PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to jbl parts

demon
12-08-2008, 04:01 AM
hello there!

its blasphemy, i know, and i feel bad asking this question, but i also think that it is necesarry to ask:
--are there any products for DIYpeople to buy wich are equal, better, or ripped off our beloved JBL chassis and parts and are easy to get?

the reason i ask is this, that in europe it got quite hard to go out and just shop jbl parts needed. only a few are available new, and actually i wouldnt even know where to order them (ok, i found some on thomann (ttp://www.thomann.de/at/jbl_2226h_tieftoener.htm) now) at all.
to wait endlessly for used parts is a possibility but i dont want to discuss this here.

so, please, if you know any, post concrete suggestions. and if possible, your experience with jbl-alternatives in general.

i have found this for example:
http://www.intertechnik.de//module/240,imp-1411348.jpg
on a german sellers website (http://www.intertechnik.de/index.html/JTI2bmF2aWQlM0QxNzY4JTI2bGFuZyUzRGRlJTI2c2lkJTNEbj Q5MzM4ODM1OTI4NzclMjZzaWQlM0RuNDkzMzg4MzU5Mjg3NyUy NmIlM0Q=.html?basis=3726&detail=52272&suchwort=) and it looks a lot like a 236o clone. could this be any good?

hope you got the idea of this thread.
thanks, and sorry again,
mikey

Slare
12-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't expect you'll get a very positive response to this post given the dedication of the people that frequent this board. But given the realities of $$$, I can appreciate the spirit of the post and chime in with a couple viable examples I've found in my own use.

Goldwood makes several JBL knock-off drivers of usable quality, one of which is based on the 026ti which was commonly used on the LX series loudspeakers in the early nineties. The reason I have experience with these drivers is mostly due to value, because LX speakers aren't very good and their resale value at least here in the states, shows it. I've purchased LX44/55/500 type speakers in good used condition for less than $80 a pair around here several times, and found the goldwood drivers to be a suitably priced service part. It's hard to justify spending $30-40 on a eBay for a geniune 026ti when the speakers themselves cost that or less. The Goldwood knock offs can be had for well under $10 each here, as low as $5 or so if you buy a enough to land free shipping deals.

I've also found the eBay variety 2412H replacement diaphragms to be very usable. The 2412H is a 1" ti compression driver used in many JBL pro loudspeakers, and it's fairly common (in a PA/pro environment with power/clipping/feedback abuse) for the tweeter to fail. Again, this is value driven. A geniune JBL tweeter assembly (no service diaphragm is offered) runs about $100 while ebay diaphragms can be had for ~$20. I've replaced a couple in PA cabs this way and have to admit I could not tell the difference A to B with a factory part, and from a durability standpoint they seem to hold up just as well.

My main concessions out of respect to the members/spirit here, is that I would never try to pass off systems with these parts as 100% authentic, and have only used them in systems that would otherwise be impractical (from a cost perspective) to service.

demon
12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
of course i dont expect a very warm thread either, but i think it could help some people out. as i said, its impossible to just go out and buy an original like a new pair of shoes (ok, depends on the shoes).
ugh...
its more like, "where to get decent quality like jbl in todays market" with suffix "if jbl is simply not available (and you tried)".
ugh...
"need it for a friend"

:biting:

jcrobso
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I try to use real JBL when ever possible.
Beyma Products from Spain are very good for instance, making horns is easier than making drivers.
If you need a horn of that size and can't get a JBL then give them a try. John

duaneage
12-08-2008, 01:46 PM
The way things are going there will soon not be a choice. The party faithful had better hope that somewhere out there another manufacturer is able to make replacement parts or a lot of JBL drivers are going to be paper weights and nothing more.

That being said, if they are for home use and not for resale I can't see why you would not use aftermarket parts. I would make sure both channels have the same part, just to be sure.

The aftermarket keeps the price of used parts down a bit, should the aftermarket go away the used parts will go up again in price until used up. At some point the parts will be very expensive, benefiting the few who still have them, and then the market will dry up as economics takes over and people find ways around the gouging that inevitably takes place.

Beyma, Selenium, P-audio and a few others make drivers that should suit your needs, I don't know if they are available where you live or what they cost.

robertbartsch
12-10-2008, 10:02 AM
In the U.S., you can buy new OEM JBL diaphragms for compression drivers directly from several vendors on the Web.

However, re-cone kits (cones, spiders, voice coils, surrounds) for many paper cone drivers, for example, are made available only to authorized JBL repair techs/dealers.

Some parts for some of the older drivers are no longer made by JBL so, as stated above, aftermarket kits are your only choice.

I would suggest that you seek an authorized dealer to seek repairs or parts for your older components.

I don't buy heritage drivers since I prefer newer JBL drivers which are better than the older stuff IMO and they can be serviced, if needed.

Tom Brennan
12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
I've used Radian brand aftermarket diaphragms in JBL compression drivers and IMO they sound VERY good.

Note that they're aluminum, a material some people think sounds better than titanium. Not me but I thought I'd throw that out there. ;)

Some report that in high stress pro use Radians are less reliable than JBL but I've never run into anyone who had relaibility problems with Radian diaphragms in hi-fi use.

On the other hand Radian isn't as cheap as it used to be; I don't know about JBL prices but for Altec drivers Radian prices are close enough to GPA prices that one might as well get the GPA diaphragms.