PDA

View Full Version : Altec 605a Need Hlep

JUGGERNAUTAUDIO
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi, im new to the forum. How is everybody?? Well i purchased a pair of altec lansing 605A duplex speakers the other day. I have been looking all over for some info on the peticular pair i have. The pair i have the red surrounds, witch i have heard are the older first series. The question i have is the crossovers are n-1600c and say 16 ohm, but when i ohm out the HF on the speaker they read 5.0 ohm. I thought the 605A's were 16 ohm speakers?? The LF is reading 11.1 ohm, so i know thats a 16 ohm diphram. I did take the HF cap off and looked at the diphram it has the Ll on the black plastic surround of the diphram. So has someone changed them or is it original? they look as no one ever touched them..any info on these speakers would be great.. Im adding some pictures, i also wanted to know if the red paint on the HF screw is some sort of tamper seal?? Thanks for all your help..

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr129/AUDIOSELLER/DSC05278.jpg

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr129/AUDIOSELLER/DSC05288.jpg

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr129/AUDIOSELLER/DSC05297.jpg

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr129/AUDIOSELLER/DSC05296.jpg

toddalin
01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I guess that you have found, or will find, that the tweeter has no real highs to speak of (even less than an LE175). (The 605 my brother had certainly didn't have any.)

I had heard that the 605 was an attempt to make a cheaper 604 and due to its lack of highs, went over like a lead balloon. :o: You may want to augment them with a super tweeter.

Steve Mac
01-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I guess that you have found, or will find, that the tweeter has no real highs to speak of (even less than an LE175). (The 605 my brother had certainly didn't have any.)

I had heard that the 605 was an attempt to make a cheaper 604 and due to its lack of highs, went over like a lead balloon. :o: You may want to augment them with a super tweeter.
The Beatles mixed 95% of everything they ever recorded on the speaker this gentleman owns. I know the story and it's true the studios were against changing anything about the 604e. But for bass...in a home system...that 605 will probably outperform the 604E if done properly. I would bi-amplify this speaker if it were mine... JMHO. If these speakers have not been to Bill Hanuschak over at GPA for a re-zapping and a check of the diaphragms...it's a good idea while he still maintains the original tooling and knowledge associated with these great speakers. Great acquisition!

Tom Brennan
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
The 605 doesn't have the most extended highs bit to say it has none is silly. The top end is somewhat soft but clean and clear; you can hear in. No doubt though that the highs will benefit from some EQ or a compensating crossover.

And sometimes they do this spooky wrap around imaging thing that is uncanny. The best imaging I've heard was from the 605s I had.

speakerdave
01-04-2009, 07:24 PM
The Beatles mixed 95% of everything they ever recorded on the speaker . . . .

It seems to me I remember their recordings caught a lot of criticism for over emphasis in the high frequencies. Perhaps this is part of the explanation.

toddalin
01-04-2009, 08:07 PM
It seems to me I remember their recordings caught a lot of criticism for over emphasis in the high frequencies. Perhaps this is part of the explanation.

Probably added eq to the mix to get some highs out of their monitors. When played on speakers that do have some real highs, they would naturally seem over emphasized.

Steve Mac
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM

The 45s that were released to America I distinctly remember being hated by the Beatles themselves because they pumped up the mid range. I have not checked the English EP releases but I believe they were not...I think. I have many of their releases and the thing about "upper" frequencies, well I hear no overt treble emphasis. The one thing that could have been improved was the recording of the Hofner Bass to git the darn needle to maybe jump the groove a bit. ;)

I too, like Tom have witnessed this imaging thing with my 605s. It can be rather spooky.

But as for the 604/605, I have a soft spot for these speakers and enjoy listening to them regardless of the latest sonic truths. This was THE sound that so many artists created their music through. And it was for many the best period of musicality to boot. I don't think you can understate the importance or value these speakers have played in audio history.

And to be clear, no one's saying their frequency response is ruler flat to 20Khz...but they have more dynamic capability than a lot of these modern, soft domey thingamubobs that are perfectly flat. At least in my mind: between the stereo imaging, the tweakability for the DIYer, the dynamic sound and historical element... well this is why I believe they are still great speakers.

Steve Mac
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
http://www.superbadcat.com/images/beatles605_1.jpg