PDA

View Full Version : JBL Minigon

Rolf
01-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi. Has anybody heard this speaker? I have seen it, but never heard it. This is a picture from Neby's museum in Oslo.

Audiobeer
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I have heard them. And by todays standards they really are on the bottom end. Everyone will agree that they are fair background music speakers. They are coveted for thier collectability more than thier performance.

Rolf
01-04-2009, 01:20 AM
I have heard them. And by todays standards they really are on the bottom end. Everyone will agree that they are fair background music speakers. They are coveted for thier collectability more than thier performance.

Yes, that was my thought to, but is there another well known JBL speaker one can compare it with ... sonically?

Harvey Gerst
01-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Yes, that was my thought to, but is there another well known JBL speaker one can compare it with ... sonically?
The Lancer 33 would be close.

Rolf
01-05-2009, 02:32 PM

Thanks Harvey. The bad thing is that I have never heard the 33 either.:(

Harvey Gerst
01-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Well, the LE8T was the first Ed May designed product and it was amazing, compared to a D208; a lot more lows and highs. Ed later took off the whizzer cone and it was a standard good seller for years. The Minigon was ok, but it was used where space was at a premium. You did get the diffusion effect but nowhere near as realistic as the Metragon or the Paragon.

Rolf
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
You did get the diffusion effect but nowhere near as realistic as the Metragon or the Paragon.

I guess I know, as a former owner of Paragon. Sold it in around 1992. Still regret it.

SUPERBEE
01-05-2009, 05:47 PM

I have had 2 of them. They look great but do not really preform up to their price point IMHO!

jbl_daddy
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
The Paragon can produce sound pressures like no other, my most memorable listning experiance with a Paragon is the cannons in 1812 overture. Ps. the last cannon is the loudest. I have family members that have Paragons and they are unbeatable on one type of music but suck on other types...:)