PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Gasket 34499

jbl
11-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I removed my 2235H from the 4507 cabinet over the weekend. I wanted to check the fit of the above rubber gasket. Thinking that I would find a compressed and non-reusible gasket, I was surprised to find a perfect, uncompressed rubber gasket. I mounted the gasket along it's track on the rear of the 2235H.
Is it normal for the gasket to be in it's original condition after mounting, or am I doing something wrong?
I torqued all screws and didn't under or overtighten them.

jbl
11-20-2008, 07:52 AM
:confused:

grumpy
11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
black or white vinyl o-ring? usually I've seen them squished/deformed when
compressed between speaker frame and baffle... I've "restored" white ones
in hot water. Why yours wasn't compressed is a good question... perhaps the
4507 hole was on the small end of tolerance for that run (not allowing the frame
to set against the baffle if there is no gasket) and/or the frame wasn't tightened
down all the way. ... -or- the hole is too big (hadn't thought of that earlier) and
the gasket is doing nothing.

In any case, I'd just reuse the gasket. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything
wrong.

jbl
11-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Grumpy,
The black gasket. As you say, it didn't do much if anything.
I'll remove the 3110A cross over and shine a bright light into the cabinet. If there are leaks, the light will be visible around the 2235H. No light, no air leak. That't the best I can do.

I mounted the gasket along the 'lip' of the frame on the 2235H. Is it possible that this gasket is not the correct one for the 4507 cabinet?
I'll contact JBL and post their response.

Ron

jbl
11-21-2008, 12:01 PM
:dont-knowJust got off the phone with JBL Pro Tech department. Advised that the gasket shouldn't be compressed or deformed when removed from the cabinet.
If true, then what's the gasket for? I would think that compression would form a tight seal.
I don't get it.

4313B
11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
If true, then what's the gasket for?I hang them from various hooks and when I run out of hooks I throw them in boxes. I'm not real sure why I keep them, I would never used them on a loudspeaker.

We need to get a bunch of cork gaskets cut for all these bass drivers. JBL now uses paper gaskets but you can't get them because the people at JBL think it is perfectly acceptable to fold them in all kinds of ways before stuffing them in an envelope to send to you completely useless.

jbljfan
11-21-2008, 12:47 PM
JBL now uses paper gaskets but you can't get them because the people at JBL think it is perfectly acceptable to fold them in all kinds of ways before stuffing them in an envelope to send to you completely useless.

I own some of those and was about to make that mistake again.

grumpy
11-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Just got off the phone with JBL Pro Tech department.
Well, there ya go. Maybe all the o-ring vinyl gaskets I've seen have been
over tightened.

The cork jobs, stuck to the cabinets, sure make things simpler, but I've had
a few deteriorate... so die-cut replacements would be nice... I don't have the
patience (or steadiness of hand) to go the x-acto knife route. What would be
a reasonable selling price?... $10.00/pr ?