PDA

View Full Version : 4320 Studio Monitors

John G
12-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a pair of the 4320 studio monitors that need the speakers re-coned, the horns sound fine. I bought these from a local studio in 1980. The last time I "blew the dust off" of them with the Mac 2105 the foam started to blow off the speakers :(.

I noticed there are some members in the DC metro area and was wondering if someone could recomend a place to get these re-coned.

I called my local authorized service center and the tech said he has not done one of these 15" speakers in many years, which is a cause for concern on my part. I was also told the kits were about $300 ea.

I have always enjoyed these speakers but $600 plus labor seems a little steep. Any alternatives?

Thanks in advance, John.

BMWCCA
12-02-2008, 01:38 PM
He must be talking about re-coning with new kits from JBL, if they're still available. You can also try simply replacing the surround edge, though that's not the JBL recommendation. But we all do it.

Is your 15" a 2215B with the original Lansalloy surround material? If so, I don't believe they're available any longer. Some here may be able to suggest a replacement cone kit, but if you want to do just the surrounds, you might want to contact Rick Cobb for the "correct" after-market parts: Rick Cobb ([email protected])

or check him out on Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/looneytune2001/

Or if you're not so inclined to DIY, several members of this list are real pros at this, some even JBL-authorized!! But that'll require some packing and shipping.

John G
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
The speakers are original, never been touched. I am not inclined to DIY this. The only thing I ever did was take the crossovers out to tighten the posts.

I am more inclined to have a pro do this. If it was a radio shack speaker I'd give it a go;).

I am ok with packing and shipping though.

hjames
12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I have a pair of 2215 speakers that I am not using - came out of a pair of 4320's I bought in Philly 2 years ago. One has a small place where I think their tech slipped with a screwdriver and patched it, the other is intact.
Foam surrounds are fine. I would sell them both for less than what you say one of your recone kits would cost. (Christmas is coming and I could use the money!)
You'd save on shipping - I am in Fairfax, 2 exits out on Rt 66 near George Mason Univ ...
If you are interested in talking further, send me a PM -

I have a pair of the 4320 studio monitors that need the speakers re-coned, the horns sound fine. I bought these from a local studio in 1980. The last time I "blew the dust off" of them with the Mac 2105 the foam started to blow off the speakers :(.

I was also told the kits were about $300 ea.

I have always enjoyed these speakers but $600 plus labor seems a little steep. Any alternatives?

Thanks in advance, John.

John G
12-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Thank you hjames. I am in the Gaithersburg area so you are close by.
I will keep that in mind. I'm not sure of what my options are yet.