PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Speakers

ngccglp
05-11-2004, 03:32 AM
More specifically, the signature. Anybody has any experience with them? How do they compare with JBL? Thanks.

Audiobeer
05-12-2004, 07:21 PM
My neighbor had a pair of the older signatures. I listened to them in a room that really wasn't set up properly for listening but I sill felt they sounded really good. The upper end was very sweet but the bass was very boomy. That again I attribute to the room and a 80 watt tube amp. I would have liked to hear them in a good enviorment. I honestly believe they sounded better than my L-300s in that scenario. I don't think I have heard anyone do an a/b against a JBL. In todays dollars though I would still jump on a pair of 4343s before I'd spend the same money on a pair of signatures. My wife would jump on the signatures however.

Mr. Widget
05-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Audiobeer
My wife would jump on the signatures however.

Don't post photos... you know how the internet is.:no:

GordonW
05-12-2004, 07:43 PM
I dunno.

Every pair of Legacy speakers I've heard, has left me cold. Just not got the "emotional involvement quotient" that even a well-set-up pair of L100s can do, in the right situation.

Something about the Legacys, they just don't "cut loose and get with it" in the midbass... not enough "quickness", "snap" or "livelyness" in the upper bass through the lower mids. With all that cone area there, I'd expect transients to be devastating... but really, like I said, a L100 just has the "jump factor" in spades over every Legacy speaker system I've heard... and I've heard them on GOOD electronics, including some big mega-buck high-power PP tube amps and such...

Of course, it could just be me. I readily admit that, I like my transient response BIG and FAST. Maybe it's not "textbook accurate", even... but boy, when it's done right, it's amazing how much of the character and feeling of live music, it can deliver...

Regards,
Gordon.

Audiobeer
05-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
Don't post photos... you know how the internet is.:no:

I knew as soon as I hit the post key that that quote would haunt Me!!! :D