PDA

View Full Version : Coherent LE14A question

elwood127
12-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok, short and to the point. I would like to update my N110 xovers to better refleck my diy LE14A cabinets. Looking at the spec sheet for Lancer 55 circuitry shows no LF components. In and out. Why is this. On the N110 L1= 1.5mh, C3= 36uf and R1= 5 ohm. Can anyone suggest a change in these values for the LE14A.
Box= 36x18x14
Volume= 1.7 cf.

Once again I'd like to apologize for the incoherent ramblings of these previous posts. Tearing out ceramic tile all day rattles the brain.

speakerdave
12-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Yes, JBL played the woofers full range in a few of their speakers in the sixties and seventies, the most famous being the 4311. They may still do it in some of the SR speakers, I don't know--I don't follow them that closely. A woofer that has a clean roll off in the midrange can be used this way. This is probably one reason, though, that most examples of those models are not used today, even if you find them for cheap, but rather they are parted out on ebay, more likely than not.

Someone gave me a pair of L55's a while back. I use them to listen to NPR and baseball games in my garage.

Unless you find something objectionable in the sound, why not just use them that way?

It probably will not work to simply add a filter component to create a low pass portion of the network, since the system is balanced with the woofer playing up.

Based on your question, I would suggest you not get into trying to modify a speaker system but rather find one you like and buy it, or if you want to DIY, then replicate a system you like EXACTLY. At the moment, the prices on some of the classic JBL models have sagged a bit, and to my mind, it makes sense to look for a clean pair of a good speaker you like. For example, there's a nice pair of 4425's on ebay right now. I know nothing about that seller or those particular speakers, understand. I think the BIN is a little high, but not that much, really. Even this system is a little dated, but I think it would be far more useful than the ancient artifacts you mention.

David

elwood127
12-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave. I wish there was a place nearby to listen to all the different JBL's. Someone should setup a listening tour. Now that would make for a great vacation.

duaneage
12-09-2008, 11:44 PM
The venerable L100 is another speaker that has a simple crossover network, too simple in my opinion. There have been a few threads on building a better network,
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13105&highlight=L100+crossover+redesign

I didn't think the shunt capacitor on the tweeter was the greatest idea but overall the curves look OK. Keep in mind these modifications will almost certainly reduce the efficiency of the system. Most people prefer the louder of two speakers so if comparing modified to unmodified adjust the levels with white noise first.

i agree on moving on to newer systems, the drivers have come a long way since the L55 days, despite what the ebay market suggests better systems do exist. I would not put a lot of time or money into refining the L55.

elwood127
12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my question. My diy project was built with LE14A's, 2412H's and 104H-2's and a N110 network. I was just wondering if a change in the LF circuitry would optimize the LE14A. I found that one of the few uses of the driver was in the Lancer 55 which was straight through circuitry. I've noticed that in networks for 8, 10 and 12" woofers had incrementally higher values for L1. Thought that maybe the N110 would better suit the 14" with such a change in the LF setup. Could it be as simple as going up from 1.5mh to 2.0. I have no test equipment accept my ears. Just thought it would be fun to try. Any thoughts on this would help since some of you have great knowledge of different drivers and how they would perform with a small change in the network. Thanks.