PDA

View Full Version : HT Speakers

dentcorn
12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Awhile back I posted in this forum. We are going to move into another house and it has a nice sized room in the basement for a home theater setup. At that time I was thinking of using about a 46-50 inch plasma, building my own sub using a 2245H, and scrounging Ebay or Craig's list for some vintage JBL speakers - maybe L166's or L96's or L112's, etc. Since then I have lost a little enthusiasm for the project and have seen some of the L series HT speakers for sale on Ebay (refurb by Harman Audio) - L820, L830, L860. Maybe I should just use those in my 5.1 setup along with my 2245 sub. Any ideas - I still like the original idea, but it seems like there are less L166's for sale (my favorites) and maybe mixing and matching the speakers is not the best idea. I have read the reviews where the new L series sound quite good. Any comments?
Another question: If I used my 2245H in an 8-9 cu ft cabinet, and wanted to use 3 ports (actually going to use S1S-EX dimensions) what size and length of tubes should I use? (I had this all figured out with Eminence Designer software but lost the CD-ROM and it needs it to "unlock" the program and I refuse to pay another $80 for another CD...) I'm assuming I will want it tuned to about 25-30hz.
Any and all help will be much appreciated.

jblsound
12-21-2008, 09:13 AM
The Studio L series is a very good set of speakers, especially at the refurb prices. And they are really just overstock.

The best of the small models are the L820 and LC2, which have real midrange drivers. The L890 can handle the bass w/o a sub, I had a pair in my HT while I was veneering my main subs. I was really surprised at how much bass there was(220w amp).

As for your sub, go to the Precision Sound Products home page, there you'll see a calculator link.
http://www.psp-inc.com/

hjames
12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm using an LC2 as a center - its an awesome speaker and plays quite well, even tho I've got it mismatched with my 4341 as Fronts.

The Studio L series is a very good set of speakers, especially at the refurb prices. And they are really just overstock.

The best of the small models are the L820 and LC2, which have real midrange drivers. The L890 can handle the bass w/o a sub, I had a pair in my HT while I was veneering my main subs. I was really surprised at how much bass there was(220w amp).

As for your sub, go to the Precision Sound Products home page, there you'll see a calculator link.
http://www.psp-inc.com/