PDA

View Full Version : Do I need 4688 subs?

Balderdash1
12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Am in the process of getting drivers together for 4345 type of system but a pair of 4688 subs have become available locally. What is the consensus
on these. I would recone the drivers to 2245. Do these subs provide "quality" bass?

loach71
12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
I have 4688 clones with 2245H drivers. They work very well.
Use search function for 4688 to see the design diagrams.

Zilch
12-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Alas, I have but one.... ;)

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6782

JBL 4645
12-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Alas, I have but one.... ;)

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6782

Zilch

You suck :D those are pucker looking awesome looking sounding beasts. The TCB story is this right that it was part of Bose or is it the other way around??

:sleigh:

Balderdash1
12-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Well I guess I have just one now too. When I saw how big these these boxes were, I thought there's really no reason anyone should have to have two of these. It's like a coffin or something!

Also picked up (4) 2240H that need new surrounds, and a 6290 amp.
$300.00 not too bad...

I can get the other cab. But again..What can be gained from two of these stool softeners?

subwoof
12-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Dr bose and his company engage in very active patent search, interpretation and litigation to "enforce" his few patents.

His claim to having a patent on ANY cabinet that has more than one chamber (tuning ) led to JBL's canceling the TCB line ( in the US ) soon after it's introduction.

Although the claim is very tenuous, it was believed that a previous published paper was used as the inspiration by both companies but of course bose won't admit it.

if anybody can find something that predates the bose "blanket" patent assertation then it will become PUBLIC usage and mr bose will be S.O.L. and hopefully have to relinquish all the money he forced people to pay for licensing and defense.

As scooby would say, Rotsa Ruck!

sub

BTW - 2 of these would be considered a misdemeanor..:o)

Until that day finding these few cabs

Zilch
12-12-2008, 11:37 PM
The TCB story is this right that it was part of Bose or is it the other way around??Hi, Ashley, friend!

Subwoof just laid it out for us here. I gave the patent references in my earlier thread.

The Bose patents have long since expired, and the multi-chamber bandpass concept has appeared in more recent designs by JBL and others, but nothing like the original TCB monsters.... :thmbsup:

Edit: Here's the Tech Note that tells what's going on with these:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6289

I can get the other cab. But again..What can be gained from two of these stool softeners?They will also make your ears bleed, and crack the stucco.... :yes:

loach71
12-13-2008, 04:48 PM
My plans for this summer are the other TWO 4688 TCB clones. I guess I will be in the felony zone with four of these beasts.
Each are driven by a bridged BGW 750C, crossed over at 66Hz, 24 dB / Oct.
They weigh about 450 lbs each, but they are quite happy in my basement.
The bass is prodigious, and surprisingly musical. I had previously thought bandpass enclosures were "one-note johnnies"...