PDA

View Full Version : 2441 with 2450SL diaphragms

panos29
12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Just recently, I accidentaly bought a pair of 2441s with 2450SL (aquaplas coated) diaphragms installed from local JBL engineers. What I wanted was a pair of original 2441s with 2441 diaphragms but seller cheated on me.

Anyway, soundwise are these any similar to originals as far as responce and tolerability is concerned, or there is a major reason to change these with original aluminium ones?

My intented setup was to use these in a 2 way system with 250Hz tactrix crossed with the bass horn at 500Hz 12db/octave and maybe an 2405 on top (although I prefer not to use 2405 at all). The use is home hifi an not pro or anything else(my biggest amp is 15W).

hjames
12-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Have you given them a listen to see if you like the sound? TO me, that would be the determining point - rather than any words from gurus abroad ... how does it sound in YOUR system??

Just recently, I accidentally bought a pair of 2441s with 2450SL (aquaplas coated) diaphragms installed from local JBL engineers. What I wanted was a pair of original 2441s with 2441 diaphragms, but seller cheated on me.

Anyway, sound-wise, are these any similar to originals as far as response and tolerability is concerned, or there is a major reason to change these with original aluminum ones?

My intended setup was to use these in a 2 way system with 250Hz tactrix, crossed with the bass horn at 500Hz 12db/octave, and maybe a 2405 on top (although I prefer not to use 2405 at all). The use is home hi-fi and not pro or anything else (my biggest amp is 15W).

10 Watt Street
12-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Here is a discussion along those lines:
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23122

panos29
12-05-2008, 12:02 PM
I already red this thread but did not really arrive to a "verdict".
The problem is that I do not have the system yet as i am in the process of gathering the components and building the bass horn.
Thisfore I am asking for opinions before proceeding.
Thanks for quick answering.

speakerdave
12-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I see two separate issues. One is getting straight with the seller about the deal. Because in terms of dollar and sound value the SL diaphragms would be considered by many equal to or better than the Al, even if the seller misrepresented the diaphragms as original, the best you could expect as recompense is that he would be willing to reverse the deal. That would leave you looking for some drivers again. Whether it is worth it to you depends on how hard they are to find in your part of the world, etc. Buying used drivers is always hit or miss even if they "work" since they can need replacement diaphragms because of metal fatigue in the surrounds. In the long run it is often best to buy cores, if you can find them, and have them serviced by JBL. Basically, in my view, it is seldom realistic to expect used drivers to be ready to go. If you feel deceived, perhaps you can get the seller to give you some concession on the price.

The other issue is your preference between the two for sound. The lemonade here is that at some future point in time you can have the original type aluminum diaphragms installed, and you would then become the local expert on the differences between them. If it helps, I'm using the 2450SL diaphragms in my 2450's and I think they are good. But, I have not listened to the AL, so I cannot give you any kind of comparison.

If you have heard the Al sound and were looking specifically for that you are only part way there, and the cost will be more than you expected. But, you can certainly go ahead with your project in the time being.

David

panos29
12-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer David. You are very right in all of your thoughts and I agree.
I finally gave a listen to these drivers and I can comfortably say I am very satisfied by the sound they produce. I stacked these on top of my old bass horns with Tannoy HPD 15" and I was really blown away by the dynamics and the crystal clear responce.
My previous HF setup was altec 806-16 plus 811 horns crossed at 1200Hz, the 2441s (even without any horn loading) were vastly souperior in any respect, I can say that this is the best driver I have heard till now (compared to 802-8g, 806, tannoy HF, TAD2001, 288g). I am really happy and cannot wait till the 250Hz tactrix horns arrive to give them a run! At some time later I might decide to get a pair of AL diaphragms, but for now everything is alot better than I initially thought. This is an awesome driver indeed, I cannot understand why I was using small format drivers so many years, so much waisted time:banghead:!

Jakob
12-11-2008, 03:45 AM
I'm no expert on this but I THINK that the 2441 only came in 16 ohms and I think the 2450SL is 8 ohms (2451SL 16ohms). If I'm right this could cause problems when using an original JBL crossover made for the 2441.

Regards: Jakob

panos29
12-11-2008, 06:28 AM
You are very right Jakob, my typing mistake, the dias are 16ohm as they read 8,7ohm RDC.

scott fitlin
12-11-2008, 06:50 AM
2441 were avaialble as 8 ohm or 16 ohm units, H OR J designations.

Dr.db
10-02-2016, 02:26 PM
I know this thread is very old, but still interesting for me.

Has anyone heard both diaphragms; the Aluminum and the aquaplase coated Titanium :confused:
Which of these does sound more dynamic?
Which is more transparent?