PDA

View Full Version : 4412 vs. 4412A

thefragger
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm having a hell of a time looking for a direct comparison between the two models. What's really all that different? The tweeter was upgraded and the L-Pads were removed. From what I understand the new tweeters are more analytical and the removal of the controls means two more parts that don't need maintenance, and are more true to the 'straight wire with gain' philosophy.

But how do they sound in comparison to one another? :hmm:

Philip.

Doctor_Electron
12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I have 4412's but have not heard the "A"'s. But... I think the intention, besides saving the cost of the pads, is like that with the LSR 32's. That is, if you are actually using the 4412A's in a studio and know what you are doing, the room enviornment would be built as optimally as possible, and some room EQ would be judiciously applied. This should negate the need for controls in the monitor itself.
Also, if there was a big difference in the two models' sound characteristics, they might have been inclined to use a less similar name, such as (?) 4413 etc.
I will research this more & return to the thread if I have any luck finding something.
"docE"

BMWCCA
12-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I have the 4412A and haven't compared them to the 4412. But I do have a pair of L20Ts with the 035Ti tweeter and I think it's easier to listen to on the high end than the 4412A. The problem for me with the 4412A is that any "roughness" in the HF range seems to come right at me in the monitors, which I suppose is a good thing when you're actually using them to monitor a recording. I can easily tone it down since every one of my four systems have EQs in them. I don't consider the "accuracy" of the 052ti to be a problem though some might find it a curse, since there seems to be a good amount of HF "trash" in today's recordings.

The usual decision between the 4412 and the 4412A is made on the beauty of the wood veneer on the former versus the gray/black laminate of the latter. I don't much care since I've got so many of each anyway. But one might fit your listening room decor much better than the other. And, oh yeah, the industrial-looking boxes are generally much cheaper!

Philip here, too! At least that's what Mom calls me. ;)