PDA

View Full Version : JBL J216A questions

wu6fiend
12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
I've got a line on a pair of J216A bookshelves, made from 1985-86. I tried doing some research online about them, but didn't find much. Does anyone have a pair, and if so, what do you think about them?

(I have a pair of 2600s, which are currently being used in the back as part of my 7.1 setup. I really like them, and am looking for something comparable)

wu6fiend
12-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Picked up the J216As. The specs are very similar to both the L20Ts and the JBL2600s (that I already own). Sound really nice. Here they are after being introduced to their much bigger sibling (L100T).:D

Doc Mark
12-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Morning, Wu6fiend,

Back when I used to work at Schaak Electronics, 1983-4, we used to sell the JBL "J" line of speakers. I have listened to the J216, predecessor to the 216A, quite a bit, and was not that impressed by them. They don't sound "bad", they just don't sound like what I consider "real" JBL's. The transducers are more cheaply made, and the enclosures are vinyl-wrapped.

I have never heard the 2600's, but did buy a small pair of 2500's at a swap meet, for $30, I think, and do not care for their sound, at least as they are currently configured. They are too hissy and spitty in their HF for me, and rather "compressed" sounding. I found that listening fatigue set in very quickly when using them, even at fairly soft volume. I have thought about going through their rather cheap crossover and upgrading them in hopes that they would turn into something at least useable in a small system someplace in our home, but haven't been motivated enough to actually do it.

In any case, if you like the 2600's, then you might also like the J216A's. Let your ear be your guide, as each of us has certainly likes and dislikes. Just because I didn't find the J216's to my liking, doesn't mean that you won't like them.

I also have a 1983 brochure of the JBL J216, J320, and J325 speakers, complete with limited specs. If you need that info, I can post it here. Looks like the J216A has an upgraded tweeter, but otherwise is very similar to the J216. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

wu6fiend
12-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi Doc,

I agree with you on the comment regarding the cheap vinyl used on the J216A. When compared to the L20T (still looking for a nice pair of those) and the JBL2600, the J216A is definitely bargain-store in appearance. Sound is quite good, to my ears. I plan to use them in my office for now, and when I get some L20Ts I might sell them. The price was reasonable, and I was curious about them, hence the purchase. Its not remotely fair to compare them to the members of the L-series (L60T, L80T, L100T) which I own, as those are all towers, and were quite expensive in their day. What did the J216A retail for?

I can't agree/disagree on your thoughts about the 2500, as I've never seen/heard them. I currently use the 2600s as the rears on my living room 7.1 set up. I've always really liked them (they were my speakers at university). I bought them when the line was phased out, and only paid half their retail price.

I'm curious: as a former salesman, what were your experiences selling JBL speakers? There must have been certain models/lines that simply flew out the door, while others must have been real "dogs". Any stories to share?

If you could post that brochure/specs, I would love to see them!