PDA

View Full Version : Recent main system pics

pmakres1
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Greetings all,

I've been asked to post some pics of the application I'm using my B460 Sub in...so here they are. There are some older threads that show the system, but earlier this year I did some major upgrading (new McIntosh MC501 monoblock amps). So, I figured I'd post some recent pics of my main system. The two side by side amps power my L220A's, while the third MC501 powers the B460.

Peter

pmakres1
12-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Here's a couple more, with closeups of the B460 and the newly upgraded BX63A.

Doc Mark
12-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Hey, Peter,

I love looking at photos of your system! I know, I've seen some of those before, but I'm happy seeing them again!! You have an outstanding system, and hey, not just one, either, but several outstanding systems!! Congrats, and thanks for sharing them with us! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who takes a ton of vicarious pleasure in seeing other really enjoying their own JBL-based systems!!) :bouncy::D:bouncy:

BMWCCA
12-11-2008, 06:34 AM
All those huge new pieces with the blinding blue lights just emphasize how ahead of its time, design-wise, the Nakamichi Dragon really was! :applaud:

Looks like a great system! Don't you need some Array 14000s in those corners? ;)

gerard
12-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Pmakres1 ,

i have 2 question please :

1- You already have a passive bass pr15. Do you really need also the B460 ? .

2- I have heard that Steve Gonzales made some dramatic upgrade on L220 using a compression driver instead of le5 !
What do you think of this upgrade .

Regards

Gerard .

pmakres1
12-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Pmakres1 ,

i have 2 question please :

1- You already have a passive bass pr15. Do you really need also the B460 ? .

2- I have heard that Steve Gonzales made some dramatic upgrade on L220 using a compression driver instead of le5 !
What do you think of this upgrade .

Regards

Gerard .

Hi Gerard,

While the L220 does have the passive radiator, this only extends the response of the LE14H. It does not begin to approach the level of performance the addition of a B460 provides....improved lower midrange (due to lower IM from the main speakers and amplifiers), not to even mention the dramatically improved low frequency performance and overall system headroom. To use JBL's words: "A B460 will make any good stereo system much better...."

I know Steve and am very familiar with his experimentations and upgrades to the L220, esp the replacement of the LE5-9 with various horn/compresson driver combos. I have no doubt these would be significant improvements....unfortunately, as of my last communications with Steve, he'd been unable to devise a combo that allowed one to install the back plate of the enclosure (with network) flush-that is, without adding a spacer of sorts, thus having the back plate stick way out of the rear of the enclosure. I can't live with that with the placement of my L220's-especially the right one. The driver/horn combination simply is too deep. It isn't just a cosmetic issue for me...though that does come to mind as well. My speakers are placed equidistant from the listening position, and to move one way out from the wall requires moving the other out as well. I would consider it if there were a combo that didn't require this compromise.

Pete

pmakres1
12-13-2008, 10:46 AM
All those huge new pieces with the blinding blue lights just emphasize how ahead of its time, design-wise, the Nakamichi Dragon really was! :applaud:

Looks like a great system! Don't you need some Array 14000s in those corners? ;)

Thanks!!

Too bad my Dragon no longer works...:(

I don't know if I'd like the Array 1400's, but I can't seem to stop envisioning a nice pair of L250's or 250Ti's....:bouncy:

Pete

4313B
12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Nice photos!

Here's a thought from five years ago...

#3 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10876&postcount=3)

Far more exciting than tossing an old HL92/LE85 at the problem, which, incidentally, the L220 design was trying to avoid in the first place. :rotfl:

gerard
12-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Sorry 4313B ; Can you extend or explain better :

"Far more exciting than tossing an old HL92/LE85 at the problem, which, incidentally, the L220 design was trying to avoid in the first place"

Thank you !

Gerard

4313B
12-13-2008, 11:48 AM
One of the major points of the L220 was aligning the acoustic centers of the various transducers, sticking an HL92/LE85 in the mess kind of defeats the design goal wholesale doesn't it? :p

If you don't want to bother with the 2344A or 2342 then use one of Zilch's waveguides instead. A waveguide with a 2452H-SL ($1,500 driver you can get off eBay for $200) is pretty tough to beat. Zilch should be able to provide you with a functional network as well.

pmakres1
12-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Nice photos!

Thanks!

Here's a thought from five years ago...

#3 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10876&postcount=3)

Far more exciting than tossing an old HL92/LE85 at the problem, which, incidentally, the L220 design was trying to avoid in the first place. :rotfl:

I've never been entirely convinced there was a "problem" in the first place....it seems a consensus of sorts here that the LE5-9 midrange was "the weak link" in the L220's design, but.....

One of the major points of the L220 was aligning the acoustic centers of the various transducers, sticking an HL92/LE85 in the mess kind of defeats the design goal wholesale doesn't it?

This point always comes up in my mind when this is discussed. IMHO, JBL was successful wth this concept. I've always loved the depth of image of my L220's compared to many other systems, including quite a few JBL systems.

4313B has stated, more than once I believe, that the L250's design was more successful in terms of real "time alignment". Also, that the lens was of dubious value...but, the lens was intended to both improve dispersion and recess the driver back the correct distance to attain acoustical alignment. Unfortunately, I've never had an opportunity to audition the L250/250Ti long enough to make my own judgement.

Pete

4313B
12-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I've never been entirely convinced there was a "problem" in the first place....it seems a consensus of sorts here that the LE5-9 midrange was "the weak link" in the L220's design, but.....That would imply that the LE5-9 was the "weak link" in every other JBL three-way system it was used in as well.

4313B has stated, more than once I believe, that the L250's design was more successful in terms of real "time alignment". Also, that the lens was of dubious value...Yep, so what? The L250 and 250Ti are better than 4313B's too but that has no impact on my ability to enjoy them anyway.

mike
12-13-2008, 07:39 PM
That would imply that the LE5-9 was the "weak link" in every other JBL three-way system it was used in as well.
Yep, so what? The L250 and 250Ti are better than 4313B's too but that has no impact on my ability to enjoy them anyway.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of people start out always trying to improve on their system and obtain the best performance they can but eventually settle down to enjoy what they have and simply listen to music. The older stuff is always nice to have when you reach this point.

Mike

pmakres1
12-13-2008, 08:49 PM
That would imply that the LE5-9 was the "weak link" in every other JBL three-way system it was used in as well.

Right! This wasn't my opinion, but one I'd read here more than once. (maybe I should not have used the term "consensus"). I've never had an issue with the L220's midrange performance. In fact, I really like it.

Yep, so what? The L250 and 250Ti are better than 4313B's too but that has no impact on my ability to enjoy them anyway.

Right again. I have a nice pair of 4313B's as well and I love them. I've always been intrigued by the L250 and 250Ti, but that's never had any real impact on my ability to enjoy my L220's. I would say, however, that the L250 (or 250Ti) would probably be the only systems I'd consider replacing my L220's with.

Pete