PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters

lcswoosh05
12-11-2008, 05:12 AM
I always wondered about this but is there any different on sound of the tweeters between the (25mm) Pure-titanium dome tweeters and the 3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome tweeters? If there is what is the difference on the sound?

Mr. Widget
12-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I always wondered about this but is there any different on sound of the tweeters between the (25mm) Pure-titanium dome tweeters and the 3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome tweeters? Yes

If there is what is the difference on the sound?I don't know, but typically a smaller diameter dome will give you better dispersion but will require a higher crossover frequency. Of course in this comparison the two domes are of different construction so the differences between the two will be even greater.

Widget

lcswoosh05
12-11-2008, 01:39 PM
If there is a difference in the two tweeters which one gives better highs? Or do they both give good clear highs? I did noticed that the one that has titanium-laminated dome tweeters do have a higher crossover too because it has a smaller tweeter. But I don't know which tweeters will give better highs.

Mr. Widget
12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
If there is a difference in the two tweeters which one gives better highs?If you tell us the make and model numbers you are interested in, maybe we'd be able to give you a better response.

Widget

Slare
12-12-2008, 08:46 AM
There are big differences and they all have different sound / dispersion characteristics.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the 035ti / tia 1" titanium domes, and not such a big fan of the laminate tweeters. But the answer of preference is one of personal opinion.

lcswoosh05
12-12-2008, 05:53 PM
I did listen to the JBL L820 today and yes I do hear that the highs are much more realistic than my Monitor meaning the highs sounds more like real cymbals crashing. I' am not saying that my Monitor from the Venue Series speakers are bad speaker since they do sound really good and realistic but I think that the pure titanium dome tweeters give more lifelike highs that's all. Also I think that I can hear more of the low highs better on pure titanium dome tweeters that's maybe why the cymbals sounds more realistic. I did not get to hear the ES Series yet but I will soon since Nebraska Furniture Mart sells all of the ES series and the Studio L Series. I might bring my CD to listen to my music next time and listen to all of them and compair. I won't be able to afford them right now but maybe in the way future I might get them.

I listen to hear if I hear any highs coming out of the ultrahigh frequency drivers but it seems I don't hear much sound coming out of them. Very little highs come out of them. But maybe that's because humans can't hear above 20kHz. I can barely hear 18kHz but I can hear 17.5kHz very loud and clear. I really think though that it is pointless to add that ultrahigh frequency driver since I don't think anyone pretty much can hear it I mean I had to put my ears upto the driver to barely hear anything coming out of it. I think JBL should of just kept one driver for the highs like the Studio Series or the Venue Series since unless you have ears like dogs you can't hear anything above 20kHz.

lcswoosh05
12-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I did today listen to the ES Series and they yes do sound a little better than the Venue Series but they are really almost the same. The only difference I hear is that the ES Series has a little more natural sound but if I cover the ultrahigh it sounds exactly like the Venue Series speakers. I noticed that the ultrahigh driver barely makes sound but it seemed like it was playing lower high sounds for somereason when normaly it's suppose to be playing higher sounds than 20kHz. The titanium-laminated dome tweeters played the highs the most like the Venue Series. I did listen to the ES20 which is the speaker like my monitor and they do sound really alike but the ES20 sounds just a little bit better I think but they are pretty much the same speakers and I kinda think it's a waste to add that ultrahigh driver. But maybe that's why the highs sounded a little better since it added the lower high sound to it which I don't think it was suppose to do that. The Studio L Series tweeters was more powerful but maybe that's what you guys mean by brighter. I do see why you guys say that titanium-laminated dome tweeters is warm sound since it's not hard on your ears at all. The Studio L Series didn't hurt my ears eather but just had more realistic highs.

I took alot of my music and listen to the speakers so now I pretty much know how the ES Series and Studio L Series sound like.

Overall I think the Venue Series and the ES Series and Studio L Series are great speakers but the best I think is the Studio L Series since it has that pure titanium dome. But one problem is that they are soo expensive and I can't afford them. I can maybe only afford the ES20 since they are not extremely expensive. But Since there is only little different in the two I don't know if it's worth it. But I do like good sound so maybe when I have enough money I can get it.

Do you guys agree on how I think about the speakers?
Also do you guys think I probley should get the ES20 that has a little bit better sound on the highs?

metabaron
12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi,
you may be a younger guy? I had tested for many years ago, that I heard >17kHz about I was 17 years (young). Now I'm a lot of older and I think it will be no more than 15kHz probably lesser. In next time I will try a contest with a frequency generator. It seems that will be no more than 12KHz for me to listen...:blink:

Sorry, I can't state anything to those tweeters, but enjoy your ability to listen this highs :)

Mr. Widget
12-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi Andre, we've discussed this topic in other threads... mostly off topic as this one is, but suffice it to say, that while you may only hear a sinewave beyond 12KHz or so, you will still hear musical overtones exceeding that frequency. I am not sure if anyone has actually properly studied this phenomenon, but through my own measurements of several individuals and other similar anecdotal accounts, I am certain that humans have a more difficult time hearing pure tones than they do actual music or noise related high frequency sources.

Widget

metabaron
12-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi widget,
sorry for that OT, but I know about the abilitiy to hear soundcomplexes in other kind than sinuswaves. Accuphase had resaerched about this phenomen in the 80's and confirmed, that in complex sounds embedded HF is listenable what as sinuswave is unlistenable. In my younger years I was able to listen sinuswave up to 17kHz. The german magazine AUDIO had made a contest with different people with special test sounds and found out that people are different able to listen overtones, independend from their age. It was very interesting.

JBL 4645
12-22-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi Andre, we've discussed this topic in other threads... mostly off topic as this one is, but suffice it to say, that while you may only hear a sinewave beyond 12KHz or so, you will still hear musical overtones exceeding that frequency. I am not sure if anyone has actually properly studied this phenomenon, but through my own measurements of several individuals and other similar anecdotal accounts, I am certain that humans have a more difficult time hearing pure tones than they do actual music or noise related high frequency sources.

Widget

What about testing it on cats!? :D I mean there range exceeds ours tenfold. I can play a tone above 12KHz or 16Khz deepening on the level I might not hear it or I might be part of the room where there is dip and in another part a peak. My cat can pick out sine waves if I play a tone its head will turn around like radar and look at the front of the room.

Mice have high pitch squeak of around 100.000Khz and the cats range extends to around that limit.
So they can gobble up Mr. Mice for dinner.

I wonder if cats hearing changes as it gets older in its younger life, the same way as it for us, when we reach 15 or 16 years of ages our hearing narrows off slightly on the high frequencies

Oh, there is only so far I can play the highs on my JBL control 5 titanium dome tweeter; I think 20Khz is about maximum operating range. Not sure what the maximum sound pressure level is at 1 metre range?

I wonder if (Jean Michel Jarre) has any sonic super highs on “Oxygen” (part 1 and 2) I like the opening its tranquil and peaceful with mellow sparkly highs of transparency. :cool:

Yes

I don't know, but typically a smaller diameter dome will give you better dispersion but will require a higher crossover frequency. Of course in this comparison the two domes are of different construction so the differences between the two will be even greater.

Widget

How high for the control 5 tweeter, I’m open for suggestions Widget.

:happyh::window:

Beowulf57
12-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Cats get up to 60-85Khz...but porpoises, that's another story: 150KHz!:D We need to get them involved in auditioning.;)