PDA

View Full Version : SR 4735 or Cabaret 4699B

RIGGED
11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok, I've decided to take out a loan from my credit union and procure one of these two models-when they show up on Ebay. Any thoughts?
I currently own a pair of SR4725s, they sound good-I just miss some midrange.

RIGGED

johnaec
11-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Personally, unless you want exactly one of those 2 speakers, I'd look for something newer, and consider a 2-way with either a 1.5" or 2" HF compression driver. 2-way cabinets with the combination of 2226 for LF and either 2" 2446 or 1.5" 2447 with 2380 or 2381 horns sound really good in my opinion. Or if you can afford it, stuff like the new, lightweight SRX715's are outrageous!

I'm using the SP215-95 cabinets for my band's PA - they have the 2226 and 2447, (still too heavy at about 90 lbs/cab). Personally, I think they sound excellent - the bigger compression drivers have much better midrange coverage than the little 1" drivers.

Edit: Here's an example of a JBL cabinet using the same drivers as mine, only in a bigger cabinet - the SR4726X: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120332461898&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

If willing to wait, I've seen better deals than that link, though I do think it's fair.

Over the years, JBL has made a bunch of different cabinets with the above combinations. The biggest difference is usually size of the cabinets. The ones I linked to above are also trapezoid, (narrower in back), for placing side by side in arrays.

Either of the two cabinets you mention should be fine, though, but I'd look for especially good deals to be convinced, (and have a couple strong roadies...).

John

SMKSoundPro
11-18-2008, 12:51 AM
I vote for the sr4726x. Good box.

The newer stuff is lighter weight, and just as JBL as the older stuff.

JBL Dog
11-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Ok, I've decided to take out a loan from my credit union and procure one of these two models-when they show up on Ebay. Any thoughts?

RIGGED

Between those two speakers? No doubt the 4699B!

:D

mikebake
11-18-2008, 07:29 AM
I prefer the SR4735X.
In any event, how much are you talking about spending? That will open up some discussion of alternatives/suggestions.

RIGGED
11-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I have 1,000 to spend, I have always like the appearance of the Cabaret line. I like my music at or near concert levels which explains my interest in these models. The WAF can be bribed. lol

Has anyone here had the chance to audition the 4699B?

RIGGED

JBL Dog
11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I have 1,000 to spend, I have always like the appearance of the Cabaret line. I like my music at or near concert levels which explains my interest in these models. The WAF can be bribed. lol

Has anyone here had the chance to audition the 4699B?

RIGGED

I've listened to both. I prefer the 4699B over the 4735. I've always felt the Cabaret line was one of JBL's best pros-series efforts.

4699B's rarely show up on eBay. If they do, you better hope they're local. Shipping fees would add at least 50% on to your purchase price. I sold a set of 4735A's last year and did not get a ton of money for them.... maybe $750 - $800 for the pair. They were never gigged, looked brand new. If you have $1k of play money, you should be able to get into either set.

Good luck!

gsb001
11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi Everyone.
I just picked up a pair of SR4735A's from a local Heritage member for $650, including two 42" speaker stands.

Upgraded from 4671-OK two way's.

It was a nice upgrade in the mid's. I did left to right channel comparison between the two and the 3 way was much better sounding. I can really tell the difference.

I too like to play it loud. I'm driving them with two bridged Carver M500T's - something like 800 watts' per side for the 4ohm speakers.

Very loud and this combination seems like they can play all day long with no effort or sense of pushing them or the amps.
Steve

RIGGED
11-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies dudes. Now, the hunt begins. I'm leaning towards the Cabarets but I don't think I could pass up the SRs if they made an appearance-patience, I must exercise patience!

RIGGED

RIGGED
11-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Well, I found a pair of 4699b however they are over 800 miles away from Houston. This would mean using two of my Southwest vouchers to get there, renting a hotel, then getting a rent a van to bring them back. The cabs appear to be in good condition however the owner tells me that one of the horns came unwired but he assures me that it works.
The WAF is making me sell off 75% of my other children in order to get these monsters. Assuming the horn diaphram is blown, how easy would it be to get a replacement?

As fate would have it, I just found a pair of SR4735 for about the same price in Colorado-freakin fate!
Judging by his emails, the fella appears to be on the level.

What do you fellas think?

RIGGED

JBL Dog
11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Well, I found a pair of 4699b however they are over 800 miles away from Houston. This would mean using two of my Southwest vouchers to get there, renting a hotel, then getting a rent a van to bring them back. The cabs appear to be in good condition however the owner tells me that one of the horns came unwired but he assures me that it works.
The WAF is making me sell off 75% of my other children in order to get these monsters. Assuming the horn diaphram is blown, how easy would it be to get a replacement?

As fate would have it, I just found a pair of SR4735 for about the same price in Colorado-freakin fate!
Judging by his emails, the fella appears to be on the level.

What do you fellas think?

RIGGED

I dunno. Your additional expenses (van rental, hotel, gas, fast food, new dia) will be at least $400. Subtract $75 if you replace the diaphragm with an aftermarket kit. The good thing is you're flying for free and gas is dirt cheap. What happens if you get out there and there is hidden damage?

Four-out-of-five voices in my head are saying "pass on this one".

JMHO

johnaec
11-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Well, the 4699's are definitely capable of more output, but at significantly more weight and somewhat larger size. But you still have to travel if you want the SR4735's, so that's a wash?

Have you considered the Cabaret 4628B's? They're 3-way, using a 15" E145, (great speaker!), instead of the 2226 in the 4735, the same 2118 as the 4735, but the small 2404H HF driver instead of the larger 1" horns of the other 2. Also, the 4628B cabinet size is much more friendly than the other 2. And they sound great - you'll find that opinion in a lot of threads here.

4628B's often show up at great prices on eBay, (I even own a pair, and could probably be convinced to sell them at a great price), but shipping from near San Francisco, (probably not too bad).

Look up some info on 4628B's - they might do just what you need.

John

JBL Dog
11-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, the 4699's are definitely capable of more output, but at significantly more weight and somewhat larger size. But you still have to travel if you want the SR4735's, so that's a wash?

Have you considered the Cabaret 4628B's? They're 3-way, using a 15" E145, (great speaker!), instead of the 2226 in the 4735, the same 2118 as the 4735, but the small 2404H HF driver instead of the larger 1" horns of the other 2. Also, the 4628B cabinet size is much more friendly than the other 2. And they sound great - you'll find that opinion in a lot of threads here.

4628B's often show up at great prices on eBay, (I even own a pair, and could probably be convinced to sell them at a great price), but shipping from near San Francisco, (probably not too bad).

John

:hmm:

I have a pair of 4628B's that I may also be looking to sell. One of the 2404's needs a new diaphragm. They're in great shape, 8.5/10. Sadly, I'm that same 800+ miles away.

:(

RIGGED
11-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I dunno. Your additional expenses (van rental, hotel, gas, fast food, new dia) will be at least $400. Subtract $75 if you replace the diaphragm with an aftermarket kit. The good thing is you're flying for free and gas is dirt cheap. What happens if you get out there and there is hidden damage?

Four-out-of-five voices in my head are saying "pass on this one".

JMHO

I hear ya Dog, I hear ya. The cool thing is, my hotel stay at the Marriott would be free as well, I rack up a ton of points thanks to my busy travel schedule. I emailed the dude asking him if the connection was loose on the horn end or the board side, he hasn't responded yet.

I emailed the other SR chap as well, no repsonse as of yet.

I really want me a pair of 4699b dammit! lol

RIGGED

RIGGED
11-22-2008, 02:29 PM

John

There are two pairs on Ebay at this moment, tempting...

RIGGED

johnaec
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
There are two pairs on Ebay at this moment, tempting...Well, this pair of 4628B's went for $405 - a steal, if you ask me: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110314511421&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

Mine would probably go in the same range...

John

RIGGED
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Dang, that was a steal.

Well, I managed to pick up a pair of 4691b speakers Saturday. They aren't what I was striving for but they were somewhat local. I do like the look of the cabs and they are loud and clear. They were removed from a club and were quite dusty. After some serious elbow grease, they don't look all that bad. I also had to remove 4 metal hooks which left 4 1/4 inch holes in each cab. Any ideas on how to cover them? I was thinking of using a wood filler and some black paint.

RIGGED

hjames
11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Dang, that was a steal.

Well, I managed to pick up a pair of 4691b speakers Saturday. They aren't what I was striving for but they were somewhat local. I do like the look of the cabs and they are loud and clear. They were removed from a club and were quite dusty. After some serious elbow grease, they don't look all that bad. I also had to remove 4 metal hooks which left 4 1/4 inch holes in each cab. Any ideas on how to cover them? I was thinking of using a wood filler and some black paint.

RIGGED

Accousticaly, you might be better using some dowel material, cut it to length, sand it slightly for a coarse fit, put a bit of gorilla glue into the hole, and using a spare peg, hammer it into place, stopping when its slightly below the surface. You can use a very slight bit of filler to cover the top of the peg afterwards.

RIGGED
11-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Accousticaly, you might be better using some dowel material, cut it to length, sand it slightly for a coarse fit, put a bit of gorilla glue into the hole, and using a spare peg, hammer it into place, stopping when its slightly below the surface. You can use a very slight bit of filler to cover the top of the peg afterwards.

Thanks for the intel, I'll go that route.

I must say, the 4691b rocks!
I really enjoy its copius amounts of SPL and its mobility.
This speaker has definitely intensified my desire to purchase the 4699b.

RIGGED

toddalin
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
I recently picked up three of the 4628Bs. These have custom road cases with wheels specifically made for the 4628Bs

All three E145s are perfect as are two 2118Hs and one of the 2404s. (Not even any stains on the cones.) One 2118 is missing, one 2404 needs a diaphram, and the other 2404 needs a diaphram and flare. The cabinets are nice and really only need some black touch-up for gigging.

If you can hack the transport from Orange County, CA, you can have all three for $500. I'll even throw in a working Peavey horn driver that was sitting in one of the cabinets. These are 4 cu feet and are actually smaller than an L200 cabinet.

RIGGED
12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I recently picked up three of the 4628Bs. These have custom road cases with wheels specifically made for the 4628Bs

All three E145s are perfect as are two 2118Hs and one of the 2404s. (Not even any stains on the cones.) One 2118 is missing, one 2404 needs a diaphram, and the other 2404 needs a diaphram and flare. The cabinets are nice and really only need some black touch-up for gigging.

If you can hack the transport from Orange County, CA, you can have all three for $500. I'll even throw in a working Peavey horn driver that was sitting in one of the cabinets. These are 4 cu feet and are actually smaller than an L200 cabinet.

Thanks for the tempting offer but I was lucky to have snuck the 4691s in.
The WAF made me promise that there would only be one more(4699b) pair of speakers allowed in the house, no ifs ands or buts.

And once, the big Cabarets make it in my abode, I'll have to sell off 75% of my collection, to make room-dang it's tuff being married. lol

RIGGED

JBL Dog
12-02-2008, 12:45 AM
dang it's tuff being married. lol

RIGGED

Not only was I lucky enuff to find someone that is into the collection of large vintage speakers, she's also allergic to diamonds!

RIGGED
12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Not only was I lucky enuff to find someone that is into the collection of large vintage speakers, she's also allergic to diamonds!

Serious? Hang on to that one. Unfortunately Dog, mine is not. This time it's not diamonds she is demanding, it's the unloading of the majority of my speaks.
The seller just sent me two more photos of the beasts and they sure are in good condition, no major dings or tears.
Suddenly, there are 3 out of 5 voices saying to make the trip. :)

HJames,

I took your advice and used the dowels-it worked perfect! Thanks again.

RIGGED

SMKSoundPro
12-04-2008, 12:46 AM
MIne allergic to diamonds, but in LOVE with shoes and Mink coats, all used vintage of course.

This way she does not feel as if the mink was killed for her, she recycling the coat from someone else.

Gotta love her!

she also knows how to recone. Quite handy!

scotty.

subwoof
12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
ooh ooh sticky fingers!

I have owned a few pair of the 4699B's and a few things come to mind.

(1) The deep low end is not there when compared to either the theater boxes ( with 2240,41,45 ) and the big studio monitors. The box volume and tuning is best suited for loud SR use.

(2) The chrome dome aluminum 10 mid would be warmer with the 2123 kit

(3) I seem to remember the horn as being a little hot and needed to be padded down.

(4) The box joints ( esp bottom ) have sometimes failed due to shock. installing internal cleats is a good idea along with adding 1/4 thick beveled runners on the bottom so you are not sliding them around on the soft plastic feet/corners.

(5) Install REAL input connectors. 1/4 jacks are a bad idea..:)

I tweaked a pair for a friends basement system and the E155 was swapped for the GTI1800-4 and the mid with a 2123 and it is being run full active.

It thumps. and peels paint.

sub

SMKSoundPro
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
My EN8 enclosures were customized/built in 1980 with a 2240/ E110/ and 2404h. Then while in college in Spokane in 1983, saw the new 4698 & 4699 and thought wow! We already did that! How did JBL hear about it?

I agree with Subwoof. Get rid of the E155 woofer and go to a 2240 or 2241. Then get the E110 reconed as a 2123. you will SO happy you did! Then, keep the 1" - 2425 driver and 2370 horn combo.

Re-tool the crossover, or rewire the box to a EP 6 pin connector and triamp it using a good DSP, or 3-way crossover and good third octave EQ and Crown amps and call it good!

It is definitely geared towards pro sound PA and also works for a good disco box, but the cabinet isn't braced very well. It could use some more internal bracing. some real hardwood skids on the bottom and a couple of dumb! teenagers to move them from gig to gig. Then get a pair of 4695 single 18 boxes to place these on.

I have been here with these boxes and I gotta tell you, there are some more efficient ways to accomplish the same tasks. I still use my EN8's that I built with the components listed above (ala 4698), but the gigs are fewer and they are just prime to turn into four 4345 studio monitors, very easily. What more do I need?

4695, 4698 and 4699's... Yes, I understand their appeal, and wish you good luck!

Scotty.

RIGGED
12-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the detailed info guys, I appreciate it.
Sadly, I must face the facts, they are too far and they are not in 100% working condition, so it's a no go this time.
The 4691Bs will work for the time being.

RIGGED

RIGGED
12-04-2008, 01:16 PM
[(5) Install REAL input connectors. 1/4 jacks are a bad idea..:)

Why are they a bad idea?

RIGGED

subwoof
12-04-2008, 06:59 PM
the 1/4 plug was NEVER intended to carry any substantial current and while you are inserting / removing it the wires are shorted. oops. The tip is connected to the wire terminal by punch-deforming the shaft end. They ALWAYS come loose.

The shaft / tip is brass and chrome plated. The jack is whatever the manufactured thought was good enough - usually steel with brass and/or tin coating. a virtual metal sandwich.

The plating wears off quickly. Any big spike in current will actually WELD a tiny part together. And if you know anything about the dielectric properties of dissimilar metal junctions, it becomes a DIODE and actually rectifies the signal in a very non-linear way.

Use the newer 4 wire neutrik speakon connectors like the rest of the industry and don't look back.

sub

RIGGED
12-05-2008, 06:46 AM
the 1/4 plug was NEVER intended to carry any substantial current and while you are inserting / removing it the wires are shorted. oops. The tip is connected to the wire terminal by punch-deforming the shaft end. They ALWAYS come loose.

The shaft / tip is brass and chrome plated. The jack is whatever the manufactured thought was good enough - usually steel with brass and/or tin coating. a virtual metal sandwich.

The plating wears off quickly. Any big spike in current will actually WELD a tiny part together. And if you know anything about the dielectric properties of dissimilar metal junctions, it becomes a DIODE and actually rectifies the signal in a very non-linear way.

Use the newer 4 wire neutrik speakon connectors like the rest of the industry and don't look back.

sub

Interesting stuff Sub, thanks.
Hopefully they make some kind of adaptor, I don't want to discect my equipment.

RIGGED

martin_wu99
10-15-2010, 08:34 AM

RIGGED
It took me a long time to find them,but they are rather better than 4699b or 4735!