker I've heard for $3000/pair. Surely there's not another that matches the Mythos STS's top-to-bottom coherence. If there is, I want to hear it. In fact, bring it on. Until then, the Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower will be the speaker to beat in at least one of my listening rooms. Maybe in yours, too."

Description: Three-way floorstanding loudspeaker with 300W powered subwoofer. Drive-units: 1" ceramic-coated aluminum tweeter, two 345" mineral-filled monopolymer midrange cones, 5" by 10" carbon-fiber woofer cone, two 5" by 10" bass radiators. Frequency range: 16Hz–30kHz. Sensitivity: 93dB/283V/m. Nominal impedance: 4–8 ohms. Recommended amplifier power: 20–350W.
Dimensions: 47.5" (1220mm) H by 5.5" (140mm) W by 8.5" (220mm) D. Base: 10.5" (270mm) W by 14" (360mm) D. Weight: 61 lbs (27.7kg).
Finishes: Satin-finished silver, gloss-black aluminum.
Price: $2998/pair. Approximate number of dealers: 100.
Manufacturer: Definitive Technology,

or these

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/906jbl/

JBL's Studio L880 is a superb performer with many strengths and few limitations. In the areas of low-bass extension and high-level dynamic realism, it may set new benchmarks for its price. (To achieve this level of realism, of course, it's essential that the associated equipment be capable of the same level of dynamic swing and low-bass definition.) In any event, the JBL L880 is an extraordinary value as a reproducer of a broad range of music big and small, and an absolutely dynamite home-theater speaker. Congratulations to the JBL design team for having brought a speaker of this quality to the masses.

Description: Four-way, five-driver, reflex-loaded, floorstanding loudspeaker. Drive-units: ¾" (19mm) Mylar supertweeter in Bi-Radial horn; 1" (25mm) pure-titanium dome in EOS waveguide; 4" (100mm) PolyPlas-cone midrange unit with rubber surround, HeatScape motor structure; two 6" (150mm) PolyPlas-cone woofers with rubber surrounds, HeatScape motor structures. Crossover frequencies: 700Hz, 5kHz, 20kHz. Frequency response: 30Hz–40kHz, ±3dB. Sensitivity: 91dB (2.83V/m). Nominal impedance: 8 ohms. Maximum recommended amplification: 200W. Power handling: 100W continuous, 400W peak.
Dimensions: 39" (991mm) H by 8¾" (222mm) W by 14¾" (370mm) D, including feet. Weight: 54 lbs (24.5kg).
Finishes: black ash, cherry, beech.
Price: $1400/pair. Approximate number of dealers: 200.

no affiliation..have never even seen a pair

but fun to refoam-double surround on the DT

(http://www.stereophile.com)

JBL 4645
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
JBL K2 look elegant providing you’ve got the cash or ask the bank manager for second mortgage on the home.:D That is stylish, yummy. :applaud:

http://www.jbl.com/images/ENG_buy_now.gif (http://www.jblsynthesis.com/where_to_buy/purchase_installation.aspx?Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA)http://www.jbl.com/images/spacer.gif http://www.jbl.com/images/spacer.gif
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/images/products/K2.S9800WG.jpg (http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/products/front_large/K2_S9800WG.jpg)

£25,000 Umm, err yes that’s a lot of money!:blink:
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=JBL+K2+S9800&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en

dennisl59
01-03-2009, 12:44 PM
That my pair of L100Ts bought for ~$1,100 in 1986 would be outperformed by a pair of L880's costing ~$600 a pair(black) from Amazon(free shipping no less). Old generation speaker technology is just that, old, especially advanced tweeter materials used today.

Thanks.

Allanvh5150
01-03-2009, 12:52 PM
As I have found many times, when comparing vintage JBL's to the new stuff, you will be dissapointed. Unless you are willing to spend the big bucks. Maybe step up to some L150's or one of the studio models with a 15" driver.:)

Titanium Dome
01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
or these

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/906jbl/

JBL's Studio L880 is a superb performer with many strengths and few limitations. In the areas of low-bass extension and high-level dynamic realism, it may set new benchmarks for its price. (To achieve this level of realism, of course, it's essential that the associated equipment be capable of the same level of dynamic swing and low-bass definition.) In any event, the JBL L880 is an extraordinary value as a reproducer of a broad range of music big and small, and an absolutely dynamite home-theater speaker. Congratulations to the JBL design team for having brought a speaker of this quality to the masses.

This is a very good (and surprising, Wolfie ;) ) recommendation. At current street prices, you can step up to the top of the line Studio L Series L890 for under $1500 a pair, which gets you two 8" woofers instead of the 880's dual 6" woofers.

Everyone will agree that these will sound different than your L100Ts; we will have different opinions on if they will sound better. IMO they will sound much better, once you listen for a couple of days and untrain your ears from the old sound of your current speakers.

Don't worry, you'll always love the sound of your L100ts, just as I do my vintage units. But there's no doubt that drivers, networks, and enclosures have improved a lot since then, despite the fact that you won't have real wood veneer on the outside. The clarity, transparency, cleanness, and articulation of JBLs current midrange consumer models is really quite a feat at the price. The dual 8"s will handily give you all the quick, powerful bass you need.

dennisl59
01-03-2009, 02:37 PM
This is a very good (and surprising, Wolfie ;) ) recommendation. At current street prices, you can step up to the top of the line Studio L Series L890 for under $1500 a pair, which gets you two 8" woofers instead of the 880's dual 6" woofers.

Everyone will agree that these will sound different than your L100Ts; we will have different opinions on if they will sound better. IMO they will sound much better, once you listen for a couple of days and untrain your ears from the old sound of your current speakers.

Don't worry, you'll always love the sound of your L100ts, just as I do my vintage units. But there's no doubt that drivers, networks, and enclosures have improved a lot since then, despite the fact that you won't have real wood veneer on the outside. The clarity, transparency, cleanness, and articulation of JBLs current midrange consumer models is really quite a feat at the price. The dual 8"s will handily give you all the quick, powerful bass you need.

Good, straight and to the point advice! I have a friend who's always liked the L100Ts. So, the deal is to sell to them, use the $$$ to help get a pair of the L890's.

Happy New Year!

Caio'

demon
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
hello dennis!

you can use the money and buy, or build (better) a pair of subwoofers for your L1oo. for 2ooo$ i guess you can get decent amplification and management, too.
as i see it, you really like your speakers and they are in good condition.
i would simply upgrade the set with really deep reaching subs.

cheers,
mikey

modena
01-03-2009, 04:50 PM

I couldn't agree more. I bought these speakers 4 years ago for 1000 euros, they are driven by a Dared SL2000 valve pre and a Rotel RB-981 amp or even a 10W Trends TA-10.1 amp and they do sound awesome. Only drawback... they are not "audiophile" :p enough to make other people jealous for your gear.

Mr. Widget
01-03-2009, 07:24 PM
OK, I've have a pair of L100T's since 1986. Working perfectly, no cabinet finish issues, and had the foam replaced on the woofers a couple of years back. So, every now and then I think, "If I have say $2,000 max to spend on a new pair, what model should I buy?"Well... why change? $1100 in '86 is approximately $2000 today.

Unlike computers, speakers haven't gotten any cheaper over the years so anything less than $2000 will likely be a step backward and spending about $2000 will get you something that is about as good as what you already have.

If you want a "better" system, I'd submit you'll have to spend more. In my opinion you will find a real step up over your current speakers with JBL's cousin, the Revel F32 at $4000 a pair. I also doubt you'll find anything approaching it's performance at that price, but it does retail for twice your target.

I personally prefer the "little" Revel over most of the vintage JBLs, however you might look at some of the used bargains that appear from time to time.

Widget

dennisl59
01-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Well... why change? $1100 in '86 is approximately $2000 today.

Unlike computers, speakers haven't gotten any cheaper over the years so anything less than $2000 will likely be a step backward and spending about $2000 will get you something that is about as good as what you already have.

If you want a "better" system, I'd submit you'll have to spend more. In my opinion you will find a real step up over your current speakers with JBL's cousin, the Revel F32 at $4000 a pair. I also doubt you'll find anything approaching it's performance at that price, but it does retail for twice your target.

I personally prefer the "little" Revel over most of the vintage JBLs, however you might look at some of the used bargains that appear from time to time.

Widget

So you have the LS80's, the L890's and the ES90's. I guess the bottom line to me, regardless of the discounted prices(like mattresses), which ones actually and truly have the Best State of the Art Drivers that were designed by JBL engineers and not just some OEM parts, made by who knows, thrown into a cabinet, logo applied and there you go...?

I more I learn, the more I like what I have working flawlessly for over the last 20 years! LOL!

rdgrimes
01-03-2009, 10:21 PM

Widget
With some patience and perseverance, one could have a pair of used PT800s and PS1400s for the stated price. Pretty hard to beat that, and not even in the same class as L890s. But then in the same ballpark would be 250ti in decent used condition. With those options, I'd think the L890 is not even in the running.

Titanium Dome
01-03-2009, 11:06 PM
So you have the LS80's, the L890's and the ES90's. I guess the bottom line to me, regardless of the discounted prices(like mattresses), which ones actually and truly have the Best State of the Art Drivers that were designed by JBL engineers and not just some OEM parts, made by who knows, thrown into a cabinet, logo applied and there you go...?

I more I learn, the more I like what I have working flawlessly for over the last 20 years! LOL!

That's certainly the preference of most here: to stick with the tried and true and invest time, energy, and money into keeping those vintage rigs sounding their best. It's a viable choice. Those old JBLs have made a lot of great sound and continue to do so.

OTOH, I have a sign in my office:

"If you do what you've always done, you'll be where you've always been."

YMMV ;)

demon
01-04-2009, 02:30 AM
"If you do what you've always done, you'll be where you've always been."

and thats why dennis will add a subwoofer.
:applaud:
right dennis?
dennis?!

i really am fond of the ol' 431o and its later siblings. im even trying to get me a 4311 right now, just to play with, i.e. id like to try to activate one and fully adjust the groupdelay and maybe equalize a bit. also add a sub....

cheers,
mikey

jbl_daddy
01-04-2009, 11:34 AM
I have L100t's with a B380 in my home office and they crush anything you can get on the new market for less that 4k.

Mark

Titanium Dome
01-04-2009, 11:45 AM
and thats why dennis will add a subwoofer.
:applaud:
right dennis?
dennis?!

i really am fond of the ol' 431o and its later siblings. im even trying to get me a 4311 right now, just to play with, i.e. id like to try to activate one and fully adjust the groupdelay and maybe equalize a bit. also add a sub....

cheers,
mikey

I have L100t's with a B380 in my home office and they crush anything you can get on the new market for less that 4k.

Mark

Those are both nice set ups and will sound great.

Nonetheless, they won't "crush" anything in the $1.5k range, except with an overemphasis on LF output. ;)

dennisl59
01-04-2009, 11:48 AM

Mark

Thanks Mark, Yeah, this has been the consensus of nearly all the comments so far here. Since I don't have $4K just lying around(like most baby boomers these days as disposable income)...I'll just put in some Stones, AC/DC, Hendrix, Matrix, Gladiator, etc. and enjoy 'em for the next 20 years!!!

Using them as the Front Main with a Klipsh KSW12; Center: Yamaha-NS-AC140;In the back a pair of vintage Yamaha NS-10m's with a M&K Powered Volkswoofer. All Powered by a Yamaha RX-V2500. We'd have to spend thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to upgrade. Not much room for improvement unless some others would care to chime in...

Caio'

Dennis

Mr. Widget
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Using them as the Front Main with a Klipsh KSW12; Center: Yamaha-NS-AC140;In the back a pair of vintage Yamaha NS-10m's with a M&K Powered Volkswoofer. All Powered by a Yamaha RX-V2500. We'd have to spend thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to upgrade. Not much room for improvement unless some others would care to chime in...Sell that Yamaha and buy a $1000 Denon or Integra with Audyssey. With Audyssey you will be able to blend your mismatched set of speakers into a phase coherent single system... I recently helped a friend with Martin Logan fronts, Klipsch center and JBL in walls in the rears... the system was a pile of good but disparate parts... after using Audyssey it became a system.

Widget