PDA

View Full Version : Grille mesh behind grille fabric. What to use?

jbl
12-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm using a metal mesh behind the grille fabric of my 4507 cabinet grills. Would a mesh material such as that used in the L200 be a better choice? The metal doesn't vibrate. I've been using it for the past 19 years with no bad effects, but I would like to change it.
My concern is that if someone hits the grille, the metal would damage the woofer.

boputnam
12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
My concern is that if someone hits the grille, the metal would damage the woofer.Where are these being used? :blink:

Johnaec had some pretty fancy metal grills on his New Stage Monitors Finished thread. Although they were OEM parts from JBL...

Yep it's a standard JRX grille.

Anyone know a source for this type of material?

jbl
12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Where are these being used? :blink:
Home use. At times kids run around the house. That's why I installed the metal mesh. Just in case.:D

I would rather use the type of mesh JBL used behind the foam. Something like the L100 & L200.
Either type isn't much protection against a kid running into it, but it's something.

Any ideas?

hjames
12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Home use. At times kids run around the house. That's why I installed the metal mesh. Just in case.:D

I would rather use the type of mesh JBL used behind the foam. Something like the L100 & L200.
Either type isn't much protection against a kid running into it, but it's something.

Any ideas?

How about some of these Bar grill protectors ... I got one from Fred Sanford
to protect the 15 in my B380 sub, can't find a pic x of mine but here's a picture
from one of Zilch's threads showing them off ...
I think they'd save your woofs from even a kid running full tilt into them!

Check Guitar Center or one of those kinda places ...

jbl
12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
How about some of these Bar grill protectors ... I got one from Fred Sanford
to protect the 15 in my B380 sub, can't find a pic x of mine but here's a picture
from one of Zilch's threads showing them off ...
I think they'd save your woofs from even a kid running full tilt into them!

Check Guitar Center or one of those kinda places ...
I have them. They push out the grill fabric. Looks bad.
It was a pain to drill into the 4507 cabinet. I plugged the holes with wood filler, the painted over the fill.

jbl
12-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Heather,
Putting those grill protectors back may not be so bad an idea. I'll measure the protrusion they produce and adjust the grill to eliminate any buldge.

hjames
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Heather,
Putting those grill protectors back on may not be so bad an idea. I'll measure the protrusion they produce and adjust the grill to eliminate any bulge.

Upstairs I have a pair of L200s with what amounts to windowscreen behind the grill - that would barely stop a kitten, certainy not a larger kiddo at full roar ...!

Get serious grillguards!
If you think about the cost of replacement for your woofers, plus the fact that they are just getting rarer ... !
Also, with kids, maybe the budget wouldn't allow them to be replaced in kind! (the woofers, not the kiddos!)