PDA

View Full Version : 2-Way Using 2370A Horn/2425H Driver and 2206H Woofer Feasible?

hightechhick
12-30-2008, 07:21 AM
I am considering starting a project using JBL 2370A horns with 2425H drivers and JBL 2206H woofers for a 2-way system crossed over at 1 KHz. If this has been done in JBL production, is there a crossover schematic available? Existing box designs? Any thoughts, wisdom, experience, or concerns?

toddalin
12-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I am considering starting a project using JBL 2370A horns with 2425H drivers and JBL 2206H woofers for a 2-way system crossed over at 1 KHz. If this has been done in JBL production, is there a crossover schematic available? Existing box designs? Any thoughts, wisdom, experience, or concerns?

I did it with a W10GTI and 2425J on a 2370A at ~800 Hz. I developed the HF compensation through hours of trial and error swapping parts and watching on the Behringer.

You would probably want to change the Zobal network for your woofer, but something on the order of 20-24 mfd (as opposed to 33) with a 10 ohm resistor (as opposed to 15 ohm) would be a good place to start.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/2-way.jpg

Zilch
12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=197944#post197944

Paul D
12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
The SRX4722 uses a 2206 but with a different horn-driver combination. This is the closest production cabinet I could think of. The 4825 is an older design that uses the 2204 & 2425 but with a different horn.

Here is a link to the 4722: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/SR-X%20Series/SR4722X.pdf

Robh3606
12-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Here's what your looking for a 2425 and 2426 are interchangeable

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/SR-Series/SR4704A.pdf

Rob:)

hightechhick
12-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for everyone's help!
Outstanding technical advise :D
You people are like the Principle level engineers I worked with at RCA.

Thanks again,
-Scott

hightechhick
12-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Ok...

I am beginning at least two speaker projects. I will post pictures of building and finished product. I have been building speakers since I was 12 and this site is incredible!

Thanks again,
-Scott

robertbartsch
12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
I used these same drivers for a center channel in a HT system recently.

I used a small aftermarket horn lenz and mounted the stuff in an old JBL L100 cabinet I found on Fleebay. I also had to fabricate a new grill, however.

Anyway, this was well worth the effort. The 2206 is outstanding.

Mr. Widget
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I am considering starting a project using JBL 2370A horns with 2425H drivers and JBL 2206H woofers for a 2-way system crossed over at 1 KHz.I am a little surprised no one has asked what your intended application is.

Are you making a HT system or a floor monitor for a band or a small side fill for a PA? Depending on the speaker's application you could be headed up a steep hill or you could be happily headed toward a successful system.

Widget

clubman
12-31-2008, 03:09 PM
From the components I would beleave its for PA?

hightechhick
01-02-2009, 08:01 PM
You are all correct.

Go easy on me as my memory is terrible, but this is what I have worked on over the past two years from the top of my head :o:

This for a very large youth group room at church ~3,000 sq. ft with standard drop ceiling tiles, hard walls, and concrete floor with office type carpet (seemingly reflective and challenging). I am currently running a stelth JBL satellite system using 2426H horn drivers and 12" JBL 2206H woofers hidden (by me) in the existing Peavey 12" PR 12 cabinets > http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PR-12-NEO-Passive-Loudspeaker?sku=601424 (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PR-12-NEO-Passive-Loudspeaker?sku=601424)

The only original thing left of the PR12's are the plastic cabinets which vibrate excessively during use...

Treading cautiously, but IMHO replacing the Peavey componets made a -huge- improvement! The kids love it, but I am not satisfied with it (cabinet resonances, horn driver tuning, can't feel the floor moving enough, etc.)

This system is augmented by a JBL 2245H subwoofer. I refoamed the dry rotted surround successfully myself a year ago (first time - learned a great deal for next time...). I originally built the 6th order(?) 12 cubic foot cabinet (flat to 18Hz?), but it could not keep up with the higher efficiency drivers above. I am using the most powerful amp in bridged mode for this, but this is mostly for headroom as the Xmax on this driver is limited. I modified (cobbled) the 12' box down to the "standard" 8'(?) box and retuned the port for the smaller box which gives 3 more db output(?) > less low end for the Virgel Fox pipe organ demos, but it now -seems- louder in the 60 Hz area... A 2009 project goal consists of rebuilding the subwoofer cabinet properly and attempting to build a dual 8'(?) 2245H cabinet using a "spare" 2245H woofer a retired friend has had for years and never build a cabinet for.

I can get the existing system close to flat using pink noise and an audio spectrum analyzer, but I just cannot get the "bumps" out of it. Using my JBL Northridge Series OEM speakers as a reference really points out the places my calibration is off. Again, reading at this forum, I learned about the existance of parametric equalizers which I am now bidding on at eBay. Hopefully, this will greatly help this problem (if not, it sounds like something fun to play with at least ;-)

I am bi-amping though a stereo 3-way electronic crossover (everything rack mounted) which is great for experimenting. The woofer output goes to the 2245H, mid to the 2206H's, and hi to the 2426H's. The neat thing about this crossover is that it is actually designed for two way systems with a subwoofer, and it has lots of adjustments. Each driver is run through its own amplifier channel with the 2245H being biamped. All amps are Peavey (not my first choice, but they were existing equipment, seem to work fine, and very powerful).

Reading many links here I am now ready to build actual cabinets for the satellites with correct ports (and box size). I have already purchased a pair of 2370a horns for this project. Another goal is to work on the 2426H equalization which I saw some excellent work done at this forum.

Since I no longer have access to RCA's listening room ( a great place to blow off steam on the company 4430's ;-) I cannot play loud at home (married, children, neighbors...), so I do my "experimenting" at church. Our church encourages "men stuff" i.e. hunting, etc., so there are a few of us audiets that work on various projects. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I am the only speaker builder in the group. I was working completely in the dark before I found this forum even though I have been designing and building since I was 12 (gray haired now...).

I promise building and completion pictures for you guys to feast on!

-Scott

My background:
1974 Built first pair of speakers
1983 AS Electronics Technology 3.05 GPA
1983 General Telephone Operators License
1984 Began 14 year career with RCA / Thomson Consumer Electronics as an Engineering Technoligist
1985 General Class Amateur Radio License

JBLRaiser
07-04-2009, 05:58 AM
You are all correct.

Go easy on me as my memory is terrible, but this is what I have worked on over the past two years from the top of my head :o:

This for a very large youth group room at church ~3,000 sq. ft with standard drop ceiling tiles, hard walls, and concrete floor with office type carpet (seemingly reflective and challenging). I am currently running a stelth JBL satellite system using 2426H horn drivers and 12" JBL 2206H woofers hidden (by me) in the existing Peavey 12" PR 12 cabinets > http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PR-12-NEO-Passive-Loudspeaker?sku=601424 (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PR-12-NEO-Passive-Loudspeaker?sku=601424)

The only original thing left of the PR12's are the plastic cabinets which vibrate excessively during use...

Treading cautiously, but IMHO replacing the Peavey componets made a -huge- improvement! The kids love it, but I am not satisfied with it (cabinet resonances, horn driver tuning, can't feel the floor moving enough, etc.)

This system is augmented by a JBL 2245H subwoofer. I refoamed the dry rotted surround successfully myself a year ago (first time - learned a great deal for next time...). I originally built the 6th order(?) 12 cubic foot cabinet (flat to 18Hz?), but it could not keep up with the higher efficiency drivers above. I am using the most powerful amp in bridged mode for this, but this is mostly for headroom as the Xmax on this driver is limited. I modified (cobbled) the 12' box down to the "standard" 8'(?) box and retuned the port for the smaller box which gives 3 more db output(?) > less low end for the Virgel Fox pipe organ demos, but it now -seems- louder in the 60 Hz area... A 2009 project goal consists of rebuilding the subwoofer cabinet properly and attempting to build a dual 8'(?) 2245H cabinet using a "spare" 2245H woofer a retired friend has had for years and never build a cabinet for.

I can get the existing system close to flat using pink noise and an audio spectrum analyzer, but I just cannot get the "bumps" out of it. Using my JBL Northridge Series OEM speakers as a reference really points out the places my calibration is off. Again, reading at this forum, I learned about the existance of parametric equalizers which I am now bidding on at eBay. Hopefully, this will greatly help this problem (if not, it sounds like something fun to play with at least ;-)

I am bi-amping though a stereo 3-way electronic crossover (everything rack mounted) which is great for experimenting. The woofer output goes to the 2245H, mid to the 2206H's, and hi to the 2426H's. The neat thing about this crossover is that it is actually designed for two way systems with a subwoofer, and it has lots of adjustments. Each driver is run through its own amplifier channel with the 2245H being biamped. All amps are Peavey (not my first choice, but they were existing equipment, seem to work fine, and very powerful).

Reading many links here I am now ready to build actual cabinets for the satellites with correct ports (and box size). I have already purchased a pair of 2370a horns for this project. Another goal is to work on the 2426H equalization which I saw some excellent work done at this forum.

Since I no longer have access to RCA's listening room ( a great place to blow off steam on the company 4430's ;-) I cannot play loud at home (married, children, neighbors...), so I do my "experimenting" at church. Our church encourages "men stuff" i.e. hunting, etc., so there are a few of us audiets that work on various projects. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I am the only speaker builder in the group. I was working completely in the dark before I found this forum even though I have been designing and building since I was 12 (gray haired now...).

I promise building and completion pictures for you guys to feast on!

-Scott

My background:
1974 Built first pair of speakers
1983 AS Electronics Technology 3.05 GPA
1983 General Telephone Operators License
1984 Began 14 year career with RCA / Thomson Consumer Electronics as an Engineering Technoligist
1985 General Class Amateur Radio License

came across this thread Googling a driver. What's the latest, Scott?