PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for subwoofers in HT system

HemiMoparGuy198
12-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi All,

Starting a new thread to get more views on subwoofers. There is some repeated info from another thread, sorry, but easier than typing it all again. I currently have some equipment that I want to set up in a surround sound system. I need some ideas as to what else to use. I have a pair of JBL 4647A (incase any don't recall to save from looking up is essentially 4507 Cabinets with 2226 speakers ) with 2380A horns on top with 2445J drivers. I want to use these as my front mains in my surround sound set up. I have decided on JBL 8330 or 8340 for surrounds. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should use for a subwoofer, or two?

Also need ideas for a crossover setup for the 2380/2245. Because these are screwed to the top of the 4647's. I do plan to build an enclosure around them, but right now they are attached with L brackets. They came this way when I bought them, with no corssover. And according to some research (in other forums) a whisper over 500 Hz will fry the coil in the horns, so I need a way to avoid this for when I replace the diaphragms. I am strongly considering using active crossovers (typically less resistive, thus less compromising the sound, no matter how minimal.) But, JBL does make speakers with passive crossovers, so I was also considering those. Ideas? Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

Eric

JBL 4645
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, strange how we keep bumping into each other? Must be those rat burgers? :D

Take a gander at the best of the best in cinema installations throughout the world. My pick hmmm, now that would be telling. JBL 4645B 4645C and JBL 4642A in fact the 4642A is used a part of stage speaker in tri-amp configuration at famous Hollywood screening room and at the Empire Leicester Square, I can vouch they sound very impressive even in large auditorium. 4645C are used for the sub bass channel x16 20KW and they pack a wallop.
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=35&MId=1 (http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=35&MId=1)

HemiMoparGuy198
12-12-2008, 05:04 PM
LOL, yes must be the rat burgers. I was kinda thinking of the 4642 for a sub. But wanted more input from more knowledgable people that myself. I mentioned this in my other thread as well. That'll teach me not to check both before I post a reply containing more questions. Anyway, I think I have my system pretty much pcked out and planned thanks to all of your help. I may have to take a trip to the UK to check out this Empire Leicester you speak of. That and it'd be a good excuse to come check out the country that most of my roots came from

Thanks for all of your input

JBL 4645
12-12-2008, 05:20 PM
It’s a damn pity JBL doesn’t produce the TCB 4688 anymore that’s a monster of JBL sub.

Why travel when you can have free peek at the famous cinema in the West End of London.http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13057 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13057)

HemiMoparGuy198
12-12-2008, 06:16 PM
The pics were great, but doesn't do anything for me to hear the system

maxwedge
12-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi All,
Also need ideas for a crossover setup for the 2380/2245. Because these are screwed to the top of the 4647's. I do plan to build an enclosure around them, but right now they are attached with L brackets. They came this way when I bought them, with no corssover. And according to some research (in other forums) a whisper over 500 Hz will fry the coil in the horns, so I need a way to avoid this for when I replace the diaphragms. I am strongly considering using active crossovers (typically less resistive, thus less compromising the sound, no matter how minimal.) But, JBL does make speakers with passive crossovers, so I was also considering those. Ideas? Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

Eric
I'd cross those over at 800hz, Your choice active or passive.
I prefer active with adjustable delays to phase aline the drivers in the crossover region. You'll need 2 stereo amps if you go active.

Robh3606
12-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Need ideas for subwoofers in HT system

With JBL drivers using Cinema boxes either a 2245 or a 2242. Want kind of SPL in how large a room?? Double 2226's are overkill in a typical home setting. I am not saying you shouldn't use them or they won't work but using JBL drivers as subs, room size and efficiency, makes a difference. I use LE-14's and they work fine SPL wise in my room. In a larger room they may not cut it as an example.

Rob:)