PDA

View Full Version : Foot for Altec Model 19

Mister Tawny
12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I need the plans or maybe someone has a pair of the black feet for my Model 19's. I purchased them from the original owner who insists that they never had them. No holes drilled for them supports this too. But for the sake of appearances I would like to add them. Any thoughts? Thanks!

louped garouv
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
a thread that may help...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22754&highlight=altec+bases+particle

basically, the optional base was very close to the divider between the horn enclosure and lower box...

i've personally read that poplar would be a good material to build them out of, as opposed to the original particle board...

(oops, and welcome aboard)

jeenie67
12-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi, I own Model 14's and 15's which the 15's are a smaller version of the 19's. I printed the Altec/JBL page on the 15/19's which show the footer. I took mine off to place them a little higher. The material used was particle board strips about 20" x 2" x3/4". Simple and secured with 4 wood screws into the bottom of the cabinet. I would suggest depending on your listening environment whatever works good for you. Marble slabs from Lowe's garden dept. work very well, so do cabinet spikes fabricated from Marlin 444 Magnum cartridges with spitzer bullets (that's what I use now). I had my friend at the gun center drain the powder from a box of a dozen; cost was $20...cheap effective spikes.

Doc Mark
12-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi, I own Model 14's and 15's which the 15's are a smaller version of the 19's. I printed the Altec/JBL page on the 15/19's which show the footer. I took mine off to place them a little higher. The material used was particle board strips about 20" x 2" x3/4". Simple and secured with 4 wood screws into the bottom of the cabinet. I would suggest depending on your listening environment whatever works good for you. Marble slabs from Lowe's garden dept. work very well, so do cabinet spikes fabricated from Marlin 444 Magnum cartridges with spitzer bullets (that's what I use now). I had my friend at the gun center drain the powder from a box of a dozen; cost was $20...cheap effective spikes.

Hi, Jeenie67,

I am wondering about your .444 Marlin cartridge/spikes. As a cartridge reloader of many years, I know that it's possible, and actually probably, that the spitzer bullet you have in your cartridges, can be shifted back down into the case, unless they are actually glued in with some fairly strong stuff. The weight of your speakers may well force the bullets down inside the empty cases, unless precautions were taken to keep that from happening. Did your gun friend glue yours in, fill the empty cartridges with some other material to keep the bullet from being pushed back inside, or just reseat them as he normally would when reloading them for use? Also, as the bullets are probably lead, coated with copper, they might deform when in use as a speaker spike. Not too hard, actually, unless the bullets are specially contructed of something besides lead and copper. I'd like to know more about, exactly, what your friend used to cobble together your speaker spikes, please, if you know that information. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

jeenie67
01-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi, My friend just took the powder out (pulling the original bullets off and keeping them). I took 'em home and filled the cartridge with carbon welding rod a little bit bigger than the diameter of the cartridge neck (plain luck in finding old stock carbon welding rods in one of the labs where I perform work/study for college). A little sandpaper and a coping saw later, they filled the shell nicely. The spitzers I bought (dirt cheap for all this, I think with tax $12 to $14 a doz. for everything) I just hammered in with a hard plastic mallet. Where the cap was I threaded in brass machine screws of two different lengths; back and front. I wasn't concerned with any adjustment capability, just get more space under the cabinets and with a pre-determined angle of attack! I used to shoot target and a little skeet years ago so I was aware, deep in my data bank mind, of the different calibers, their different sizes, and the ream of bullets available to dial in a comination to take out a fox at 400 meters with a Mini 14! Consistantly! The tips sit on U.S. currency..nickles. It simply works ..for me. Thanks...what a great site! Jeenie

Doc Mark
01-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey, Jeenie,

Thanks for the extra information. Sounds like your Marlin Spikes (no pun intended, for you fishermen out there!), will work fine for you.

I, too, like the Ruger Mini-14, and Sweet Bride actually won her very first DCM match using our Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, many years ago! She's quite a shooter, that's for sure! Those little Rugers can be very accurate, if you spend a little time with them, as you've found. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc