PDA

View Full Version : And now for my 4311B's

groover
12-14-2008, 09:50 PM
So I posted about my 4411's with two rotting foams. I also have a pair of 4311B's. They look to be fine right now, and I understand that these use cloth instead of foam to bridge between the cone and the gasket? What does that mean? Are they less likely to rot? If they are in good shape now, should I fire them up and leave them be?

While we're on the subject, what the difference between the 4411 and 4311b? I read that 4311b is near field monitor while 4411 is more for stereo? In a 20 x 20 room which is going to provide the better sound?

Love seeing a forum with this many people dedicated to JBL's

pmakres1
12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
So I posted about my 4411's with two rotting foams. I also have a pair of 4311B's. They look to be fine right now, and I understand that these use cloth instead of foam to bridge between the cone and the gasket? What does that mean? Are they less likely to rot? If they are in good shape now, should I fire them up and leave them be?

While we're on the subject, what the difference between the 4411 and 4311b? I read that 4311b is near field monitor while 4411 is more for stereo? In a 20 x 20 room which is going to provide the better sound?

Love seeing a forum with this many people dedicated to JBL's

I'm sure others will chime in on this...but to answer your first question, the cloth, or accordian surrounds as they are sometimes called, last much longer than the foam surrounds (less susceptible to rot). If they are in good shape, I'd say leave them alone. They last and last.

BMWCCA
12-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Never having owned a pair of 4311s (but listened to the type often over the past 35 years) my understanding is the edge of the cone is treated with a flexible substance to reinforce the accordion-fold edge which is actually part of the cone itself, rather than an additional cloth material applied to the cone. I'm happy to be corrected but regardless, they apparently last nearly forever. Or at least my lifetime, so far.

I have a fifty-year-old D130 with untreated edges that has soldiered on its (and my) entire life without needing any cone repair. Granted its magnet may age and lose power, and its cones may not spec out exactly as original any longer, but it still sounds great to me. I'm sure I still look the same as I did when the D130 was brought into my home when I was three, too! :D

brutal
12-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Inspect the surrounds and if it looks like the doping (thick, sticky, goo) is pooling towards the bottom, carefully remove them and re-orient.

4411 is also a nearfield monitor - the monitor version of the L112 which trounces any (non Ti) L100 follow-on variant.

IMHO, although I have never heard a 4411, I strongly suspect they will spank the 4311B. The 128H in the 4411 is well known as a hard hitter, and the 044 driver will put an LE25 to shame.

The cloth accordion edge is bonded to the (pulp paper and Aquaplas) cone and impregnated with the doping material to keep it soft and pliable.

In a 20x20 room, any NOT monitor will provide the better sound. I'd still go with the 4411, but listen and judge for yourself.

groover
12-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Ahh, I did notice the doping (thick goo) on one of the woofers. I assumed something had leaked onto the speaker at one point since it had actually made its way onto the cloth grill. Are we saying here that the goo is collected from the surround of the speaker since they were mounted in one position for many years? And it got onto the grill because they were mounted from the ceiling, tipped slightly downward? Makes sense.

How do I remove and rotate the speaker? I tried removing the four screws but the speaker did not easily move and it made me nervous to try to pry it out? Is there a trick I am missing.

These sound incredible, but do lack a tight punchy bass. If I ran them with a pair of 4411's will I likely get a satisfying bass or do I need to look into a subwoofer to compliment the 4311b's? Any recommendations on that?

brutal
12-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Yes, the doping gravitates with placement and heat (usually sun exposure) making it worse.

Don't pry anywhere, you'll either damage the baffle or woofer.

Although I frequently use a stainless steel spring hook in the hole, the "drop" method is often recommended here to dislodge woofers.

Lay a couple 1x2 flat and spaced apart under a heavy towel on a thick carpet after removing the screws, and while carefully holding onto the driver, roll the speaker onto it's face that the boards are on top/bottom edge of the speaker without touching any drivers. Make sure you're not in jeopardy of pushing another driver in and rap the back or slightly lift/drop the woofer end of the speaker until the woofer drops out. Roll it back over paying careful attention to the lead attachments.

I've also sometimes been able to leave the speaker standing, backing out the screws about halfway and then rapping on either side/back of the cabinet with my hand to "pop" the seal.

The 4411 should provide plenty of bass. I agree 4311 seem more lacking in that regard so supplementing with a sub isn't a bad idea. 4310/4311 are follow-ons to L100 and IMHO are rock-n-roll speakers. Colored, and if you want substantial bass, played loud.