PDA

View Full Version : Subwoof loss :(

subwoof
11-13-2008, 01:11 PM
This morning the love of my life died unexpectedly while on a walk with my daughter...She was a truly wonderful woman who tolerated and even enjoyed man-eating sized speakers that infiltrated every nook and cranny of the house as long as she got to hear her old college albums played through them and they weren't painted black.

So now 2 decade's worth of assembling and playing speaker guru seems trivial and no longer important. Perhaps when the dust settles a group of offerings, both assembled and parts collections will be offered here on the site. Stay tuned.

sub

Doc Mark
11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Hello, Subwoof,

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, my Friend!! Lately, it seems that I have too many friends who have had to endure this type of thing, and I've been on my knees a lot, for them and for their lost loved ones!

If you would be so kind as to share her first name, I would be honored to offer some prayers on her behalf, and for your family, too. We will all face this sort of thing in our lives, and it is never easy, nor can it ever be completely understood. Please know that your wife will be in our prayers tonight, and that if we can help you in any way, please let us know, and we'll do our best. My God Bless you in this time of loss, with strength, understanding, faith, and peace.

Sincerely,
Doc Mark and Sweet Bride

grumpy
11-13-2008, 02:15 PM
My deepest condolences.

-dave

timc
11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
condolences from me as well.

-Tim

hjames
11-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Mike, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss ...
I can't even imagine how this impacts your family - words fail.
Condolences and blessings from Em and I.

This morning the love of my life died unexpectedly while on a walk with my daughter...She was a truly wonderful woman who tolerated and even enjoyed man-eating sized speakers that infiltrated every nook and cranny of the house as long as she got to hear her old college albums played through them and they weren't painted black.
sub

johnaec
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't know what to say, Sub. I know you've been dealing with some serious issues in your life - I'm sorry this is the one that seems to have headed them up.

You know that everyone at this forum has nothing but the best in wishes and hopes for you - please don't hesitate to open your heart and talk to us about it - it can really help, and you know we're completely with you. Let us help to stand by you...

John

Robh3606
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear that. My condolences as well

Rob:(

Allanvh5150
11-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Condolences from NZ, Subwoof. Ther are no words to make you feel better but all at the forum are thinking of you.:)

opimax
11-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss, be well

Mark

pos
11-13-2008, 05:00 PM
:( my deepest condolences

Thomas

Skywave-Rider
11-13-2008, 05:27 PM
My heart goes out to you.
A friend once gave me these words
which were a small but appreciated comfort.

To One In Sorrow

Let me come in where you are weeping,
friend,

And let me take your hand,

I, who have known a sorrow such as
yours,

Can understand.

Let me come in -- I would be very still

Beside you in your grief;

I would not bid you cease your weeping,
friend,

Tears bring relief.

Let me come in -- I would only breathe
a prayer

And hold your hand,

For I have known a sorrow such as yours,

And understand.

speakerdave
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Sorry to hear it, man.

Joe Alesi
11-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I am very sorry to hear of your loss subwoof. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Deepest sympathies

Joe Alesi

Mr. Widget
11-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss...

Words seem so trivial at times like these. Now is the time to be with your family. I hope you come back to this one when the time is right.

Widget

Fred Sanford
11-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Words seem so trivial at times like these. Now is the time to be with your family. I hope you come back to this one when the time is right.

Widget

That's about all I could say, too- surround yourself with people that love you, and take your own time and pace to let the healing start. We'll be here whenever you choose to visit.

Very sorry for your loss- take care of yourself & your family.

je

Doc Mark
11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Good Evening, Subwoof, and All,

I know that all this has happened in a flash, and that, no matter how "prepared" you think you might be for such an occurrence, you never really are ready for it. But, if any memorial fund will be forthcoming, to help with expenses, and such, Sweet Bride and I would be honored to make a donation. When you have come to grips with the reality of all this, and when you are ready, please let us know if we can help in this way. It might not be much, but anything is far better than nothing. Again, you and your family will be in our prayers tonight, and more. Take care, my Friend, and God Bless!

Sincere Regards,
Doc and Sweet Bride

Titanium Dome
11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Sub: Sad, sad news. Hard on you, hard on your daughter. Keep an eye on her and have someone keep an eye on you as you work through this unfathomable tragedy. (I don't know if you have other kids.) Together you can reach the other side, and in your love for each other, the love of your life will be always present.

mikebake
11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
MD
Good heavens...........I'm so sorry. I know you've been through alot. Let us know how you are doing when you can.
MB

invstbiker
11-13-2008, 08:40 PM

Widget

Widg hit it right on the head, So sorry for your loss, Subwoof, FAMILY FIRST. My prayers are with you sir.

JBL 4645
11-13-2008, 08:47 PM
My deepest condolences I’m sorry for your loss.:(

louped garouv
11-13-2008, 10:49 PM
MD,
sorry to hear of your loss...
when you need strength try to remember the great times
(that's always helped for me)

deepest condolences...

DL

Ducatista47
11-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Sub, I am so sorry. My wife, though much younger than I, has nearly died twice. To what tiny extent that allows me to feel what you are feeling, I understand. You are one of my favorite people that I ever met and I know you will get through this.

Clark

Earl K
11-14-2008, 04:32 AM
Subwoof, please accept my condolences for your loss .

I'll also second TiDomes' advice .

<> Earl K

BMWCCA
11-14-2008, 05:54 AM
My thoughts are with you and your family, and I wish you all the best.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

4313B
11-14-2008, 06:08 AM
My condolences. Let us know if we can help in any way.

JBLRaiser
11-14-2008, 06:26 AM
I have gotten to know you through these threads, the threads that bind. We are all bound together by our love for JBL and the camaraderie it offers. I offer you my heartfelt condolences and sympathy. Yes, our audio love is miniscule when compared to the loves of our lives. You and your family are in my prayers.
William

Woody Banks
11-14-2008, 09:36 AM
MD

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with DL, it does help to remember those great times.

WB

MD,
sorry to hear of your loss...
when you need strength try to remember the great times
(that's always helped for me)

deepest condolences...

DL

SEAWOLF97
11-14-2008, 10:12 AM
WOW , I'm speechless .. very sorry for your loss.

mech986
11-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. My family will keep you and your daughter and extended family in our prayers. Obviously, she was doing her favorite thing when she was called to heaven.

Be strong but do let us know whatever we could do for you or yours.

Bart

Uncle Paul
11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
My sincerest condolences. Very sorry for your loss.

macaroonie
11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
My thoughts are with you Mike. A sad loss. Mac

SMKSoundPro
11-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Oh Heavens!

Dear Mike,

Lisa and I are so sorry for your loss! I understand the wife/partner speaker thing that you shared with your bride, and can only add that the time spent together is the blessing of this life.

The only difference is that my wife actually helps me paint speakers black! Go figure.

I received the Christmas present you sent yesterday with all of the little giblet parts. Thank you for parts! They will be put to good use.

Lisa and I are willing to make a donation to your memorial/charity in her honor. I am sure that the rest of this forum will also. We are a diverse, eclectic group of individuals from corners of the globe that I have never considered, and that being said, are still joined by loving partners that accept and support this JBL habit. They know part numbers, T&S parameters, tuning port sizes and tunings because (collectively) we mumble them in our sleep while that lay awake from our snoring from old speaker fiber fill induced bronchitis.

I am not able to enjoy the audio business without a dedicated partner, and understand your statement regarding cashing in the whole lot. You have given so many of us a deeper understanding of the sound business and its benefits and practices, stripping and flipping and winning bar bets with moronic bartenders about whether you could fix a piece of gear on the bar during the gig with only a swizzle stick and bottle cap!

All of those heroic sound man duties pale in conparison to losing the love of your life. This is the one thing fix-it men cannot fix. It drives us mad.

Lisa and I send you our loving thoughts, prayers to a God of your understanding and our un-dying support to you and your family!

Please know that we love you and are willing to help in any way possible!

Sincerely,

Scott and Lisa Koeller.

spkrman57
11-14-2008, 01:16 PM
A very sad event which must be very difficult for your family and you to endure.

I think the love of your life would not have you abandon the your audio hobby of which she was a very big part of.

Give things time and I hope you come through this tragic event as best as you can.

Sadly, Ron

matsj
11-14-2008, 02:58 PM
A big big sorry for your lost, "Sub" from Sweden. I hope you stay tuned.

B regards Mats

WDJ
11-14-2008, 03:17 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Wayne

Guido
11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about that Mike.
My thoughts are with you and I wish you strength to go through this.

richluvsound
11-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Dear Mike,

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss.

Richard.

subwoof
11-16-2008, 09:18 AM
We are coping well here. My wife beat hodgekins stage 4B in 1980 when the doctors gave her 2 weeks.

She struggled, finished both undergrad degrees and went on with llfe. Got a dual MBA, speaker nut for a hubby and 2 wonderful daughters from Nepal. Nice house, 2 cats and a great job.

We found a massive brain tumor 2 years ago *today* and the doctors again gave her little chance of surviving the 12hr surgery let alone having a quality life afterwards. She was crunching stock numbers and doing spread sheets on wed night to get our so-called portfolio back on track. She made dinner that night and told the oldest to bring the car back home from college. With gas. I even got an ass pinch...:)

Then the stupid valve acted up when nobody could do anything about it and blink, it's over. So at the big memorial party ( NOT a funeral home somber gawk ) we are throwing we will put earth wind + fire into the big speakers and dance the night away...

sanna.serog.com

Titanium Dome
11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
She's beautiful. And smart. You were lucky to have known her, and you'll always have her love to remind you how lucky you were.

Hope the girls are doing well.

scorpio
11-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Sincere condolences from Belgium Sub,

boputnam
11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
She's beautiful. And smart. You were lucky to have known her, and you'll always have her love to remind you how lucky you were....Well said, Doug. Thanks for that beautiful quote.

Mike, I don't know how we can help, but at-the-least, we, those entrusted by Don, wish to donate on-behalf of the Forum at-large.

As well, others offer of help and Doug's posting reminded me that he's been singly instrumental in helping us raise and coordinate giving for other events here on the Forum. If he's inclined to help me again, we can initiate a special fundraising if you are in need. Please let is know. We will watch this space...

So very sad.

Chas
11-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Sub, my sincere condolences. Bo, a great idea.
Charles.

Rolf
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss. I think I can understand as my wife just a few days ago had her third canser operation.

Don't know the outcome yet.

Best wishes from Norway.

johnaec
11-17-2008, 02:18 PM
sanna.serog.com (http://sanna.serog.com/)Very nice. Everyone should visit...

John

boputnam
11-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Very nice. Everyone should visit...Second that. A great blog of the recent years.

Mike and I shared a special bond when LH forum first moved to this new format, some 5-yrs ago. We discovered we both worked the earliest days of our pro-audio careers in The Jabberwocky, a reknowned club beneath Kimmel Hall at Syracuse U. I started as patchguy in '72, and worked up to engineer. Our first console was an Altec with rotary "faders", into flown A7's. Memorable times.

For those interested in donating, there are suggested charities on the blog page:

-----
Instead of flowers please consider contributing to a charity. Sanna & Mike’s favorite charities are:

- the local food bank (Here (http://www.google.com/search?q=food+bank+Ithaca&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGIC) are hits of a Google search for Ithaca area food banks. Alternatively, seek one in your local...)

- the SPCA (Here (http://www.spcaonline.com/) is the Ithaca area SPCA. Alternatively, seek one in your area...)

- Educate the Children fund, Ithaca/Kathmandu (http://www.etc-nepal.org/contact.php). Go to the "How to Help" pulldown...
-----

Unless Mike asks otherwise, we have decided to forgo an organized effort here and will chose amongst the organizations they support. We hope anyone inclined will do likewise.

toddalin
11-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Very sorry for your loss. You have our deepest regrets.

Fangio
11-18-2008, 02:30 AM
My sincerest condolences Mike.

subwoof
11-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Hello fellow forumites...

Thanks again for the wonderful thoughts and while we are not asking specific donations, recipients, etc any gift should be directed at places where it will do the most good.

While in Nepal adopting our daughters I was struck at the absolute poverty and the cleverness of the people in the mountains to adapt. 11,000 feet up means a boatload of sunshine but with no electricity, roads or communication, and a central government that had little presence, Only the UN was able to supply medical, education and other basic services.

The charity that my wife volunteered for here in ithaca ( and in nepal ) spends nearly 100% of their funds helping women in those remote regions have access to medical services, trains them to manage finances and also provides micro loans for self employment opportunities.

In that sense the trickle down economic model does work and allows the male-dominated society a way to accept ( and forces them to change..) Only boys are sent to schools and the girls are relegated to starting family's at adolescence.

Well that shit's gonna change one person at a time. The THREE older siblings of our daughters have now finished school and are students at the central university in Kathmandu, Nepal. One's going to be a pediatrician, another an economic major and the third is still deciding.

140 dollars a month gave them a complete primary education and all things needed for school. hell it was very close to my BEER budget....:o)

Anyways, decide what's best ( if any ) and go for it. I have plenty of speaker parts, amplifiers and such to keep me busy and in a decent cash flow for a long time.

And now the 4688 is coming out of mothballs for a test drive...with a drury-rigged MA10,000 crown monoblock.

sub

BMWCCA
11-18-2008, 10:59 AM
The charity that my wife volunteered for here in ithaca ( and in nepal ) spends nearly 100% of their funds helping women in those remote regions have access to medical services, trains them to manage finances and also provides micro loans for self employment opportunities.It looks like a great organization doing some fine work (http://www.etc-nepal.org/). Just a note to say there is at least one invalid link on their site (http://www.etc-nepal.org/) (bottom). To make a donation, try the one at the top under "how to help" or use this: https://etc-nepal.ejoinme.org/MyPages/EducatetheChildrenGivingPage/tabid/55525/Default.aspx

All the best. Hopefully my three daughters have a Dad as good as your daughters do!

Titanium Dome
11-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Well said, Doug. Thanks for that beautiful quote.

Mike, I don't know how we can help, but at-the-least, we, those entrusted by Don, wish to donate on-behalf of the Forum at-large.

As well, others offer of help and Doug's posting reminded me that he's been singly instrumental in helping us raise and coordinate giving for other events here on the Forum. If he's inclined to help me again, we can initiate a special fundraising if you are in need. Please let is know. We will watch this space...

So very sad.

Second that. A great blog of the recent years.

Mike and I shared a special bond when LH forum first moved to this new format, some 5-yrs ago. We discovered we both worked the earliest days of our pro-audio careers in The Jabberwocky, a reknowned club beneath Kimmel Hall at Syracuse U. I started as patchguy in '72, and worked up to engineer. Our first console was an Altec with rotary "faders", into flown A7's. Memorable times.

For those interested in donating, there are suggested charities on the blog page:

-----
Instead of flowers please consider contributing to a charity. Sanna & Mike’s favorite charities are:

- the local food bank (Here (http://www.google.com/search?q=food+bank+Ithaca&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGIC) are hits of a Google search for Ithaca area food banks. Alternatively, seek one in your local...)

- the SPCA (Here (http://www.spcaonline.com/) is the Ithaca area SPCA. Alternatively, seek one in your area...)

- Educate the Children fund, Ithaca/Kathmandu (http://www.etc-nepal.org/contact.php). Go to the "How to Help" pulldown...
-----

Unless Mike asks otherwise, we have decided to forgo an organized effort here and will chose amongst the organizations they support. We hope anyone inclined will do likewise.

Just say (or write) the word, and I'll be happy to organize something, but I agree it's better to follow the lead already established by the family.

boputnam
11-18-2008, 04:31 PM
:)

4313B
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Nice Bo!

elwood127
11-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Being married 25 years myself I often wonder what I would do in your place. I'd spend every moment possible with the kids and grand kids. After all, she lives in them. Good luck my friend.:(

subwoof
11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Damn.

I will be downtown later today and will stop by their offices and let them know..:o)

Thanks guys ( and girl )

:cheers:

Titanium Dome
11-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Well done, well done,

Guido
11-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Well Done Bo. Thanks! :yes:

hjames
11-20-2008, 04:48 AM
:)

Awesome deed, Bo - thanks for all of us!

opimax
11-20-2008, 06:33 AM
I feel my donation has been used well!

Mark

Doc Mark
11-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Good Morning, Mike, Bo, Doug, and All,

I am so happy to see all this taking place, and fully understand the importance of it all! Sweet Bride and I will also make a donation on behalf of your lovely Sanna, Mike, and as has already been said, her beauty and inner strength beam forth from that lovely photograph of her, like a lighthouse beacon!! Having been super happily married to Sweet Bride for over 28 years, I understand the depth of feeling that such marriages, as you and Sanna shared, can offer two very special people!! All our continued best wishes to you and your family, Mike, and it's so very good to see you back at LH, doing what you do so well, and helping the rest of us with your vast experience and JBL wisdom!! Well done, and may God Bless you and your family, and your Sweet Sanna, always!!

Every Good Wish,
Doc and Sweet Bride

boputnam
11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
I feel my donation has been used well!Glad to know that.

Thanks, to all.

FWIW, there was a measurable response. It was obvious this touched many that subwoof has helped, either through JBL deeds or posted advice here, or simply by Forum friendship. We are family (of sorts...), afterall. :)

Oldmics
11-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Sub

So sorry for your loss.:(

Your well being and future are in my prayers.

Stay strong Buddy!

Oldmics

subwoof
11-20-2008, 10:20 PM
The ETC charity cannot believe the sudden influx of cash - they promptly added a whole page dedicated to sanna ( she was on the board of directors for a year ) to their newsletter and will be setting up a table at her cornell service. There will be a mirror service in Kathmandu with a host of cornell-educated government ministers and professors that we knew here officiating. Hell - when we came home with the girls a friend's wife babysat them - he will be the PM someday.

ps - hey bo: my mother-in-law gave me the old college rental place on Ostrom ( near Euclid ) and my daughter is living there while in school. I have been telling the grad students living there about die-hard happy hour at the jab and they CANNOT believe that colleges had bars then. And 18 to drink..:o)

And the best part....25 CENTS for a beer?????????????????

And to keep with the old dayz theme they have a pair of 4430 clones and a boatload of crowns to make them thump. But a crappy MP3 file off the internet / laptop just does NOT sound like the fillmore east album or dark side of the moon on vinyl.

sub

boputnam
11-21-2008, 11:07 AM
... I have been telling the grad students living there about die-hard happy hour at the jab and they CANNOT believe that colleges had bars then. And 18 to drink..:o)I was recently telling Jab stories, myself, to Stu, the guitar player in JGB.

One night, early 1972, the Jabberwocky house engineer didn't show and I was patchguy/tech. It was past showtime and he was nowhere in sight. The artist's manager asked if I could manange the console, and so the show started. Bryan Bowers opening for Roger McGuinn (BYRDS). At the break between McGuinn's sets, he and the manager came to FOH pretty impressed with the show, and invited me to go the rest of the tour with them - said the mix was best of the entire tour, so far. Pretty much bowled me over! But, no, I couldn't go - I wanted to stay in school. Anyway, I had tickets to NRPS the next night at Colgate - no way! was I gonna miss them! :rotfl:

Robh3606
11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
I had tickets to NRPS the next night at Colgate - no way!

Looking for Panama Red??

Rob:)

boputnam
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Looking for Panama Red??Uh, sorta, ;) but no so much - Rowan hadn't yet written it... :p

But, it was the debut tour of Buddy Cage on steel, and the ending of the run of Torbert and Dryden. It was by-far the best year(s) of NRPS...

subwoof
11-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Did a show with Yorma ( from the jefferson airplane ) and his crew spiked the punch with acid after the first set. Fresh out of college, I knew right away but the other guys were virgins and this could be a problem.

Started seeing those alice in wonderland wall panels talk to me and I let the rest of the SR company know just how not funny load-out was going to be....

The band tried to swipe our mic case - we had the cops make them unload the band van to see that it was grabbed by "mistake"

ppppfffftttttt......yeah right...........cough cough.

They went on to trash the suite at hotel syr and the cops in binghampton did a little "search of ones person" to the whole entourage the next night...

Never did find out the result but we heard the tour got canceled for some "sore throat" reason.

2 weeks later it was Ritchie Blackmore's "rainbow" followed by 38 special.

And then little feat in walnut "park" Friggin extension cords to EVERY frat to power that one..:)

Just can't get that on campuses anymore.

:o)

subwoof
11-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Now I have that white horse mesqualito tune bouncing in my head and I will HAVE to down into the basement and find that album + jacket.

And a phono preamp. And put a tone arm on a BTS 1200. And find a cartridge with a good stylus.

Now all I need is a frisbee to "sort" the stash.

And oh yeah - panama red.

is it still 20/per ?

:cheers:

Robh3606
11-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Just in case you can't find the album cover.

Rob:)

Oldmics
11-21-2008, 04:58 PM
"is it still 20/per ?"

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oldmics-those were the daze"s

boputnam
11-21-2008, 05:07 PM
...those were the daze"s:p

doucanoe
01-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Sub, I was speaking on the phone this morning with spkrman57 and he happened to mention the passing of your wife. I knew nothing of this until this morning.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and wish to extend our deepest condolences from myself and my family. Our prayers are with you.

RC