PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/250TI

Butch Adams
12-06-2008, 09:34 PM
250TI tweeter cutting in and out. Isolated problem to driver. Are there replacement diaphrams available?

BMWCCA
12-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Pardon my morbid curiosity but what type of amplification were you using when you blew your 044Ti?

I'm always curious after 53 years of listening to JBLs at loud volume and only smoking one 075, and that was forty years ago and it was replaced under warranty.

brutal
12-07-2008, 01:59 AM
044TI Diaphragms are NLA. Your best bet is to keep an eye out on fleabay.

brutal
12-07-2008, 02:05 AM
Pardon my morbid curiosity but what type of amplification were you using when you blew your 044Ti?

I'm always curious after 53 years of listening to JBLs at loud volume and only smoking one 075, and that was forty years ago and it was replaced under warranty.

While I've also never had any outright failures due to amplification, it's also possible that the foam plug turned to ooze and compromised the VC gap, or the VC lead wires failed due to mechanical reasons or metal fatigue.

Just because a driver is malfunctioning doesn't necessarily mean it was over-driven.

BMWCCA
12-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Just because a driver is malfunctioning doesn't necessarily mean it was over-driven.Point well-taken. I'll await the postmortem . . . and then we can jump to conclusions. :)

JBLRaiser
12-07-2008, 08:51 AM
250TI tweeter cutting in and out. Isolated problem to driver. Are there replacement diaphrams available?

Someone with soldering expertise could reattach them, if that is the case. Take some closeup pictures of the diaphragm and post them for analysis.:idea:

cosmos
12-07-2008, 08:57 AM

There are several versions of the 250Ti. Mine, the LE (Limited Edition), use a 035Ti-A. Earlier versions use a 044Ti, as they have expressed. The 035Ti(A) are immensely more available. You might want to check it.

What makes you say that you have isolated it to the tweeter? Does it show open resistance? It might simply be something mechanical as discussed above. Not sure about the 044Ti, but you can disassemble an 035Ti to clean the voice coil gap, also as mentioned above. I bought some L80T3 speakers needing re-foam for the tweeters as replacement as I had a dead 035Ti-A when I bought them.

BTW, it's a great speaker.

Butch Adams
12-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Amplification is via Citation 16, Isolation was performed by moving the driver to the other speaker and the problem followed.
Can someone provide de-construction details to see if there was a mechanical failure?
Many Thanks

BTW this speaker has made two trips to Freemam Tuel in Dallas without successful repair, Just lighter in the pocket now.