PDA

View Full Version : Pro Sound At Home

RIGGED
12-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Got my 4691b Cabarets rockin my livin room-I'm lovin it!!!!!!!!
I must admit, I'm finding it quite difficult to deal with "normal" home speakers now. I guess it's much like driving a funny car around then jumpin into plain ole Corvette. lol

RIGGED

Paul D
12-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I've used many pro sound speakers in the home, mostly from JBL and electrovoice. Some people think its taboo but I think otherwise. I try to tell the non beleivers that more and more high end speakers are using pro
drivers (some are modified), they think I'm nuts! Thats ok with me, I hope they don't figure it out so the price of the pro stuff stays low.:applaud:

jcrobso
12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
If you look at the vintage JBL D130/D140F and the LE175/LE85/375 drivers etc. the first JBL pro speakers were derived from them. And they were derived from JBL motion picture experience.
The JBL SR4732 would make a great home speaker(except for the black fabric covering, but that would not stop me) dual 12", mid range horn with a 2445 driver and a baby cheeks tweeter. If a pair ever come on the market in Chicago I will buy them.
I currently have 40 year old D140Fs in home made Speaker Lab "K" horns, LE175 mid on Beyma bi radial horn and 075 tweeters. Yes they will knock your socks off. Yes pro speakers are great!:D John

4313B
12-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I love pro speakers.Me too! The 1500AL and 476BE are downright awesome. Too bad JBL Pro won't sell them to anyone but JBL Consumer. :(

Tweak48
12-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Got my 4691b Cabarets rockin my livin room-I'm lovin it!!!!!!!!
I must admit, I'm finding it quite difficult to deal with "normal" home speakers now. I guess it's much like driving a funny car around then jumpin into plain ole Corvette. lol
RIGGED

The "pro sound" speakers are particulary good in home theater applications. The dynamic range and "punch" are really come in handy for cinema sound tracks.

I don't know if I agree with your car analogy though.

Funny cars are pretty much only useful on a track or strip. A plain ole Corvette is loads of fun on a track, then you can take it for a 500 mile cruise down the coast in complete comfort.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tweak48/Garage1.jpg

jbl
12-24-2008, 11:39 AM
No turning back to non JBL pro once you try them.
The overkill build of pro gear in the home is a great advantage.

Zilch
12-24-2008, 12:55 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=197944#post197944

JBL Dog
12-24-2008, 01:09 PM
If you look at the vintage JBL D130/D140F and the LE175/LE85/375 drivers etc. the first JBL pro speakers were derived from them. And they were derived from JBL motion picture experience.
The JBL SR4732 would make a great home speaker(except for the black fabric covering, but that would not stop me) dual 12", mid range horn with a 2445 driver and a baby cheeks tweeter. If a pair ever come on the market in Chicago I will buy them.
I currently have 40 year old D140Fs in home made Speaker Lab "K" horns, LE175 mid on Beyma bi radial horn and 075 tweeters. Yes they will knock your socks off. Yes pro speakers are great!:D John

I'll be in Chicago next week. Any interest in my SR4732's??

:D

Titanium Dome
12-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Glad you guys are so excited about Pro gear in the home. I'll bet it's awesome, and it makes you happy and proud.

Who cares what anyone else thinks? Enjoy. :applaud:

toddalin
12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
plain ole Corvette

RIGGED

No such aminal. :p

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_00032.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/index_0021.jpg

4313B
12-24-2008, 02:59 PM
No such aminal. :pAgreed...

4313B
12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
No turning back to non JBL pro once you try them.JBL Pro drivers designed specifically for JBL Consumer... ;)

Ultra low distortion, highly linear, with all the power and dynamics one would expect from JBL.

KromeDome
12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
The "pro sound" speakers are particulary good in home theater applications. The dynamic range and "punch" are really come in handy for cinema sound tracks.

I don't know if I agree with your car analogy though.

Funny cars are pretty much only useful on a track or strip. A plain ole Corvette is loads of fun on a track, then you can take it for a 500 mile cruise down the coast in complete comfort.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tweak48/Garage1.jpg

Now THATS a nice paddock!!! :applaud:

Titanium Dome
12-24-2008, 03:44 PM
JBL Pro drivers designed specifically for JBL Consumer... ;)

Ultra low distortion, highly linear, with all the power and dynamics one would expect from JBL.

Glad to still see a LaserDisc player in his living room.

hjames
12-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Agreed...

NICE car G - is that your weekend fun?
Its certainly got that Classic JBL burnt orange look ... whew!

4313B
12-24-2008, 04:50 PM
NICE car G - is that your weekend fun?
Its certainly got that Classic JBL burnt orange look ... whew!More like a weekend deathtrap. Way overpowered for a street vehicle. :rotfl:
Glad to still see a LaserDisc player in his living room.I'm anxious to see the forum members who duplicated this loudspeaker system post their versions.

RIGGED
12-24-2008, 05:39 PM
I was only jokin about the Vette remark, I'd love to own one but with 3 kiddos in the house, makes it difficult.

I'm just blown away at the punch JBL pro produces, so in your face!

During the day I like my music low but at night I like to crank it up, almost like Dr. Low and Mr. Decibel. lol

About a month ago, after imbibing more than my share of Coronas, I blew a woofer out on my LX55's-foolishly trying to recreate the same amount of sound I get from my Cabarets, takes a while to get use to.

RIGGED

Triumph Don
12-24-2008, 06:56 PM
JBL Pro drivers designed specifically for JBL Consumer... ;)

What models are these?

RIGGED
12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Glad you guys are so excited about Pro gear in the home. I'll bet it's awesome, and it makes you happy and proud.

Who cares what anyone else thinks? Enjoy. :applaud:

I purchased a pair of HPM 100s just the other day from a fellow on Craigslist. The dude had an all M&K setup, tall lanky speaks with 4 surround sound speakers. He told me that his setup did a good job mimicking a concert, I told him dude, I have JBL pro in my living room, I'm at the concert!

I know my hearing will suffer in the long run but what the hell, I'm having a blast losing it. lol

"The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

RIGGED

Titanium Dome
12-24-2008, 07:20 PM
My grandson and I beg to differ. Of course it has JBL GTI Series inside, not Bose. The JBL GTI Series is an exceptional line of drivers and amps. In some aspects it is beyond Pro. The JBL Pro guys certainly benefit from its innovations, and vice versa.

Titanium Dome
12-24-2008, 07:26 PM
What models are these?

They're GT Specials. One of a kind, but replicable by the competent DIYer. Of course that leaves me out, but all the parts seem to be available to the dedicated searcher.

Triumph Don
12-24-2008, 07:36 PM
They're GT Specials. One of a kind, but replicable by the competent DIYer. Of course that leaves me out, but all the parts seem to be available to the dedicated searcher.

Possibly a 1200 Array on a 1500 sub?

Zilch
12-24-2008, 09:51 PM
He told me that his setup did a good job mimicking a concert, I told him dude, I have JBL pro in my living room, I'm at the concert!Let's pretend. :banghead:

I know my hearing will suffer in the long run but what the hell, I'm having a blast losing it. lol-40 points. :scold:

Get the $50 R/S SPL meter, and use it.... :yes:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21857

opimax
12-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Titinitus sucks big time see Zilch's post above!!

Mark

boputnam
12-24-2008, 10:52 PM
More like a weekend deathtrap...Whoa... I had no clue! :o: Yikes, dood!

Now THATS a nice paddock!!! :applaud:Uh, yeah. Now I got some 'splainin' to do. The wifey thinks the multicar garage is designed to house pro audio SR gear... :o: (again)

4313B
12-25-2008, 03:34 AM
Whoa... I had no clue! :o: Yikes, dood!I have a VW Golf now Bo. :p The lowest horsepower model. :rotfl: Gas mileage is great though! :) The Vette was completely absurd in every way, a poor choice for a family car. Fun as all hell though. :applaud: Right up until the State Patrol gets involved.
What models are these?

Possibly a 1200 Array on a 1500 sub?"1200 Array" which is the 1200FE, Array Horn (1400 Array/SAM1HF), 435BE, 045BE. The sub is a 1500AL.

He used the 1500AL instead of the W1500H because he wanted it for future potential. The W1500H is the better choice for a dedicated subwoofer. Since he is using four 1500AL subs they work really well (two out in the room as shown and the rear two corner loaded).

He used the 1200FE in his personal system because "it can do things no other current JBL transducer can do".

Since JBL has come out with the SAM1HF anyone can buy that Array module and use it with any low frequency transducer they want, 8-inch, 10-inch, 12-inch, 14-inch, 15-inch. Note that the SAM1HF uses the 435AL and 045TI just like the 1400 Array does, not the 435BE and 045BE.

Greg ended up replacing the 435BE with the 476BE in the front two "1200 Arrays" about a year ago. He hasn't used the 045BE's for several years chosing to run first the 435BE's and then the 476BE's "all the way out".

About a month ago, after imbibing more than my share of Coronas, I blew a woofer out on my LX55's-foolishly trying to recreate the same amount of sound I get from my Cabarets, takes a while to get use to.The Cabarets were the greatest thing since sliced bread when they came out. Today they offer an intoxicating bang for the buck.

hjames
12-25-2008, 07:26 AM
JBL tech page on SAM1HF

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=SAM1HF
and
http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/products/front_large/SAM1HF.jpg

toddalin
12-25-2008, 12:17 PM
JBL tech page on SAM1HF

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=SAM1HF
and
http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/products/front_large/SAM1HF.jpg

Shows a slightly different horn flare.

BTW 4313B, if you think the C5 is a death trap, hop in an old C2! About the same power, but skinny (relatively) tires with nowhere near the suspension or handling capability or road manners.

Still, when cruising down the road, when you pull up next to someone, this is the general reaction: :jawdrop:

robertbartsch
12-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I have several JBL Pro systems in my house.

....much better than the heritage stuff IMO.

Mr. Widget
12-26-2008, 03:40 PM
I have a VW Golf now Bo. I was driving a friend's R32 the other day... that is one hell of a car. It looks innocent and yet it packs a punch... on real world roads it'll keep up with the Vette and you don't have all those people thinking you're a ass just because of the car you drive. :)

Oh, what were we talking about again?

Widget

mikebake
12-26-2008, 04:16 PM

RIGGED

Sorry, but for real driving pleasure, it's hard to beat this. And yes, the operator is me. I drove it around my neighbors house to make him jealous.

Mr. Widget
12-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Now this, would make me envious. :D

Widget

Ducatista47
12-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I was driving a friend's R32 the other day... that is one hell of a car. It looks innocent and yet it packs a punch... on real world roads it'll keep up with the Vette and you don't have all those people thing you''re a ass just because of the car you drive. :)

Oh, what were we talking about again?

Widget

I was in the service department of a Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/VW dealer this AM and in drives a VW Phaeton. OMG. What a Q ship. An absolutely ordinary looking VW sedan, like a longer, sleeker Passat.

I read that if one were to lose the limiter chip it would do at least 180 to 201mph (323km/h!) depending on the engine, and handle like a VW while doing it. I think even the diesel could do over 190mph.

Here is an amusing review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmGNRMOpg7E

Clark

mikebake
12-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Now this, would make me envious. :D

Widget
I would tend to agree, but a further benefit is that when the Bud trailer shows up, the beer is free....................

hjames
12-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I would tend to agree, but a further benefit is that when the Bud trailer shows up, the beer is free....................

yeah, but - its still Bud, innit?

Doc Mark
12-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Greetings, Widget, and All,

I didn't drink my first beer until I was 50 years old. Dad always drank the worst rot-gut swill/beer he could find, and his fetid breath convinced me at an early age that "beer" was for pigs, and not for human consumption!! :blink:

But, Sweet Bride was working in Ireland, back when I was fifty, and I flew over to spend our 20th anniversary together after her gig. One of my very good friends, who brews his own beer, told me that if I didn't drink a "real" Guinness Draught whilst in Ireland, he would lose what little respect he still had for me, and that I didn't "have a hair on my arse" if I did not drink at least one "dark gold" in celebration of my birthday, and our anniversary!! So, one our last night in Ireland, before we flew out of Dublin, I broke down and ordered a "pint O' the black"!! Our waiter told me that, if I did not love it, he would drink it, himself, and tossed me a knowing wink!! Well, wonder of wonders, it was actually very refreshing, and quite good! So, at age fifty, I became a "dark beer" devoté, and I've never looked back!! Budweiser, Coors, Miller, and most of the other "regular" American brands, are only good for cleaning stubborn stains out of nasty old toilets!!! But, GUINNESS is the nectar of heaven, as far as I'm concerned!!! Yes!! I've also "discovered" that many of the better, dark, American Micro-brews are good, too! Better late, than never, eh??!! ;):D:applaud::bouncy: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

mikebake
12-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Greetings, Widget, and All,

I didn't drink my first beer until I was 50 years old. Dad always drank the worst rot-gut swill/beer he could find, and his fetid breath convinced me at an early age that "beer" was for pigs, and not for human consumption!! :blink:

But, Sweet Bride was working in Ireland, back when I was fifty, and I flew over to spend our 20th anniversary together after her gig. One of my very good friends, who brews his own beer, told me that if I didn't drink a "real" Guinness Draught whilst in Ireland, he would lose what little respect he still had for me, and that I didn't "have a hair on my arse" if I did not drink at least one "dark gold" in celebration of my birthday, and our anniversary!! So, one our last night in Ireland, before we flew out of Dublin, I broke down and ordered a "pint O' the black"!! Our waiter told me that, if I did not love it, he would drink it, himself, and tossed me a knowing wink!! Well, wonder of wonders, it was actually very refreshing, and quite good! So, at age fifty, I became a "dark beer" devoté, and I've never looked back!! Budweiser, Coors, Miller, and most of the other "regular" American brands, are only good for cleaning stubborn stains out of nasty old toilets!!! But, GUINNESS is the nectar of heaven, as far as I'm concerned!!! Yes!! I've also "discovered" that many of the better, dark, American Micro-You only lostbrews are good, too! Better late, than never, eh??!! ;):D:applaud::bouncy: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
You only lost 30 years of enjoyment, no big deal!
Anyhows...............is there a "dad issue" here?

mikebake
12-26-2008, 09:27 PM
yeah, but - its still Bud, innit?
Yeah, true. Funny thing is, I've gone a whole bunch of other routes...Heineken was my high school/college rage, then Stella was penultimate in the early 80's, then the darks and micros etc. Then one day, the Bud Light taste bud spoke up.
My wife is a "wine snob" at this point in life, and I like some good wines, but the hangover they give me is like no other. Not liquor, nor beer, but wine? Oy, veh, my head!

mikebake
12-26-2008, 09:29 PM
yeah, but - its still Bud, innit?Oh, and one more thing.....we've all been at partys where that is all that is served; you would drink it if that was the house brew, no?

Mr. Widget
12-26-2008, 09:45 PM
...you would drink it if that was the house brew, no?If I ever was at a party where that was all that was available, it's been a very long time. Even in my college days, we were drinking imports... you know it being California and all. ;)

Widget

mikebake
12-26-2008, 09:54 PM
If I ever was at a party where that was all that was available, it's been a very long time. Even in my college days, we were drinking imports... you know it being California and all. ;)

Widget
Yeah, it's an honest drink, kinda like the revolt over the $5 fancy coffee vs. the basic cup of decent joe.
You just live in the wrong part of the country, that's all!

jandregg
12-26-2008, 10:11 PM
BUD!! It's not just a breakfast drink any longer.

hjames
12-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh, and one more thing ...
we've all been at parties where that is all that is served;
you would drink it if that was the house brew, no?

Honestly? No.
Nor Schlitz nor a number of others ...
I drink beer thats pleasant - Bud isn't.

Ducatista47
12-26-2008, 10:26 PM
OK, since this thread is the new off topic forum, this guy scares me. I have never split lanes in my life. Is there any chance this rider is still alive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgCnBaDvV84&feature=related

Now this guy I can understand. I've had this video for years. On topic :D, the Ducati Music is beautiful. Hey that's what we call it! It would sound great on JBL Pro Speakers. This video has one of my favorite soundtracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxxSjxbpSD0

Here is what a car and a bike sound like together. Great car, great bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKtlgLdX2RI&feature=related

Clark

Robh3606
12-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Oh, and one more thing.....we've all been at partys where that is all that is served; you would drink it if that was the house brew, no?

Been there plenty of times and if that's all that's served I typically don't drink which is why I always BMOB to parties. Same thing with bars, if the beer doesn't make the cut I move on. I can't stand Bud, Coors Light or Corona's. People who like Bud, Coors Light and Corona's usually don't like what I drink either so we are even.

Rob:)

Fred Sanford
12-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Oh, and one more thing.....we've all been at partys where that is all that is served; you would drink it if that was the house brew, no?

Not a snob, but...no. Water or iced tea would be fine for me at that point. I think the only time I've ever enjoyed a Bud was when landscaping as a teen, and a homeowner brought out some cold ones in the height of summer. THAT was a godsend.

I did like Bud's organic brew Wild Hops, though, it was pretty damn good.

je

Tweak48
12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah, it's an honest drink, kinda like the revolt over the $5 fancy coffee vs. the basic cup of decent joe.
You just live in the wrong part of the country, that's all!

The key to Bud is that it is affordable, although I don't buy it any more.

It was our high school beer of choice in the early 70's. The Bud distributor sold us 15 gal kegs for $35, and would take ski boots, skis, or even someone's car stereo as a deposit for the keg and taps. Very friendly fellow.

After picking up the keg, we'd swing by the local Arctic Circle drive in and pick up a box of 100 sixteen ounce cups and head for one of the local canyons!

Big fun in the fresh air! A good stress reliver after a long week of school.

BTW, at that time my Dad was running field coil Lansing Iconics driven by Marantz 9's. My buddies dad ran Hartsfields driven by 9's as well. Another buddy's dad ran an all Mac system, which didn't sound nearly as good. It was argueably the prettiest though.

For acoustic musical instruments, I really liked the Iconics the best. However for Jimi Hendrix and Zep, the Hartsfields ruled, no doubt.

demon
12-27-2008, 09:30 AM
wikipedia on the original budweiser:

Since the 19th century, Budweiser (like Pilsener from Pilsen (Plzeň)) became a synonym for a style of beer. This led in 1907 to the "Budweiser trademark dispute" between beer companies owning or claiming trademarks rights:

* Budweiser Bier Bürgerbräu, founded 1795 by German-speaking citizens of Budweis, was exporting Budweiser Bier to America since 1875. The company was expropriated by the communists in 1945 and changed names, but after the fall of communism reacquired old naming rights in the 1990s
* Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch), from Anheuser-Busch in the United States, has been marketed since the 1870s as "Budweiser" in United States and Canada
* Budweiser Budvar, a brewery founded in 1895 mainly by Czech-speaking citizens of Budweis (České Budějovice)link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser

when i was still into beer i really enjoyed the ol' budvar. very refreshing and colourful.

--cheers--
mikey

Mr. Widget
12-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Not a snob, but...no. Water or iced tea would be fine for me at that point.:yes:

when i was still into beer i really enjoyed the ol' budvar. very refreshing and colourful.I remember stumbling upon them in a French grocery store years ago while there still was a Checkloslovakia... at that time the name Budweiser was in small print on the label along with Budvar in bold type.

Widget

mikebake
12-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Dudes, who said anything about BUD It's BUD LIGHT! The trailer plainly says BUD LIGHT on it.
Last night a buddy brought out some Red Stripe. It's the best beer bottle ever.

Mr. Widget
12-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Dudes, who said anything about BUD It's BUD LIGHT!Joke right????

Last night a buddy brought out some Red Stripe. It's the best beer bottle ever.Hmmm... I guess you are a light beer fan. For me, if the sun can pass through it I am not interested. :D

Widget

mikebake
12-27-2008, 12:48 PM
No, I don't mean the beer in Red Stripe, I'm talking about the bottle.

Mr. Widget
12-27-2008, 01:14 PM
No, I don't mean the beer in Red Stripe, I'm talking about the bottle.:rotfl:

Widget

mikebake
12-27-2008, 01:18 PM
My boss pointed out last night that the Red Stripe bottle is the perfect size/weight/shape for a beer bottle.
http://www.redstripebeer.com/NR/rdonlyres/5AAA408E-AE29-4772-823F-53BC5879B184/0/img_about.jpg

JBL Dog
12-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Talk about a hijacked thread.

:applaud:

I still support my (once) local brewery. I drank Busch until Bud Light was introduced in the early 80's. Now I drink Budweiser Select.

mikebake
12-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Now we're talking.

SEAWOLF97
12-27-2008, 01:59 PM
there was a time that I thot if cut, I'd bleed either San Miguel or ba muoi ba (33). -back in the old irresponsible days :o:

Mr. Widget
12-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I drank Busch until Bud Light was introduced in the early 80's. Now I drink Budweiser Select.Do they put rice in that one too?

Widget

RIGGED
12-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Talk about a hijacked thread.

:applaud:

I still support my (once) local brewery. I drank Busch until Bud Light was introduced in the early 80's. Now I drink Budweiser Select.

LOL, you ain't jokin, how could a topic like Pro Sound At Home turn into beer speak?
Cool lookin Vettes dudes.

RIGGED

Mr. Widget
12-27-2008, 07:23 PM
LOL, you ain't jokin, how could a topic like Pro Sound At Home turn into beer speak?Beer's more interesting? :duck:

I guess, if you drink enough beer even some Cabarets can sound good as hi-fi speakers. ;)

:cheers:

Widget

RIGGED
12-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Beer's more interesting? :duck:

I guess, if you drink enough beer even some Cabarets can sound good as hi-fi speakers. ;)

:cheers:

Widget

Now that you mention it Mr. Widget, I only Cabaret while Consuming Corona. lol

Nah, beer is a great topic, followed by grillin steaks.

RIGGED