PDA

View Full Version : JBL "Performance Series" question

wu6fiend
11-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi,

I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, and am curious about the JBL "Performance Series" of loudspeakers. I'd really like to see & listen to a set in person. However, JBL retailers around here are almost nonexistent.

Does anyone living in the Northwest U.S.A. know of a JBL retailer with a decent selection of their current lineup?

I sent an email to JBL some time ago asking this very question, but got no response.

Why is it so hard to buy JBL product!?:banghead:

rdgrimes
11-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi,

I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, and am curious about the JBL "Performance Series" of loudspeakers. I'd really like to see & listen to a set in person. However, JBL retailers around here are almost nonexistent.

Does anyone living in the Northwest U.S.A. know of a JBL retailer with a decent selection of their current lineup?

I sent an email to JBL some time ago asking this very question, but got no response.

Why is it so hard to buy JBL product!?:banghead:
There's a rather large PS thread in here.

They are discontinued, but if you were able to find some it would be at a Synthesis dealer. Tweeter used to sell them and some stores may still have odd units laying around.

Or, you can take it from the handful of owners that they are prolly the best tweeter-based system ever made. They have a lot in common with a couple of the Revel models, and also share technology with the TiK series and a couple of the current Synthesis Four series.

Bottom line is that you can't hear them unless you find someone who owns them. The IW and IC line in the PS series is not part of this discussion.

wu6fiend
11-19-2008, 09:35 PM
I read the PS thread. That's what made me interested in them.

I wasn't aware they are discontinued, as they appear prominently on the current JBL website. Why would they show discontinued product? The site says "2008" on it.

I've never heard of a Synthesis dealer, are you aware of any in the Pacific Northwest? I would be prepared to drive to Washington State or Oregon to see the Performance Series in person.

Around here, the only JBL you can find is the bottom end stuff at Best Buy, or car stereo speakers at the odd place.

rdgrimes
11-19-2008, 10:36 PM
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/where_to_buy/purchase_installation.aspx?Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

jblsound
11-20-2008, 06:42 AM
The PS has been around since '01~'02, so that's about 7 years. And most JBL consumer series only last that long, others like the Venue series, much shorter.

And as the new LS series is coming out next year, at about the same price range, the PS is being dropped, much like the Venue series was dropped for the new ES series.

But there is still plenty of PS stock, that's why they still show up under "special" on www.harmanaudio.com (http://www.harmanaudio.com)
They're listed as refurbs, but are really just over stock.

The reason you've never heard of Synthesis dealers is they are only in the US. Everywhere else JBLs are sold through normal B&M audio stores, and online.
But it would seem, by your comment, that JBLs are just as hard to find in Canada as they are here, anymore. Like you mentioned, BB only sells the bottom end series. In fact BB has dropped JBL, here in the US, in favor of selling more Polk.

Its the BB thing that has made the JBL brand, of late, to be looked down upon, by most of the under 40 audio consumer public, as the only JBLs they have ever seen is the ones in BB.

Mr. Widget
11-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I read the PS thread. That's what made me interested in them.

I wasn't aware they are discontinued, as they appear prominently on the current JBL website. Why would they show discontinued product? The site says "2008" on it.I am not 100% sure, but I believe they still have a warehouse full of them that they would like to sell... They haven't built any new ones in quite a while.

But there is still plenty of PS stock, that's why they still show up under "special" on www.harmanaudio.com (http://www.harmanaudio.com)
They're listed as refurbs, but are really just over stock.:yes:

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/where_to_buy/purchase_installation.aspx?Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USAIf you click on that map, you get a list of regional reps... they can hook you up with a local dealer. Will any have the PS Series? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Widget

4313B
11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I've noticed that the PS1400 is available via employee purchase but not via the public links. :dont-know I guess they are saving them for employees. :dont-know Maybe they are going to sell them via Harman Audio on eBay. :dont-know Or maybe they really don't know what to do with them. :dont-know Maybe they don't even know that they have them. :dont-know

hjames
11-20-2008, 09:50 AM
I've noticed that the PS1400 is available via employee purchase but not via the public links. :dont-know I guess they are saving them for employees. :dont-know Maybe they are going to sell them via Harman Audio on eBay. :dont-know Or maybe they really don't know what to do with them. :dont-know Maybe they don't even know that they have them. :dont-know

I hope no one will destroy them like those DX-1 units? :(

4313B
11-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I hope no one will destroy them like those DX-1 units? :(That was totally retarded. We could all have used one or two of those. And we would have been damn greatful to have them.

I would not at all be surprised if they did. Evidently there comes a point where it just isn't worth the bother to store it all.

grumpy
11-20-2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/default.asp?sp=S&brand=JBL&market=HOM

(scroll to the bottom)

$1119 in black or cherry.

Array 1500's too (for a wee bit more)

4313B
11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Interesting! They were not there last week when I checked for someone else.

jblsound
11-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Interesting! They were not there last week when I checked for someone else.
That site is in a constant state of flux, forever changing.
Its like the Infintiy Preludes, sometimes they have both the towers and subs, but recently, only the subs.
Sometimes they have the TiK models, sometimes not.

But if JBL has a warehouse full of PS, its only because most audio consumers never knew they existed. And if anyone did see them on harmanadio, they couldn't audition them w/o buying them first.

Titanium Dome
11-20-2008, 06:02 PM
I'd love to see them on ebay. Especially certain models which I shall not mention. I don't need any more PT800s, that's for sure.

jblsound
11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
I'd love to see them on ebay. Especially certain models which I shall not mention. I don't need any more PT800s, that's for sure.

What? You only have 14, need more? Maybe I'll sell you mine.:)

rdgrimes
11-20-2008, 09:06 PM
We are over-due for some.

johnaec
11-21-2008, 05:40 AM
They're listed as refurbs, but are really just over stock.
I think the same thing relates to the L8400P 12" subs. List is $1099, HarmanAudio has "refurbs" at $699, and going price for these same "refurbs" from Harman's outlet on eBay average $350 plus reasonable shipping, with full factory accessories, boxing, and full warranty.

As many as I've seen sold through eBay, I find it hard to believe these are actually refurbs rather than overstock. At that price, I picked up a couple to go with my PT800's, and there's no way I could be convinced they were anything other than new.

Now, if I could just get a couple PS1400's in the same range... 'Anyone wanna' trade-in? ;) The PS1400's only have a 400 watt amp vs. the 600 watts in the L8400P.

John

4313B
11-21-2008, 05:51 AM
After reading about some of these guys and their DIY horror stories they'd do well to pack it all in and pick up some of these puppies. Nothing they can hack together with their tragic old boxes and ancient drivers will even come close.

jblsound
11-21-2008, 07:21 AM
After reading about some of these guys and their DIY horror stories they'd do well to pack it all in and pick up some of these puppies. Nothing they can hack together with their tragic old boxes and ancient drivers will even come close.

That would certainly be true. Unless, of coarse, one had a pair of new 066, professionally restored 2105, 112A, C-C network and mirror imaged boxes.:)

Comparing that speaker system to a pair of PT800s, well, I wouldn't want to live off the difference.

4313B
11-21-2008, 07:38 AM
You're not hacking up stuff and trying to piece stuff that doesn't belong together together though. ;)

Everything you've done is completely legitimate, and you know what you're doing which is a real plus. :p

jblsound
11-21-2008, 08:08 AM
You're not hacking up stuff and trying to piece stuff that doesn't belong together together though. ;)

Everything you've done is completely legitimate, and you know what you're doing which is a real plus. :p
Well, I knew what I was doing, as far as building boxes. But mostly, I also had a lot of help from you, providing the XO schematics, steering me toward building those mirror imaged boxes and C-C XO. Which, once again, thank you!

The result was/is so good, I'd have a hard time believing bi-amping and using active XOs would be any better.
It also helped I managed to find a completely new pair of 066 tweeters 5 years ago. Might have been the last of those.

And having both that pair of L212 and a pair of PT800 mounted to the tops of the SUB1500s, with a ball bearings between the sub boxes and top caps so I just rotate to which pair I want to listen to, makes it real easy to compare those units. The mid-bass of the L212 is a bit heavier and the PT800 is a bit more open thoughout it entire range. But as you very well know, both are very good for music and HT.

As a side note, would you recommend these tweeters to use, if/when, the 066s need replacing? From OCS JBL 052Ti

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii4/hifiguy268/jbl-052ti-twtr-500.jpg

4313B
11-21-2008, 08:10 AM
It would require a complete rework of the filter to make those work.

jblsound
11-21-2008, 08:43 AM
It would require a complete rework of the filter to make those work.
I kind of figured that, but OCS shows those as replacements for JBL 066, JBL 033, JBL 035TI, JBL 035TIA, JBL 035TI-A, TDT1000, TD1000, TD-1000, and TD 1000.

Of coarse they say nothing of having to rework the filter. But they would fit perfectly into the 066 holes with an 1/8" Diameter to spare, and the flange would cover that 1/16" gap from the outside.

4313B
11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Since joining this website (and briefly scanning over some of the other tragic audio sites too) I've noticed that alot of people think alot of things are replacements for other things. More power to them. I don't really know what else to say other than it really doesn't matter I suppose. There will be those who do things right and then there is everyone else. :dont-know

OCS may just be publishing something JBL published in a tech sheet. I guess some kind of replacement looks better than a "No Longer Serviceable" stamp. Most people would probably never even hear the difference. They just don't care.

I know what the designer of the systems would say because we've talked about the phenloics versus the titaniums extensively over many years and that is pretty much where I am coming from.

jblsound
11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
As far as what is on the OCS site about the replacement, I didn't know if it was just their thing to try and make a sale, or if it was put out by JBL.
My thinking would be that tweeter would probably work better for the L212 than one of the newer ones similar to those used on the PS. Plus one wouldn't have to rework the 066 hole.
But, I agree, changing from the 066 to Ti would make a difference. But as long as it was in pairs.

But what would be really stupid would be to change only one tweeter of a pair. And I just saw a few weeks ago, someone was trying to sell a speaker pair (don't remember what) that had two different tweeters!

4313B
11-21-2008, 10:47 AM
As far as what is on the OCS site about the replacement, I didn't know if it was just their thing to try and make a sale, or if it was put out by JBL. It's hard to say. I really don't know who makes the decisions with respect to replacement part retrofits. I think maybe at some point someone determines a closest match and that's that. I guess I would be a bit surprised if any kind of hard engineering went into the process.

But as long as it was in pairs.Yes. I have noticed that caveat in various tech sheets.

jblsound
11-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Its now the same with the PS. At least the last time I looked, the tweeters were no longer available so something else would have to be used.

Which is why I think TiDome has so many PS so he can use them for parts if he blows them up. :bouncy:

Seem like for the last year the available parts for the PS keeps changing.

4313B
11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
How funny. The replacement for the original is no longer available.

jblsound
11-21-2008, 12:04 PM
How funny. The replacement for the original is no longer available.
I thinks its been like that for the entire 2 years I've had the PT800s. I know TiDome has mentioned about the Audax TI tweeters that parts express was selling would work. But I see they are no longer on their site.

For a while the grilles were not available, now they are again.