PDA

View Full Version : Matching Amp for 4412A

micarc
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Hello everybody,

First of all it's not the first time I indirectly asked for this, so I prefered to start a new thread. I'd like some kind of advice because it's confusing me. I'd like to thank you all in advance.

I recently bought a pair of 4412A (rated 150W), and now I'm searching for a power amp to drive them (and a pair of JBL L112 I hope to buy in a couple months).

I'd like to get a really neutral amp whichs delivers no sound colloration. I read the Bryston are great amps, but I dont know what would be the correct wattage for the 4412A (and L112). I'm hesitating between a used Bryston 3B-ST(120 Wpc) and a used 4B-ST (250 Wpc). For me quality of the sound is more important than power. What other amp would be good?

Driving the 4412A and the L112 without enought power will damage the speakers? Usually some manufacturers advice a power amp capable to give as twice as the speaker's, is it true? Is a 250W too much and I can blow the speakers?

Well that's all I'd like to clarify. I was an ancient owner of a L112 matched with a sansui AU-D11 (120Wpc) and never listened to them louder than 2/3 of the max volume.

Thank you all for helping me. Have an excellent day.

rdgrimes
11-17-2008, 06:14 AM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/notes/power-req.htm

BMWCCA
11-17-2008, 06:15 AM
To save typing, I'll repeat what I said in your other thread, or were you just wanting consensual validation specific your Bryston predilection? :)

Others can offer more scientific and learned advice but basically pink noise simply covers the entire audible spectrum. Normally JBL power ratings mention headroom allowances for peaks that could double the continuous-power requirement of an amp and thus they would advise an amp capable of twice the stated peak power. So a 300-wpc amp isn't going to be too much power and anything substantially less than 150-wpc won't be awful unless you commonly listen at extremely loud levels.

Personally, I've never used less than a 95-watt-per-channel Crown D150 for any of my JBLs in nearly 35 years, and that includes my system with D130s rated at 25-watts. My L112s always worked fine with my original D150 and still do. My 4412As work great with a D150A-II, DC300A-II, PS-200, and sound best when played through a 190-wpc Crown PS-400, and I'm pretty sure that's not my imagination. In short, I don't think there's any way you can give your 4412As too much clean power, and the more power you give them to work with the better they'll sound. Playing loud with a low-power amp can result in distortion that will fry the 4412A's tweeters. But much of this depends on how you listen and what you're listening to.

BMWCCA
11-17-2008, 06:26 AM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/notes/power-req.htmWho writes this stuff? I think they need a good editor: "Berating the system to one-half its IEC power . . . " :confused:

"Bad system; no, no, no!"

berating = scolding

derating = reducing the power rating of (a component or device)

Fred Sanford
11-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Who writes this stuff? I think they need a good editor: "Berating the system to one-half its IEC power . . . " :confused:

"Bad system; no, no, no!"

berating = scolding

derating = reducing the power rating of (a component or device)

Reminds me of a Bemusement Park I once visited...

I liked the Bryston 4B that I had, very much. I think it would be a good match for 4412As.

je

Doctor_Electron
11-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I got very good results when using an Alesis Matica 500 amp with my 4410's. They seem to selling at low prices now.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/jun95/alesismatica.html

BMWCCA
11-19-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm hesitating between a used Bryston 3B-ST(120 Wpc) and a used 4B-ST (250 Wpc). For me quality of the sound is more important than power. What other amp would be good?
I don't recall in either thread if you mentioned a budget component to this search. If you're considering the 4B-ST I'm assuming you're prepared to spend around $1,000 for a used amp? That would seem to open up some options not yet discussed. While the Crown's I've suggested are much less than that by several factors, prices recently (at least on Ebay) have seemed be on the increase with several DC300A-IIs topping $400, Powerline Fours going for as much as $560, while the PS-400 is still available in find shape for under $300. I'd still suggest these for your 4412As unless your budget allows you to spend two-to-three times the value of your speakers on your amp. If so, more "power" to you! :applaud:

majick47
11-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Go with the Bryston 4b-st or similar rated power quality amp and you will not be dissapointed if it's within your budget.