PDA

View Full Version : BMS to Altec 1" swap..

stuck.wilson
11-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Anybody interested in swapping out some well maintained BMS 4552nd 8 ohm drivers for equivalent 8 ohm 802's or other 1" throat drivers? My BMS have never seen more than 15 watts in 2 years of using them!

I like the BMS.. but honestly, I'd prefer LESS extension because i'm really looking for a more 'vintage' feel.. and i'm not entirely certain the extended HF's are what i'm looking for! to boot.. they're SO efficient that i'm pretty much on max attenuation with an Lpad with a pretty tight range of adjustment!

Anybody have a recommendation for a 'thicker' sounding Altec driver that might fit the bill with a heavier presentation for a 1-1.2k crossover with a 414 in a 614 utility cab?

Thanks all!

Tom Brennan
11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Try the Altec or GPA 902, same thing. Very good sounding drivers IMO. I'm using GPA 902s with pairs of 414s in Heath AS-21s. Smooth sound, first rate clarity.

Those JBL 2425s sound pretty good, I'm listening to them again after a long break from JBLs and I'm quite pleased. Smooth and excellent clarity, allow one to hear "deep" into the music.

stuck.wilson
11-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Try the Altec or GPA 902, same thing. Very good sounding drivers IMO. I'm using GPA 902s with pairs of 414s in Heath AS-21s. Smooth sound, first rate clarity.

Those JBL 2425s sound pretty good, I'm listening to them again after a long break from JBLs and I'm quite pleased. Smooth and excellent clarity, allow one to hear "deep" into the music.

thanks tom! i haven't been around much-- but a recent move of the system to a different room with VERY different characteristics (a very odd sitch, indeed..), and in the new room, MAN do i realize how much top end there is. it's pretty smooth, but i just threw in some old KLH 32's on a little solid state rig, and the weightiness of those little buggers is awesome! not nearly the clarity.. but the tonal balance is loverly! then i went downstairs to the big rig and it was pretty overwhelming! they're beautiful, but i'm finding i favor the rolled off top end...

i'll have a look into the 902's though-- thanks muchly!

miker
12-03-2008, 05:20 AM
I'm interested in a trade for 902's.

PM sent.