PDA

View Full Version : Joined today to ask this

Esser
12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone, I recently found two Cabaret 4628Bs. I really dont know anything about this stuff but I researched them and found that old PDF file and now know they were designed for keyboards.

Are these speakers good? Would they do well with music play back? What kind of amp should i buy to power them?

Any other info would be great too.

Thanks

Josh

toddalin
12-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey everyone, I recently found two Cabaret 4628Bs. I really dont know anything about this stuff but I researched them and found that old PDF file and now know they were designed for keyboards.

Are these speakers good? Would they do well with music play back? What kind of amp should i buy to power them?

Any other info would be great too.

Thanks

Josh

Actually, I picked up three of these the other day and have tried using them for the stereo. The results were less than spectacular, but could show promise. The 2404 produces good highs and the E145 could do a nice job of the lows if the cabinet were retuned. (Alternatively a 2235 could be swapped in though the internal volume is a little small for this.) The port is too large and too shallow for use as a playback monitor but could easily be modified. At 4 cu ft, the cabinet is a little small, especially with space devoted to the 8".

I was thinking that if the port was modified, the crossover revised, and an HL91 with a 2420 added, it almost becomes a poor man's 4340 or L400.

Regis
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Having owned a pair, they aren't a bad sounding pair of speakers. They are only lacking in bass, though it's hard to believe with speakers that sized, these were originally built for keyboard use on the stage.

Todd is right, or another option is to go with a dedicated pair of subs, but you might want to take Todd's advice. A pair of 2235H's may be too big for the enclosure, but I'd wonder if you'd get better bass out of it, regardless of parameters.

As far as an amp, they take anything from 200 watts on up. They'll produce a lot of sound (tho' without a lot of bass) at very high volume levels. They take phone jacks in the back.

Hope this helps.

Esser
12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I have a pair of BagEnd subwoofers I could hook up to supplement the 4628's if need be.

John W
12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
These speakers sound a whole lot better biamped, or with a re-configured crossover. The main problem running them full range is the woofer is unbridled and causes interference and confusion in the midrange.
Try hooking them up using an active crossover at 800hz-900hz, it will make a huge improvement.

boputnam
12-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I have a pair of BagEnd subwoofers I could hook up to supplement the 4628's if need be.Make sure you have complimentary woofer phase.

BMWCCA
12-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Make sure you have complimentary woofer phase.They can come for at no charge, or be flattering each other. It won't make any difference in the sound. What he wants is complementary woofer phasing! ;)

Doctor_Electron
12-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Back when I was mixing live for rock or country bands, we (my partner & I) had as many Cabarets in our "monitor pool" as we could afford, which did include one pair of 4628's. They were usually used as wing monitors as needed.

IMO the best things about Cabarets were:

1). Very few complaints from onstage (must have worked VERY well!)

2). They were very easy to work with. It did not take long to get a good sound with, even in unfamiliar venues, and after that required little or no tweaking. I like to keep my paws off the board once I have a mix that's "working", so that was great for us.

Besides, big JBL monitors look great up on the stage. We were pros then, and needed such "images" to help us look like pros.

BTW they were very reliable when used properly, always a big plus also.

Esser
12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Well thanks for all your input. So if I were to trade in these 4628s...What direction should I head for playback? Keep in mind I am brand new to all of this

Regis
12-05-2008, 08:53 AM
I imagine you're asking about playing back music. Depends on your budget. If you're budget minded, the L-100T is a way underrated speaker and uses the powerful 2214H woofer (which will walk all over the 4628...). It goes up from there.

Quite a choice for 'bookshelf' monitors, 4310, 4311, 4312, L-110, L-112, 4313, etc.

Then you get to the midsize monitors, 4315 (I have a pair and they are bass-challenged, but are phenomenal to 40hz), 4425, XPL series, up to XPL-160.

Do the research for the bigger systems, XPL-200, 4430, L-300, L-150, etc. There are a slew of speakers in between. You'll generally need a clean amp producing 200 watts or so for most of these, including the bookshelves.

Stay away from the HLS, LX, Radiance and other JBL low-end consumer offerings, like the J series.