PDA

View Full Version : Widget's 4355 clone...

boputnam
05-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Nice!

Robh3606
05-02-2004, 03:35 PM
OK

Who's Who??

I'm gonna guess thats Ian on the right and Widget in white???

It looks great!!

Rob:)

Hofmannhp
05-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
Nice!

a nice and surely fine sounding speaker.....also the glass of shiraz from napa valley.....but who are the persons (widget in the middle)?

HP

Hofmannhp
05-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Robh3606
OK

Who's Who??

I'm gonna guess thats Ian on the right and Widget in white???

It looks great!!

Rob:)

same idea rob....now our friends become a face:)

HP

boputnam
05-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Hofmannhp
...now our friends become a face:) :yes:

Well, we were going to start a Forumite Mugshot Thead, but offer this, humbly...

Ken Pachalphabet is threatening to join next weekend - Ian will hopefully find his way off the hill from Pass Labs :shock: - as is johnaec, who was busy moving. Anybody else...? Little Wheels Band, May 8th, La Honda...

:band:

Chas
05-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Hmm....Widget, didn't I see you on stage at a Dead concert?:band:
Speakers looks great, when are you roadies coming to Toronto..?

Tom Loizeaux
05-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Come on guys, tell us who is who in the photo! It's a chance to put faces to at least 3 Forum members.

Tom

Mr. Widget
05-02-2004, 06:35 PM
The guesses are correct.:)

Left to right it would be Bo, myself, and Ian. I guess my wife is right, she has been threatening to get after me with a Flowbee!

I was hoping to finish the beasties before I posted a photo of them, but you can't stop a partially liquored up Bo.:D

Widget

scott fitlin
05-02-2004, 06:49 PM
That really does look exceptional. And that wood horn, man I love it.

This forum has really become quite an astute place of vintage JBL lore.

Now about the three fellas in the picture, ya know you all got " Audio Geek " written all over your faces, dont ya? But dont worry, Im not passing judgement, I get that faraway, glazed look in my eyes when thinking and dealing with audio too!

Great looking speaker.

:cool:

boputnam
05-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
... you all got " Audio Geek " written all over your faces :rotfl:

Tom Loizeaux
05-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Thanks for letting us know who's who! Maybe this will pressure the rest of us to post photos of our obsessions with ourselves included.
Your speakers look great! I can imagine the thump of those and the precise top end when pumping out a good source!

I wonder sometimes what the guys at JBL think when they see all this effort to re-create or restore JBL classics. It must be flattering, yet it must raise the question that maybe JBL ought to be doing this.
Anyway, the completion of a great project. Congratulations!

Tom

johnaec
05-03-2004, 07:26 AM
It looks like you guys had a great time. Those speakers are going to be something else one they have the woodgrain finish! 'You providing some blue, Bo?

John

boputnam
05-03-2004, 07:34 AM
:yes: , and one of the recent QA/QC batch!

Widget is seeking a different paint type, but until then, he's welcome to this.

dieterj
05-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Nice!
Hello Mr Widget,

Wow, gratulation for this Work!!
I think the Sound is also very great.
I've never listen to an old 43xx Serie.

:cool: Dieter

boputnam
05-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Confirmed sighting, Pass Labs.

Not bad, for a damned Aussie driving on the wrong-side of the road...

:scoot:

Hofmannhp
05-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Confirmed sighting, Pass Labs.

Not bad, for a damned Aussie driving on the wrong-side of the road...

:scoot:

Bo....whats up there ...(Pass Labs)??...I only know there Grass Valley

HP

boputnam
05-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Yup! You are correct, HP...

http://www.passlabs.com/

A beautiful spot, if I can wax on as a one-time resident of Higgin's Corner... :thmbsup:

Hofmannhp
05-03-2004, 03:36 PM
http://www.passlabs.com/

thanks Bo............very great stuff.....realy......(if a power plant is near the home)
Maybe made from "ex-Grass Valley" workers (Grass Valley, the video division of Tektronix Group)
HP

Hofmannhp
05-04-2004, 08:40 AM

A beautiful spot, if I can wax on as a one-time resident of Higgin's Corner... :thmbsup:

Bo...when I saw the map in your thread (some before) I remembered a lot of nice moments in this region...i.e. South Lake Tahoe, Napa, Monterey, Carmel, SF.........the time will come:yes:
HP

boputnam
05-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Cool!

And, if Ian can stay on the right side of the road, he'll see quite a bit, too! :rotfl:

Ian Mackenzie
05-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi eveyone,

I am having a vacation in the USA and where time and logistics permit, spending some prime time with our members..and their wifes....(and in joke..Rob will get it).

No complaints so far, in fact it keeps getting better and better...LOL

Those new 4355s of the Widget are so sweet, I have never heard depth and imaging rendered like that.

Also done some listening to Bo's 4345's, they are a real show stopper and get the thumbs up for an unbiased 10/10. Bo's efforts to carefully EQ his listening position have really inspired me to started hunting down a stereo 1/3 octave EQ.

We did some critical A/B's with the electronic crossover (JBL 5234) in Bo's system against another brand. The concensus is they are great for their vintage but the time may have come for some newer technology. More on that later.

I also caught up with the folks at Passlabs, pure power and glory. They are a really great bunch of people. Passlabs a probably one of the few true hi end amp manufacturers left in the USA now Levinson has folded and Krell bugged out. I also heard the mighty Rushmore, the system is flat to 20 hertz @ 120 db 1 meter with transparancy and grace.

regards

Ian

:cool:

Wardsweb
05-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Nice job there and even better knowing it will only be improved on. Also, helps to have the right tools.

4313B
05-06-2004, 07:27 AM
"We did some critical A/B's with the electronic crossover (JBL 5234) in Bo's system against another brand. The concensus is they are great for their vintage but the time may have come for some newer technology. More on that later."

Actually all of it could be considered great for it's respective vintage... do I need to elaborate?

Anyway, nice system Mr. Widget! I've been told they sound great! :yes:

boputnam
05-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
Actually all of it could be considered great for it's respective vintage... do I need to elaborate? Group Hug!! Everybody grab their L1:D:D's...

:rotfl:

JuniorJBL
05-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Group Hug!! Everybody grab their L1:D:D's...

:rotfl:

Can I hug my 4301's since I do not have L100's?:yes:
Shane

4313B
05-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by JuniorJBL
Shane Awww, how cute! You not only can, but should! :p

Robh3606
05-06-2004, 09:04 AM
I am at work can I just hug the monitor???

I'll shut the door first

Rob:D

4313B
05-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Robh3606
I am at work can I just hug the monitor???

Rob:D You could go to the library and search for a photo of a system of your choice and then hug the monitor once it is up on a webpage. :)

P.S. You might want to refrain from letting any bosses or co-workers witness the event...

Mr. Widget
05-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the compliments.:)

Those beasts are quite a project. I will post drawings and details when they are finished. For a sense of the enormity of the project, they each have about two cubic feet of crossbracing and they used 50 sq feet of fiberglass insulation per cabinet.

I put off starting the project for over a year as I knew it would be a slog:D , but now that I've started the project I need to keep the momentum up so that I finish them before the next millennium. I plan on going full JBL 43XX with JBL Blue, walnut, and grille cloth. Might have to go with black cloth if I don't come up with a Blue solution.

Widget

I won't even attempt to hug them.:rotfl:

boputnam
05-11-2004, 03:19 PM
I missed the phone report last evening, but have it on good authority that Ian mastered Las Vegas, and dangled his chicken-legs over the lip of the Grand Canyon. It's "all good..."

His travels take him next to the Colorado Front Range, and a sampling of John Nebels "Black & Blue"... :yes:

boputnam
05-11-2004, 03:25 PM
:coolness:

Hofmannhp
05-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by JuniorJBL
Shane

Help.....can anybody tell me how to hug the 4435?

(oral...through the ports....or ???)

HP