PDA

View Full Version : L-96 Help and Info

Roundsound
11-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Hello All,
I just got a pair of L-96s that although need a little help seem to be in great shape. I'll know that I need a refoam on the woofers and at least one new grill and probably to have the both grills re-clothed. I was curious as to others experience with these "little" wonders. They look to be on par with the L-112s that I'm borrowing from a friend. I guess my questions are:

1. Does anyone know where I can find a product spec sheet on these? I'm kind of curious how they "perform".

2. Are there any modifications that people would recommend? I'm sort of a tinkerer and like to get in there and make adjustments (if needed). Are there parts to change out on the crossovers, and would new internal wire be worth the effort?

3. Is there anyone out there that uses an active crossover with the bookshelves to cross in a sub? I think this will be more long term, but some info would always help.

Thanks much for all the help I've gotten form Audioheritage I really love the JBL sound and am glad I've found others who are well versed in the products.

Best,
Roundsound

4313B
11-23-2008, 07:35 AM
1. Does anyone know where I can find a product spec sheet on these? I'm kind of curious how they "perform".

L96 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10619)

2. Are there any modifications that people would recommend? I'm sort of a tinkerer and like to get in there and make adjustments (if needed). Are there parts to change out on the crossovers, and would new internal wire be worth the effort?

charge coupled 3113B networks

3. Is there anyone out there that uses an active crossover with the bookshelves to cross in a sub? I think this will be more long term, but some info would always help.

I used them with several different sub systems over the years. The easiest is probably the B380/BX63A combo. Citation 7.4's also worked really well. If you like to tinker you can build your own BX63A as well as the B380's or Citation 7.4's.

johnaec
11-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Since you mentioned in an earlier message that you're "new" to JBL, be aware of a common mistake often made to cut corners when replacing the surround foam on most JBL LF drivers. That is, many people will incorrectly glue the new surrounds to the outside of the cone instead of the inside, which is how they come originally. It's much easier, but the cone will generally no longer be centered correctly in the magnetic gap. Obviously, a complete recone would be best and bring them back to new specs, assuming the recone kits are still available. You'd have to determine if the extra expense is worthwhile...

If you can't find someone local to do this correctly, I'd recommend getting in touch with member "Edgewound" here - he runs a JBL service center. It'd mean shipping the LF drivers to CA and back, but would be worth it to get them done right, whether just the surrounds or complete recone.

Likewise - if you decide to sometime replace the LE5-? midrange drivers because of the dimples, look for the correct version of the LE-5. There are more than a half-dozen, and they do not all sound the same.

'Just some advice to add years of enjoyment. The L-96 is a great speaker - I wish I'd hung on to a set I once had...

John

Doc Mark
11-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey, RS,

I agree with John's advice concerning our LH member, Edgewound. He does outstanding work, and I am extremely happy with the two 128H woofers he refoamed for me, and the 2242H on which he replaced the dust cap! They were returned to me looking like brand new!! I am sure that you will be very happy with his work, as it's more than worth what he charges for it!! You'll be hard-pressed to find a better JBL Service center than his! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc