PDA

View Full Version : Altec model # needed 15" Woofer

jeenie67
12-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi, I've been surfing this forum for a while and just registered. I own a pair of Altec model 14's, mint, and a pair of 15's in the process of restoration (cabinet bottoms were damaged beyond repair by water flooding the former owners basement). I purchased these 15" woofers on eBay a while ago for $100 and can't pin down the model number to order parts. Thank you, Jeenie67

scott fitlin
12-10-2008, 09:14 AM
16in 421 series frame, smaller magnet structure than the 421, though, Im guessing its a 422-8Z, a driver Altec OEM,ed for others!

robertbartsch
12-10-2008, 09:35 AM
How do you know the water damaged woofers are not repairable?

jeenie67
12-10-2008, 12:53 PM
My post might have been a teensy bit ambiguous. All the components of my model 15's survived unscathed (the bottom of one cabinet sat in about 1" of water). I've since replaced the woofer surrounds and have been using them alternately in a spare cabinet as an extension speaker for my 1966 Columbia Automatic Record Player before I install them into new cabinets; they perform supremely. The horn drivers can be seen in the photo; they're anxiously awaiting a cabinet to live in too!

Earl K
12-10-2008, 03:11 PM
16in 421 series frame, smaller magnet structure than the 421, though, Im guessing its a 422-8Z, a driver Altec OEM,ed for others!

Good guess Scott !

- The "partial" number printed on the magnet ( 30840 ) is referenced within the Altec Library ( found in the 1975 Loudspeaker Systems and Drivers on page 8 (http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/reference/1975-drivers/page08.jpg) ). It's the official part number for the 422-8Z woofer found in the 1201B "Monitor Speaker" .

cheers

Earl K
12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I purchased these 15" woofers on eBay a while ago for $100 and can't pin down the model number to order parts. Thank you, Jeenie67

Hello ;

- It looks to my aged eyes that these could be reconed into 416-8A woofers ( 16" frame type ) .

- This would make them much more suitable for hifi use /rather than trying to rebuild them as 422-8Z speakers .

- Check with Bill H. at Great Plains Audio ( GPA ) to see if this conversion is doable .

- ps ; ( can someone please post the GPA phone number ? thanks ! )

<. Earl K

scott fitlin
12-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Hello ;

- It looks to my aged eyes that these could be reconed into 416-8A woofers ( 16" frame type ) .

- This would make them much more suitable for hifi use /rather than trying to rebuild them as 422-8Z speakers .

- Check with Bill H. at Great Plains Audio ( GPA ) to see if this conversion is doable .

- ps ; ( can someone please post the GPA phone number ? thanks ! )

<. Earl Kwww.greatplainsaudio.com (http://www.greatplainsaudio.com)

405-789-0221

jeenie67
12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
I wonder why I'm in college full time...hey I'm 54 years old; I can make an error....The frames are 16" and not 15" as stated in the original post. They also have 3" aluminum cones and fabric surrounds; look original. I think these might find their way into folded horn enclosures. Thanks everyone for the information. I did find a photo of an exact copy on a web site once I had something to go on...422-8z.

scott fitlin
12-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I wonder why I'm in college full time...hey I'm 54 years old; I can make an error....The frames are 16" and not 15" as stated in the original post. They also have 3" aluminum cones and fabric surrounds; look original. I think these might find their way into folded horn enclosures. Thanks everyone for the information. I did find a photo of an exact copy on a web site once I had something to go on...422-8z.They are/were primarily musical instrument woofers, the aluminum dustcaps were for extending the HF response, and their cones are designed to have certain breakup and are PRODUCERS of sound, NOT reproducers. The power rating is 150 watts, and in 1978, that was pretty high power, and they will work in a Voice of the theater type horn, or direct radiator, but, this woofer is best suited for a bass guitarist, and if your looking to sell them, eBay will be your best bet. Even I, who grew up on Altec 421-8LF woofers, cannot go back to the metal dustcap, and 150 watt power handling is just way too small for my needs these days!

If your trying to sell them, Ebay is the best place, always people on the prowl looking for these types of woofers, you can expect to fetch about $100 to $150 each, I'm guessing!