PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

speakerbob
11-26-2008, 10:57 PM
I have had the possesion of two LX4-2 since 1966. First I need to know if they were good speakers. Thy are still in excellent condition and would like to use them in a surround sound setting. I am in the process of buying a new hdtv and also need to know a good amp to buy to drive these speakers. All hep is appreciated...Thanks:banghead:

4313B
11-27-2008, 05:58 AM
You mean Lancer 66's or Lancer 77's?

speakerbob
11-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Lancer 77's

Mr. Widget
11-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Lancer 77'sThe LE10 woofers will have a Lans-a-loy surround that has become quite stiff. This occurs with age. If you still have your original sales receipt, you might be able to get JBL to fix them under warranty. JBL would normally recommend a complete recone for these if the kits are still available. If you do not have the receipt or the kits are not available, the surrounds will need to be replaced with new foam surrounds for the bass to be correct. This can be performed by a JBL authorized repair facility.

These are nice speakers in modest sized cabinets, once the woofers are repaired they should provide you with performance that would be fine for a basic surround system. If you want to go up the food chain, you could use these as surrounds and purchase something a bit newer and better for your mains.

As for amps, I assume you mean a surround receiver. They are all pretty much the same, comparing Denon, Onkyo, HK, Marantz or Yamaha at any given price point. I would get one with pre outs if that is in your budget so that you could upgrade the amplifiers later if you choose.

Widget

speakerbob
11-27-2008, 07:59 PM
When I bought these Lancer 77's I also purchased a Fisher 500 amp. I was under the impression that I needed some power to drive these speakers. The Fisher and the lancers where a good combination I thought. I am very novice about all these subjects, but would like to get as much info on the operation of these Lancers as possible. I have since departed with the Fisher 500 and have been told that was a big mistake.
I have an idea that Bose is a bad word spoken here but please fill me in on your opinions before I make a mistake. I need some understanding of the Boze speaker system vs others. Thanks

Speakerbob

Mr. Widget
11-28-2008, 12:40 AM
When I bought these Lancer 77's I also purchased a Fisher 500 amp. I was under the impression that I needed some power to drive these speakers.That Fisher was a very good amp... if in perfect operating condition, I'd submit that it is superior to any current surround receiver at any price... but only in stereo... that said, the Fisher was only a 35wpc amp... anything but the lowest priced junk will have more power than that... they won't sound quite as good playing a stereo CD, but it sounds like you are really more interested in surround sound for a TV anyway.

I have an idea that Bose is a bad word spoken here but please fill me in on your opinions before I make a mistake. I need some understanding of the Boze speaker system vs others.The problem with Bose surround systems is that they offer these tiny midrange speakers with a one note subwoofer... the sub is really more like a weak woofer as there is no deep bass output... the system will not reproduce really articulate or balanced sound since they lack highs and the tiny midrange speakers can't output sound low enough to properly mate with the "sub"... they will not give you a real home theater experience or play back music as well as other systems that cost less...

If you want the simplicity of Bose with tiny speakers I'd recommend the new Sony Bravia BDV-IT1000 system. It has a built in Blu-ray player, speakers that are smaller than Bose and due to their creative design with a mid driver built into the sub and DSP technology the system is respectable for a TV surround system... it is significantly better than the systems that Bose offers and includes the receiver, blu-ray player, wireless rear channels and all the speakers for only $1000.

Personally I'd use your old JBLs... they may not be state of the art, but they will blow away anything from Bose and most everything else at the lower price points.

Widget

speakerbob
11-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Widget
If I purchase the Sony system can I replace the front ( left-right) with the JBL"s or should I replace the back. Will the sony in question drive the JBL's. Again I thank you .....

Speakerbob

Mr. Widget
11-29-2008, 12:19 AM
If I purchase the Sony system can I replace the front ( left-right) with the JBL"s or should I replace the back. Will the sony in question drive the JBL's.Bad idea... it is an all-in-one engineered system.

You either go with a system like that as it is or you buy an AVR and create your own system.

Widget