PDA

View Full Version : Altec speaker explanation wanted!

kryan5732
11-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Ok, I'm the guy that posted for the Altec 16 ohm 417 21425's. I found a pair! Now, I'm a musician and I know what sounds good to me, but could any of you buffs out there explain in a simplified manner why Altec's seem to be the choice of many audiophoiles as well as musicians? I've had many, many amplifiers but never one with Altec's. What is the magic? Thanks, Kev

00Robin
11-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Have you listened or played through them yet? Warm, buttery, deep true bass without distortion. Perfect highs of clarity instead of brash annoyance. They have a lovely, sensual sound.

johnaec
11-24-2008, 06:49 AM
One possible take I've thought about is that Altec LF drivers only use 3" voice coils, while most JBL 15" drivers use 4" voice coils. The same holds true for music instrument speakers - Altec only used 3" voice coils while most JBLs are 4", even on their 12" drivers.

Due to this, at higher volumes, I believe JBL's have more control, while the smaller 3" voice coils Altec uses allow for a smooth introduction of mostly even harmonic distortion, which many listeners find more pleasing than the more clinically accurate sound delivered by the more controlling 4" voice coils JBL uses, which while resulting in more accurate reproduction, may be cleaner than many listeners prefer.

Of course, you could be hearing something completely different - I'm basing the above assumptions mainly on experience with their music instruments speakers, (like 421A, etc., compared to E140), and don't really have any experience with Altec home/studio speakers.

'Just my opinion...

John

kryan5732
11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks. No, I do not have them yet. I found them on craigslist and the guy promised them to someone else who promptly put them on eBay - but I bought the two best ones there and am putting them in the Rickenbacker Transonic amp when I get them. Based on the two replies I can't wait!

robertbartsch
11-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Altecs have a very high efficiency rating meaning sonic transiets can be reproduced with moderate sized amplifiers.

jcrobso
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
One possible take I've thought about is that Altec LF drivers only use 3" voice coils, while most JBL 15" drivers use 4" voice coils. The same holds true for music instrument speakers - Altec only used 3" voice coils while most JBLs are 4", even on their 12" drivers.

Due to this, at higher volumes, I believe JBL's have more control, while the smaller 3" voice coils Altec uses allow for a smooth introduction of mostly even harmonic distortion, which many listeners find more pleasing than the more clinically accurate sound delivered by the more controlling 4" voice coils JBL uses, which while resulting in more accurate reproduction, may be cleaner than many listeners prefer.

Of course, you could be hearing something completely different - I'm basing the above assumptions mainly on experience with their music instruments speakers, (like 421A, etc., compared to E140), and don't really have any experience with Altec home/studio speakers.

'Just my opinion...

John
A lot depends on the sound you want! The 1960's Vox amps speakers had an asymmetrical magnet field, this caused them to have even order harmonics. The Beatles liked this sound. But they didn't a Vox amp loaded with JBL D120Fs because they were to clean sounding. The distortion of the speakers was part of the sound they were looking for. John

kryan5732
11-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I understand completely. I have a Vox amp, a tube Super Reverb, and it has an amazing distorted sound - total Beatles. I cannot wait to get these speakers and am totally glad I found this forum.