PDA

View Full Version : 2441 diaphragm ID help request.

doucanoe
12-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi guys, I was fortunate enough to find a pair of 2441's locally for my horns and was wondering if anyone could ID the diaphragm by the photo.

I would/ could take more pics to help out but they are already up and running. I would hate to have to stop the music just for a photo shoot. ;)

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks, RC

grumpy
12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
FWIW... looks like a 16 ohm nominal diaphragm (red mark vs. green on terminal).
What I can't tell, is whether it's a JBL piece (-appears- so but :dont-know),
or if Al vs. Ti (i.e., 2445 dia)... hard to tell from photo (easy to tell when side by side).

wish I could help more.

subwoof
12-03-2008, 10:06 AM
D16R2441

the Ti's have a different shade / reflection. When you look at a few hundred, it's easy...

sub

doucanoe
12-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I appreciate any input Grumpy as I have no idea personally :D

Sure sound good to these ears!

RC

doucanoe
12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
D16R2441

the Ti's have a different shade / reflection. When you look at a few hundred, it's easy...

sub

So you believe them to be JBL Al's? That sure would be cool.

RC

grumpy
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I've much less experience. From the photo, I'd have guessed Ti :o:
...and was hoping for Al. :)

The photos in the links below are more obvious (nature of surface/specular markings),
and color of reflections (Ti tends to be a bit more gray, Al reflects colors a little more
accurately)... compare to the underside of a soda can.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-255&Category_Code=l_jbl_dias

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-256&Category_Code=l_jbl_dias

Mr. Widget
12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
D16R2441

the Ti's have a different shade / reflection. When you look at a few hundred, it's easy...I agree... except for the easy part.

With different lighting in different photos etc. it can be difficult to see the difference with only a photo. In person, the aluminum diaphragms are much brighter looking than the Ti diaphragms.

Congratulations on the find... now find a pair nice of 2397s for them. :D

Widget

spkrman57
12-03-2008, 12:42 PM
He has a pair of 350hz round tractix Edgarhorns to play with!;)

Ron sends...

doucanoe
12-03-2008, 03:10 PM
He has a pair of 350hz round tractix Edgarhorns to play with!;)

Ron sends...

I think my horn needs are covered for a spell :)

RC

Mr. Widget
12-04-2008, 12:41 AM
I think my horn needs are covered for a spell :)Those are also on my short list of the good horns. :)

If you have a chance to borrow a pair of 2397s, you should compare them... not as in, you'll be blown away and want to change, but rather that the differences are very interesting.

Widget

doucanoe
12-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Those are also on my short list of the good horns. :)

If you have a chance to borrow a pair of 2397s, you should compare them... not as in, you'll be blown away and want to change, but rather that the differences are very interesting.

Widget

Thanks for the tip! I'm always open to listening to everything I can as thats the only real way to experience what each bring to the table.

I have tried the 2380's and EV HP940 with my 2" drivers so far. Altec 811's/511's on 1" Altecs. The results have been pretty good but I sure am enjoying the 2441's on the Edgars.

My room is small so short horns are really the answer for me.

Now if I could ever find throat adaptors for my ALtec 804 multicells I could set those up with my A7's. That would really give my wife a heart attack :D

RC

subwoof
12-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Agreed on the 2397's sound. Very unique for playback ( and live ) and tolerant of small rooms.

You might want to search this site and read the thread that discusses the added lips that some have added and their impact on the crossover region.

I have 4 of these horns in the storage room that are awaiting final restoration and since they all need new "lips" I was thinking about a removable system of them.

But this requires the BIG shaper and it's been mothballed 6 years now..

sub

SMKSoundPro
12-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I have 4 of these horns in the storage room that are awaiting final restoration and since they all need new "lips" I was thinking about a removable system of them.

But this requires the BIG shaper and it's been mothballed 6 years now..
sub

Send those horns up here. I can put some BIG 'ol DragQueen lips of them for ya! You know, lips that look like the front lower edge of a good quality wall mounted urinal! We don't need no shaper, just a big bucket of BONDO!

You may not get them back, though!

(At least send me one so I can build some, please?)