PDA

View Full Version : new (to me) JBl L250's

thymanst
12-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I just purchased some JBL L250s from a garage sale and I love them - I am new to this forum and it looks like a treasure trove of JBL information - I already have some L80s's and a pair of L36's my son has in his dorm room(I refinished these) - I'm not sure what finish they are in (Walnut or Brazillion Rosewood) - I'm running them with a Meridian 502 pre and a Parasound 2200II amp off a mac mini - They are well balanced, clear and have a wonderful low end - I had to repair the surrounds on the woofers, make new grills and put Howards wax and feed on the cabinets - here is a pics show how they turned out :)

dino
12-22-2008, 09:13 AM
u did a great job on the cabs. I own a pair of L250 they are a great sounding speaker . how much did u pay for them at the garage sale

pmakres1
12-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I just purchased some JBL L250s from a garage sale and I love them - I am new to this forum and it looks like a treasure trove of JBL information - I already have some L80s's and a pair of L36's my son has in his dorm room(I refinished these) - I'm not sure what finish they are in (Walnut or Brazillion Rosewood) - I'm running them with a Meridian 502 pre and a Parasound 2200II amp off a mac mini - They are well balanced, clear and have a wonderful low end - I had to repair the surrounds on the woofers, make new grills and put Howards wax and feed on the cabinets - here is a pics show how they turned out :)

Very nice my friend....congratulations and welcome to the forum! (what a grand entrance!) It is indeed a great forum and a welth of JBL info can be found here.

Congratulations again!! :applaud::applaud:

Pete

thymanst
12-22-2008, 11:44 AM
I saw a Craigs Garage Sale ad for "Vintage JBLs that need recone" it was on a Sunday and I dropped by thinking it wouldn't be anything of interest - I drove by the house and was about to keep going (an old house with a bunch of stuff laying on the ground and some stuff in the garage) but decided to check it out for the heck of it - I walked into the garage and I immediatly saw the speakers both on a flat roll cart - I looked them over and checked the drivers to see if they were frozen - the woofers had no surrounds and one didnt seem to push easily - He asked me what I'd offer for them - I asked him how much he wanted for them - he said $200 and away they went with me. I had to put on new surrounds and made new grills for them - they are a speaker I never thought I'd own - but somtimes things just work out.....:D

rdgrimes
12-22-2008, 12:17 PM
No doubt about it, I hafta start hitting some garage sales. :banghead:

pmakres1
12-22-2008, 01:23 PM
No doubt about it, I hafta start hitting some garage sales. :banghead:

Yeah, me too!! :banghead:

200 bucks? You really did good...and I mean really good! :applaud:

Enjoy, as I'm sure you will.....

Pete

dino
12-22-2008, 02:16 PM
200.00:jawdrop: for a pair of L250 u did great- congratulations:applaud::applaud::applaud:

jblnut
12-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Nicely done - Welcome !

jblnut

Titanium Dome
12-22-2008, 06:17 PM
That's a great prize! Welcome and congratulations.

Did you take any before, during, and after pictures to memorialize your adventure? If so, we'd love to see them.

:applaud:

JeffW
12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Hopefully he'll post 'em up here, but there's a thread on them Here (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195917)

Titanium Dome
12-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Hopefully he'll post 'em up here, but there's a thread on them Here (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195917)

Thanks for the link. :thmbsup:

evans224
12-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Wow! Beautiful!
You mention Mac Mini-are you using it as a music server?

thymanst
12-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Its been a couple of good weeks at the garage sales (I hadnt been to one in over a year) - the week before the L250's I got a Parasound HCA-2200II amplifier ,a paradigm servo 15 & a velodyne f1500 servo subs for $175 all mint - The JBL's were the 135 (270) pound frosting on the cake... I had some 4311b's and have the L36's and L80S's (the s version seems kind of rare - it has vinyl finish on them) - I started reading on threads here how to update to 250ti's, I'm fairly handy with tools and a soldering(sp?) iron - the L80s have the 35ti tweeter and the mid thats in the 250ti's - anyway theres a lot of cool info here and I'm always open to trying new things - I could post before and after, but the link goes to a more full version of how I got these speakers updated - I dont use a CD drive anymore, all my music is ripped lossless thru the Mac Mini - I have the music backed up to a external drive just in case - It works wonderfully - I have just ripped the songs I liked off the CD's - I have enough songs to play for over a week without repeating:)